View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Diagnosed today - lots of confusion and questionable veterinary visit/info

With insulin, remember it doesn't work that fast, so having high sugar 20 minutes after insulin is not abnormal, especially if fasting sugar was high. Giving a second dose is going to alter the course of the total insulin and that won't give you a true picture of what the normal dose does.

A dog's fasting sugar will be different every day, so sugar levels after food and insulin will be different, at different times. One thing I and probably others have learned is not to try and correct sugar levels with extra insulin or different doses on any given day. The goal is to find the right dose and stick with it.

And you really need to do a full curve, somehow.

We have a chihuahua and I know how delicate and sensitive they can be. I think if she became diabetic, I'd probably pull out my Genteel lancing device, shave a spot on either side of her tail base, and use that on her haunches.
I know it costs money but the Genteel might be the answer for a sensitive dog.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.