Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Monster Vinny

I know I'll be testing him a lot no matter what does I give him!

Thanks everyone for your input.

Ok...so now for a Confessions of a Dumbass Dog Mother. I think I've mentioned before that I have migraines. Actually, I have chronic migraines...a day without some kind of headache is a complete joy to me! Well yesterday, I woke at 4:30am with one, got up took some medicine and went back to bed until I needed to get up for Vinny. Vinny of course, didn't remind me.

So, I get up, let the dogs out, somehow remember that I wanted to test him before eating, gave him and Bogey their food and proceeded to go back to bed for awhile till I had to get ready. Last night, John said something about me giving Vinny his shot in the morning and I freaked...I completely forgot that part of our morning ritual! ..."and the Dog Mother of the Year Award goes to..."

We checked his BG before his dinner and it was 298. So, just how bad did I screw up? I felt so horrible, but since his BG wasn't too high I didn't become panicked. Is there something we should have done when we figured this out?

Obviously, I will be waking John's butt up next time I have a migraine like that so I don't screw up again.
    Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Hahaha welcome to the club!!!! We've all done that or something similar at least once!!!. Life goes on, and as you found, our babies are really pretty resilient to our screw ups!!

If you had remembered 2-3 hours after you should of, I would have given 1/4 dose, but any more than that... Just wait till the normal time and start over.

Sandy

Comment

Been there too my alarm didnt go off an internet error. Called the vet right away He was in the 2 to3 hours gave him a 1/4 of the 5 units that morning then his normal 5 iu at night.

He was wagging his tail smiling as if to say hawhaw you screwed up. He cheered me up I
        Felt sooo bad

We make mistakes Mel cheer up

Mo
        Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

I have forgotten the shot, given the shot twice for the same meal, forgotten to put the food down, left the insulin out on the counter for a couple of days and used her allergy shot needle without even noticing. I have even better mishaps with needles and giving shots to myself lol. It is a wonder my dog has made it this long but sometimes they do good despite us...
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Thanks all! Being new at this, I was sure I was the only one that could do such a thing! Thanks for reminding me that we're all human!

Mel

Oh, btw, I added some pics to an album called Zoo...that's not all of them, but you'll get the idea!
            Last edited by Monsters Momma; 07-17-2013, 06:00 PM. Reason: pictures
            Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

i alarm my cell phone for all jesses shots walks and food . i would have forgot many times if i did not have my cell phone

i would not worry about the numbers not much you can do about it
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Vinny is making no sense to me whatsoever. I was going to do a full curve today, but got called into work...here's what I've got.

He's on 17.5 units 2x a day...
                287 6am before breakfast
                244 7:45 am
                309 2:30 pm

I'll do another test at 4 and 6.

Here's what I'm not getting...this was his curve last week at 17 units
                6 am 199 (before food and insulin)
                8 am 190
                10 am 199 AT2 and 107 Prime
                12 pm 229
                2 pm 192 AT2 and 132 Prime
                4 pm 205 (vet AT) 246 (our AT2) 209 (our Prime
                6 pm 236

Please tell me this makes sense to someone because I really was expecting the number to be nearly the same or go down a touch.

Comment

he could be a little off from that skipped shot I wouldn't worry too much. See where he is in a day or 2. Keep watching to make sure he's not getting sick
                  Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Missed the 4pm test...had to pick up our daughter and was too worried about that.

The 6pm number was 298.

I'm concerned about the numbers because we're taking the dogs to the lake tomorrow for the weekend. Vinny won't be swimming...a lab that doesn't like water! But Bogey will be hard to keep away from it.

I'll be keeping a close eye on him this weekend. <insert icon with really big eye>

Comment

i would agree with peggy and actually if he is running a bit higher that maybe a good thing .

have fun
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Hmm. I don't understand that. Maybe watch for a UTI? But most likely it was the missed shot - or heat. I don't know where you live but here in Pennsylvania it is HOT! Teddy just lays on the AC vent all day.
                        Margaret; Teddy is a 10 year old 40 lb. cockapoo; relion-Novolin-N 2x - 17 units; Natural balance fish and sweet potato; blind from cataracts and glaucoma

Comment

Well we didn't go to the lake...long story. Anyway, I decided to do a curve on Vinny today...
                          326 6am before food or insulin
                          409 8am
                          338 10am

Just when you think you've got this figured out. We haven't seen numbers like these since he was first diagnosed. I'm not sure what is going on here!

Comment

there can be a honeymoon period for some dogs still producing some insulin and when that decides to quit the need for insulin may need to go up .

another thought when seeing a change in blood sugar especially going higher its possible an infection maybe creeping in

it seems like after the missed shot things seem to have gotten out of whack .

Comment

Well, now at noon his number is 232. I don't get how missing one dose can do this several days later.

So, I guess we need to check him out at the vet? He seems to be acting just find; playing, eating, laying around. Pretty normal. We change his dosing by 1/2 unit and it throws everything off (plus of course the missed dose). These numbers make me feel like we should go up even higher with the insulin.

Comment

Changing insulin dose can take at least 3to5 days of wobbling. Patience . It could be an infection. If you up his insulin a half unit and it takes it down he just needed more insulin
                                Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X