View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Joy the Mini-Schnauzer

I suspect the diet could be improved by adding some carbs.

For many dogs, meals that are primarily protein are not digested quickly enough to match up with their use of insulin. So you get the kinds of ups and downs you are seeing. At breakfast, you feed and inject and the insulin immediately starts dropping her blood sugar, long before she's digested any of the food.

Then, when she does digest the food, there's not much insulin circulating to go with it and the blood sugar rises sharply.

The best curve is the flattest curve possible. That allows you to give the tightest regulation. Plus she will feel better when she isn't going through such sharp drops and spikes.

Plus, 6 units could be too much.
- How much does she weigh?
- What kind of insulin is she being given - NPH, Vetsulin, other?
- Is she getting two meals and injections per day?

We can be more helpful if you can fill us in on the details.

I see lots of vets are using continuous glucose monitors. I don't think much is known about how well they work with canine blood. There are differences that affect the accuracy of monitors meant for humans. But you can still see the patterns and that the blood sugar is going through sharp drops and rises that you want to level out.

But we need more information about what she's getting when, how much she weighs, etc. to know if the insulin dose is concerning.

Natalie