Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Questions about Yuki

I'm entering a new stage that I'm not familiar with. Yukon is not eating his food very well anymore takes encouraging. I have reduced his insulin from 13 units to 11 because his blood sugar is so low. Tonight before dinner it was 48! The lowest it ever was. One hour later after eating his whole bowl it's only 206.

What should I do?
15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 13.2u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.
Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM
Founding Member

Jesse eats one meal a day which maybe an option

There could be changes in the body as he gets older that could cause the need for less insulin

Inconsistent eating can also impact the lows and highs . Either way if numbers are below a 100 and its not an odd ball event and correlating that with the highs in a lower range I would continue to reduce the dose.
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM

you could add a topper like salmon see if he eats more
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM

I have been putting boiled chicken on it with a little bit of reduced sodium chicken broth in for a while he was eating that really good.
He eventually eats his food but like tonight his blood sugar was 78 and he didn't want to eat. He eats his meals at 6 AM and 6 PM or should I say he did eat his meals at 6 AM and 6 PM. Tonight he ate about 7 o'clock all of his food and I took his blood sugar at 8 o'clock and it was 363 so I gave him 8 1/2 units of insulin. I am basically just guessing how much to give him.

I was thinking about maybe buying some dog treats for him to eat so if his blood sugar goes too low and he doesn't wanna eat his meal I can give him a couple treats what are your thoughts on that?
15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 13.2u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.
Old Today, 06:50 AM
Founding Member

Yes allot of managing a dogs diabetes is more of an art than science and we do allot of guessing . Remember it takes about 5 days for a dose to settle and see the true response to the dose decrease

That is interesting he did not want to eat with lower numbers . You would have thought the opposite . I give my jesse a milk bone with no meal and insulin in morning and it works well for her .Its not low glycemic. It actually has molasses in it and I believe that is helpful with her numbers but I am in a small camp with that thought with thinking insulin needs to be fed quickly

Let us know how the decrease goes and hope for a good outcome
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number

Last edited by jesse girl; Today at 06:54 AM.