hind leg weakness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pancreatitis flareup?

Really glad it's not pancreatitis - painful and very expensive to treat! Our nondiabetic dog recently came down with a bit of colitis. No idea why. Bland diet and some Flagyl and he was back to normal in a few days.

Natalie

Comment

• Bad fastings for 2 weeks, why?

Not sure if it's an issue or it will pass, but have a look at the numbers, the pattern and progression. I know the various culprits that can cause insulin resistance, but don't want to jump to conclusions or call the vet yet. Recent urinalysis showed no UTI.
      I checked the meter, it's OK.
      These are all morning fastings unless indicated. His morning fastings are usually in the 4-10 {72-180) range. If his fasting is high on any day, he usually corrects and levels out within a day or two.

Oct. 22: 9.8 {175)
      Oct. 23: 15.4 {278)
      Oct. 24: 8.5 {155)
      Oct. 25: 15.2 {275)
      Oct. 26: 4.4 {80)
      Oct. 27: 19.1 {345)
      Oct. 28: 13.5 {245)
      Oct. 29: 13.2 {240)
      Oct. 30: 13.2 {240)
      Oct. 31: 13.1 {235)
      Nov. 1: 8.2 {150)
      Nov. 2: 15.2 {275)
      Nov. 3: 21.2 {380)
      Nov.3, 3:30 p.m.: 13.1 {235)
      Nov. 3, 5:30 p.m.: 12.2 {220)
      Nov. 4: 16.1 {290)
      Nov. 4, 3:00 p.m.: 22.1 {400)
      Nov. 5: 7.8 {140)
      Today : 13.5 {245)
      Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

• Re: Bad fastings for 2 weeks, why?

I know he has had better, but those fasting numbers don’t look too bad. Are his non fasting numbers also higher than normal?
        Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
        Diabetes: Aug 2013
        Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
        Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

I haven't spot checked other times of day (except for the few shown), but it may not tell me much without a full curve. I should at least check pre supper fastings.

He does have the odd high fasting now and then, but this is too many consistently, hence my concern. Especially when his usual fastings are lower than this.
          Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Was his nighttime activity any different? eat later, up and down more? Except for that 140, I'd think he maybe might be running a little high in the morning due to no activity all night

My Jenny never had great regulation so I'd have been pretty content with those numbers as long as he feels good
            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Jesse was running higher recently which appeared to be an ear problem. corrected that and sugar came back down
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Checked his sugar at 6:00 p.m., pre-supper, it was 17.2, not good. Don’t know if his curve these days is still kinda mountain or bowl. Either way, his body isn’t correcting.
                He had 2 walks today, didn’t seem to help. I’ll give it a few more days.
                His evening routine and activity is the same.

Comment

Sugar this morning was 6.6 (120) so he corrected overnight. Now, can we keep this. If good numbers are sporadic, then I’ll assume something is not right, and by good numbers I mean less than 11.0 (195) for fasting. That’s what he’s been getting pretty consistently for a while.

Comment

I can only wish for FBG numbers like these...Do you keep a chart overtime that others can review? Good Luck!!!
                    Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.
                    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wD4/edit#gid=0

Comment

Things haven't really improved. My main question is: if he has an issue that causes insulin resistance {infection, thyroid, whatever), would it give him higher fastings everyday consistently? Or could his fastings be good one day, then bad for 2 days, then good for a day, etc.

His morning fastings for November have been {Cdn/U.S.}: 8.2/150, 15.1/270, 21.2/380, 16.1/290, 7.8/140, 13.5/245, 6.6/120, 13.1/230, 13.8/250, 12.6/225, 10.1/180, 20.2/360, 10.2/180, 8.6/155, 16.3/295.

Comment

Its even possible the change in the seasons could have an impact but what i have seen with other medical conditions like jesses ears is inconsistency in her tastings

Jesse has always had changing regulation .for the summer it was very good but lately she has been spiking after dinner and shot so i wait to see a pattern established then address the issue

when the numbers are inconsistent it makes it more difficult to alter or change the routine to address the problem because your not sure what that actually is and its not consistent

I can understand your frustration i have had 8.5 years with jesses diabetes and a ton of ups and downs and many times for no apparent reason

when regulation changes and if its abruptly you try to figure what has changed

we get so settled into a routine with decent regulation we get into cruse control. when that changes its upsets our balance also . The good thing for you two regulation hasn't completely fell off the tracks . Its still pretty good

i could not tell you what jesses fasting will be . Its nice to see it in a good range but have to deal with not so good ones to
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I see in your signature that you vary the add ons to his food. Maybe sticking with one of the add ons, like pumpkin, for several days in a row might give more consistent fasting numbers.
                          Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                          Diabetes: Aug 2013
                          Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                          Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Sorry for the confusing signature, I don't vary the addons, I stick with the same at each meal pretty much.
                            Mornings he gets pumpkin and pinto/oatmeal puree. Supper he gets blueberries and pinto/oatmeal. Same quantities of each.
                            Once in a while I'll substitute spinach/green bean puree for the pumpkin.

So I think with these fasting inconsistencies, which are not typical of the past year, it's time to see the vet and do a full bloodwork, thyroid, triglycerides for starters.
                            Last edited by Raysaint; 11-16-2018, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Checking for an update - but know the holiday may delay things.

Natalie

Comment

Had bloodwork done Friday, waiting for the results. Last 2 morning fastings were way high. I hope it's something treatable like thyroid.

Comment

Working...
                                X