Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diabetes, Cushings and Pancreatitis in my Dog

Hi everyone,

So I was getting really excited yesterday because at 5 PM his blood sugar was 385 and then at 6:30 this morning it was 474.. so. I took it at lunch

I took it at lunch and it jumped up to 568. I just took it now and the first reading on the Alpha track just said high so I did it again and it registered 608.

Why would his blood sugar just keep going up after the insulin shot?
    15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

I wouldn’t be to concerned right now about the higher mid day reading. He is still on a low dose of insulin. Once his dose is increased, hopefully, you’ll start to see some downward movement in all his BG readings.

It will probably take several 1 unit increases until you see some progress.
      Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
      Diabetes: Aug 2013
      Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
      Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

We've all said his insulin is low. Increase it one unit now. Give it a week and do a curve.
        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

two reasons i found with my dog for bg rising is i fed too much food resulting in a mountain curve. i.d would read the manufactures feed guide for 29 lbs .
          1 7/8 cup a day divide this in half 2 times a day.

also not enough insulin bg will rise. from what i read your injecting a lower does resulting in higher numbers.... going up one unit should help.

try not to follow one number wait 7 days do a curve see the big picture.

mo
          Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
          20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

I raised his insulin yesterday morning to six units and finally got my brand new Alpha track machine in the mail and had the vet calibrate it for me.

Chewy.com dropped off the new Alpha track machine, and apparently when my husband turned his back the delivery person gave Yukon a treat.

My husband tried to grab the treat out of his mouth but Yukon already had half of it eaten. Last night his level was 564, but today it's been crazy 631 at 6:30 AM and at 5:40 PM 697.

I don't know if this is because of the new machine, the increase in insulin, the treat, or me taking him off the melatonin.

The doctor wants me to do a blood test tomorrow every two hours after I give him his morning insulin and she said keep doing the blood test until his blood goes the lowest and then starts to increase, once it starts to increase I can stop the blood tests.

She mentioned something about the somogyi effect?
            15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

i wouldnt do a curve for a week because of the changes you.ve made that take at least 5 to 7 days to take affect on the blood sugar.

raising insulin yesterday. stopping the melatonin. eating a treat.

just test periidically to catch a low blood sugar. post here if it goes below 100

mo
              Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 10-13-2018, 03:27 PM.
              20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

I don't think Yukon could even get to 100 with all the issues he has (Cushings, Pancreatitis, IBD).

Yukons BG has only been in the 300 and 400 range twice in two weeks. We are testing twice a day right before food/insulin shot. Other than those two readings it appears to be going up, even with the increase in insulin.

It has been in 500's and now 600/700's. I can tell he is not feeling well.

Comment

Originally posted by YukiesMom View Post
                  I don't think Yukon could even get to 100 with all the issues he has (Cushings, Pancreatitis, IBD).

Yukons BG has only been in the 300 and 400 range twice in two weeks. We are testing twice a day right before food/insulin shot. Other than those two readings it appears to be going up, even with the increase in insulin.

It has been in 500's and now 600/700's. I can tell he is not feeling well.
                  you dont know for sure if Yukon ,s bg is going lower. you need to test more especially at 1 1/2 to 2 hours after eating to see if the food and insulin are meeting up. is he drinking and urinating more?

Comment

Hi Everyone,

So I did a 2 hour Curve today on Yukon because his levels have been so high and this is what it revealed:

YUKON’S 2 HOUR BLOOD GLUCOSE CURVE – SUNDAY, OCTOBER 14th
                    6:30 a.m. 608Yukon’s Blood Glucose getting up no food
                    6:45 a.m. Gave Yukon Food and then Shot after Food
                    8:45 a.m. 705
                    10:45 a.m. HIAlphaTrak 2 said HI only, went for a walk and drove
                    to my Mom’s, she gave him a small boiled chicken treat

12:45 p.m. 546

2:45 p.m. 460Gave him boiled chicken treat after taking test

4:45 p.m. 430We took a walk and swim in between 2:45 & 4:45

6:30 p.m. 498Right before getting his Dinner & Insulin Injection

8:45 p.m. ????Two Hours after Evening Injection, going to take it
                    Will let you know

Comment

8:45 pm 2 hours after food and insulin 671

Comment

Looks like your seeing high across the board and have an opportunity to raise the dose .
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

That curve definitely suggests that an increase is needed. At 6 units, you’re still only at the normal starting dose for Yukon’s weight.

I know your vet mentioned Somogyi Rebound, but Rebound only occurs when a dog is getting too much insulin. You’re a very long way from that.

Comment

I agree - what do you think about me giving his insulin and then feeding him 20-30 minutes later to let the insulin take effect? The only reason I am saying this is because his BG spiked really high within the first 4 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by YukiesMom View Post
                              I agree - what do you think about me giving his insulin and then feeding him 20-30 minutes later to let the insulin take effect? The only reason I am saying this is because his BG spiked really high within the first 4 hours.
                              Good thought. That may help with the food spike. But... Just remember that the whole point of giving insulin after food is so that you can adjust the dose if he doesn’t eat his full meal, preventing low BG later in the day. With his overall high BG, it wouldn’t matter right now.

Comment

That's still a dangerous strategy, giving insulin before food, in case the dog doesn't eat.
                                Better to get the dose increase going week after week and work towards decent fasting sugar levels.
                                Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Working...
                                X