View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 07:11 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Elderly long-term diabetic having weird episodes

Jesse was a free feeder before she was diabetic . I would give her a bowl of food and she would come back to it during the day to eat . Kind of like a cat . She became more food motivated after she became diabetic . She briefly went on prescription food but I wanted something a bit more healthy but those diets seem to do well with blood sugar . I was willing to give up some blood sugar control over a more healthy diet . My first try wasn't very good going with a raw diet . That was my first mistake and I have made a few more . Dogs like humans need balanced diets to be healthy and diabetics especially and carbs are part of that equation to get injected insulin to work

We struggled with regulation and was at my wits end and maybe nearing the end of this battle . I discussed on the forum about going to one meal a day . I had support from some and not a good idea by others but I already new you could give insulin without food .

I new by her stools I needed to get off the raw diet . It was a process adding and removing until I found what her body liked . The final key was pinto beans which a forum member suggested . I give her vegetables grind up in a food processor ,canned mackerel , skinless chicken , sweet potato yams ,pinto beans , hard boiled eggs and I sprinkle yeast flakes on top . I use egg shells for calcium and giver her milk thistle ( liver support ) and B-12 .

You also could use a fast acting insulin like R in response to higher levels and try to keep the everyday insulin you are using the same amount . Constantly adjusting that can limit the body to adapt .I have used it and also novolog when jesse had more difficult times with blood sugar . When she had epilepsy seizures her blood sugar would skyrocket so I found it useful at times but I haven't used it in a while as her epilepsy mysteriously disappeared with all her anxiety . Maybe the diet helped I dont know and she is not telling

Change is difficult especially at an older age ( jesse was 5.5 years old ) . So you have to look at the risk reward and quality of life and only the caretaker would know that . Even veterinarians can only give some guidance but they dont spend everyday with a pup. Once again if you need specifics on a specific thought let me know .