My Sweet Bagel in Heaven now..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bagel joins the group and Mommy is melting

ok moving right along....The lip again this Am but she wanted to squirm and lick so of course I did it twice and she didn't like the second one so much...anyway got the blood and it was 408 so she is seemly consistent with the 400s right now, which is what she was when she came home from her curve..
    I think they are taking her dosing slowly and although I am not happy with the bills, she sure feels good and is so much more spunky...

Now..
    Do you guys feed 2 X a day or more?
    I am feeding her Am and PM in the time range of 5:30 to 6:00 mostly..
    but she is hungry in the afternoon and sometimes at bedtime...I am not so knowledgeable about that yet and don't want to mess up her BG...
    I do give her protein snacks occasionally like a babyfood meatstick or babyfood or some boiled ground turkey..but just a little..
    Ideas?
    thanks!!!!
    Sande

Comment

Twice a day with their insulin.
      Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

ok good...thanks!!

Comment

LOOK AT YOU just testing away like a pro!! That's so exciting!!!

I'm also glad to see reading in the 400s instead of the 500s. You will have to share your results with the vet.

Most feed two meals a day at injection time. Snacks, if any, do have to be very limited and either calorie free like green beens and brocolli or very small amounts of protein. Once the food/insulin balance is known, some dogs, like Marley, get a midday meal if they have a human home with them every day to provide it consistently. But that's only done when the blood sugar pattern shows a need for it.

I'm glad Bagel is feeling better. Blood sugar in the 500s is no fun at all.

Natalie

Comment

Hey thanks!!!!!!!!

It was in the 600s last week at her first curve check...

She is still in the 400s but 382 last night...400 this Am..419 at dinner..
            So I am soooooooooo much calmer than I was Friday...I never thought miss PrissyPants would let me flip her lip up like that,.
            I don't really like the new Multiclix lancet so much..Seems it doesn't make as good a puncture than the one that came with the One touch kit...but I have choices..
            Yesterday AM she was not happy with the shot..she whined..last night she yelped twice...Never happened before..I never warmed it...
            but this AM and PM I did put the covered syringe under my arm for a few minutes and she didn't cry....
            The dosage at 12 units takes a little longer...
            Started the SECOND bottle...I prayed hard before I drew the insulin out...
            we are good..
            peace is here..
            Next Curve is Friday...
            Sande

Comment

"Now..
              Do you guys feed 2 X a day or more?
              I am feeding her Am and PM in the time range of 5:30 to 6:00 mostly..
              but she is hungry in the afternoon and sometimes at bedtime...I am not so knowledgeable about that yet and don't want to mess up her"

Once you get Bagel's blood sugar in more regulated, the appetite will get more inline and she won't be so hungry all the time.
              Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Did you check her for ketones yet? You may have posted and I missed it. I have been worried for her.

I'm glad you have been able to check her blood glucose, it's amazing what our babies will put up with!

Comment

I bought the stix but when I started having to start the B/G testing suddenly, I actually didn't do that...
                  Do you need to use the first morning urine or can it be anytime??

Comment

Sande,
                    It can be anytime.

The higher the blood sugar the more likely you are to see ketones develop. You don't want to see any, but anything above trace is cause for concern.
                    Patty
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

• Re: Bagel joins the group and Mommy is melting

ok thanks...

Comment

well just as I was bragging on her and we went for a nice walk and she is so spunky and alert..
                        Then I come inside-- my son and I had gone to a movie... had been gone a few hours and her bed has blood stains that are coming from her vulva again....last time it was darker red and she had a stone...they tried to dissolve it for three months with an antibiotic for 10 days and put her on a special food (urinary so) and then she had the diabetes diagnosis...and all was well with the bladder..
                        I am freaked a little cause Doc is out of town til Sunday night and he is the only one who gives out his phone no....
                        I called a tech and she said going to the emergency vet , they would want to xray and do all new stuff...she said she didnt think he would want me to do that....they don;t have her extensive history....
                        She doesn't seem in pain at all...just ate and had her shot..
                        She is laying on the bed on a towel..the stains are very dilluted with an occasional red spot...
                        oh geez this is nerve wracking....She says drop her off Monday morning..can I wait that long????????????????????????

Comment

I'm no expert on this... I think as long as she doesn't block it may not be an emergency as long as she is not in pain.

If she blocks, then it is a very dire emergency.

And if she seems to be umcomfortable or in pain, then I would take her.

If you have to take her, you should be able to just talk to them about it and not approve any extensive tests if you don't want to do that. Of course you will have to pay the fee for the emergency visit but I wouldn't let them whisk her away and do all kinds of things without your permission.

Did she come off the food for the stones when she was diagnosed with diabetes?

If so, she could probably go back on it.

Natalie

Comment

thanks Natalie...
                            She seems just fine....Ate a good dinner and keeps coming in here for me to scratch her back....

She seems to be going fine...I will check better now that I know to look...
                            The Tech said sometimes a stoen can roll around and dislodge a little clot...

She was on the food for 3 months and doing fine....but it is Urinary SO and mostly corn...
                            made me wonder if THAT kicked the diabetes in?

I am good as long as she does not act like she is in pain...She didn't act like that last time and the blood was more and not dilluted..
                            I will keep that in mind if I have to go the way of the Emergency Vet..
                            Never wished my weekend away so fast but I sure wish it were MONDAY!
                            S

Comment

yes, he took her off that food and put her on diabetes food...Purina DCO which is more protein and fiber..

The tech said he may want to mix it the two..but corn and corn products can;t be good..Maybe there is another kind?

Comment

While I may not prefer corn as the first choice, a lot of dogs have done well eating corn based food for many years. So if it's the difference between her having bladder stones and not having bladder stones, I'd probably go back to the SO or see if there is another product for it.

I have a cat who is eating soy protein isolate!!

Not my first choice of cat foods but he has IBD shading into lymphoma and it's working for him so as long as it works for him it's okay by me. I do give him some meat baby food to go with it.

As I recall, depending on the kind of stones, many vegetables that are popular with diabetics are very bad for a dog who gets stones or crystals.

So diet adjustments might be needed and worthwhile even with the diabetes to help control this problem.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                                X