Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
    Had to get the honey out this morning. 38 on the AlphaTrak2! I'm sure this is the lowest I've ever seen.

Just last night I was telling Linda how great Annie had been for the past several weeks. For example, she had four tests yesterday, all great numbers:

0730 - 100 pre breakfast
    0930 - 111
    1930 - 117 pre dinner
    2330 - 166

All tests were AlphaTrak2 readings. Will take another test in a few minutes.

Craig
    Hope it was a hiccup.
    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

good catch craig

tighter regulation has the potential for getting into that lower range but your testing and kept annie in a very good range. i guess its expected from time to time

i think jesse dropped low last night she woke up to a higher fasting .
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Obviously Annie wants to be tested more often! good catch, so glad she tolerated it without a seizure. your #'s yesterday didn't look like you had loads of wiggle room. Let us know if you wind up decreasing her insulin a bit.
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Good catch Craig! I know every time I tell Marijane that Spirit seems to be on cruise control I get one of those really low numbers or really high numbers. He went 2 weeks with every reading (6-8 a day) between 90-180....then boom, yesterday he woke with a 249 reading and stayed over 200 all day! Today he woke with an 84 and hasn't been over 150 for the first 7 hours after insulin.

Lesson is......don't say a thing....high or low.....LOL
          Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
            Had to get the honey out this morning. 38 on the AlphaTrak2! I'm sure this is the lowest I've ever seen.

Just last night I was telling Linda how great Annie had been for the past several weeks. For example, she had four tests yesterday, all great numbers:

0730 - 100 pre breakfast
            0930 - 111
            1930 - 117 pre dinner
            2330 - 166

All tests were AlphaTrak2 readings. Will take another test in a few minutes.

Craig

Recovering OK from the 38 morning low:

0730 - 38 normal food, normal insulin, 3 puppy treats (biscuit) smeared with honey
            0830 - 69 one more treat with honey
            1100 - 148

I'll probably test again around 4-5pm (1600 - 1700).

Even at 38, she was acting normal. She brought her favorite ball to the testing area and wanted me to play. Soon after, she barked to go out and wandered around the backyard for awhile (I glanced out the window about every 30 seconds to check on her).

I stayed with the normal 8 units of Novolin-N because she has been on either 8 or 8.25 units for months. BTW, we are on the 6th week of this vial. Started the vial on 4-15, and will open a fresh vial on 6-1.
            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hey Craig, either Annie loves to be tested or wanted more treats

I suspect both

Good catch

Louise

Comment

Wow Craig,
                You've got her figured out!!! I'm not sure whether I would rather have high or low numbers???? I guess there are + and - to both!!
                Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Hey Craig, I wonder if because the bottle is 6 weeks old that it is stronger. I have heard that sometimes it works out that way as the mixture can never be drawn out completely equal. Sometimes if more of the fluid that is mixed with the insulin is drawn out leaving more insulin behind that can make it more concentrated.

I wonder if she will run into problems having the normal dose. If she usually starts at the low 100s like she did yesterday, giving her the usual dose when she started at 36 might drop her too low again.

But heck, you guys just love to test anyway.

Tara
                  Last edited by Rubytuesday; 05-25-2013, 07:58 PM.
                  Tara in honor of Ruby.
                  She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                  Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Yikes, 38!
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
                      Yikes, 38!
                      Yep, that test woke me up real fast!!

I'm wondering if I might have worked too quickly and mis-read the mark on the syringe. Might have given 9.25 instead of the normal evening 8.25?

She was just a little low this morning:

0730 = 89, gave 2 honey covered biscuits, backed down to 7.75iu from normal morning 8iu
                      1100 = 109, gave 1 honey covered biscuit (looks like this over corrected)
                      1630 = 257
                      1930 = 316, looks like I should have stayed with the normal morning 8iu, gave .5 R + 8N
                      2130 = 143, the R is working! I'll test again around 2330 - midnight.
                      2330 = 119

Testing is fun!

Craig
                      Last edited by CraigM; 05-26-2013, 11:52 PM. Reason: added 2330 test
                      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Testing sure is fun, especially when you catch a low like that!
                        Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Good thing you stay on top of things Craig. I'm always intrigued by the way Annie uses R. You can really see it working with her and exactly when it stops.
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Was bored the other day and was looking around the internet. Saw that Abbott has a new meter (FreeStyle FREEDOM LITE) that looks exactly like the AlphaTrak2, except for color.

There is also a "new"(?) version of FreeStyle LITE (FSL) test strips that I think look the same as the AlphaTrak2 test strips. I did a little digging into the data sheets (online versions) for the new FSL strips and the AT2 strips, and the chemical composition is listed the same.

Yep, I ordered another meter kit. This will make seven meters! If the kit comes with the new style FSL strips, I'll try them in the AT2 and report the results.

BTW, Annie is excited about getting a new meter toy, but Linda is ready to kick my shelf of testing gear out of the kitchen! She thinks 2-3 meters should be enough for any dog, and that 7 might indicate an obsessive-compulsive disorder!

Craig

Comment

Great news Craig.....I'll be looking forward to (hopefully) being able to use cheaper strips than the alpha trak. I'm still getting the 4 box pack at american diabetes wholesale site.
                              Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

I can't wait to hear your results with the new meter. It would be nice if the strips were interchangeable.
                                Max was born on May 5, 2005 and he is a 22 pound Schnauzer/Poodle Mix. Max was diagnosed with diabetes on March 12, 2013.
                                He takes Novolin N.

Comment

Working...
                                X