Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Spirit-Newfoundland

That is high for Spirit. Hope it's just an anomoly as Judi said. Your numbers don't scream rebound to me even though it's a sharp rise but perhaps a duration issue today. Anything's possible though. Let us know if the trend continues.
    Patty
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

So far today is a new day......

5:00 a 191 fasting (curve at night is a mountain for sure after last nights readings) (Day numbers indicate a bowl style curve)
      8:00a 115
      10:00 a 144
      12:30/114 (*edit note-looks like it may have just been a couple of off days for him. his insulin peaks at 6-8 hours after injection and the 114 reading reinforces this. These numbers are more the norm for spirit and it is proving that every 10-12 days he throws some very odd numbers at me for whatever reason. It also reinforces the philosophy of many of us NOT to make changes based on one day. They do freak me out though)

I used the same vial of insulin this morning and made sure the shot was "correct". I will continue to monitor every 2 hours to complete a curve. It wasn't till after 10:00 yesterday that his BG went high so time will tell. The weather is also getting cooler up north so maybe that has an impact. Spirit may also be going to the next level with regard to insulin. 15 units 2x a day is still a very light dose for a 120lb dog so I'm considering that too.

In October it will be a year for spirit and he has slowly gone up from 11 units in the beginning to 15 units now so it may just be that he needs more insulin to last all day.
      Last edited by jim maceri; 09-09-2012, 09:40 AM.
      Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

as you say jim his insulin needs have climbed slowly over time you did catch it early you may see this concurring with these fluctuations in blood sugar i am sure we dont wake up one day oh we need another unit of insulin but a gradual process showing its hand on occasion maybe pointing to more insulin in the future but of course for the present it can be challenging

i do understand on testing i prefer 4 tests a day but ends up more when things get a bit crazy
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hi Jim,
          Just noticed its Spirits one year anniversary!
          Hope everything going well for you and the big man and you should be so pleased with the fantastic care you are providing and joys you are sharing with him.

Big hugs, Jen and Pippa. x
          Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

Happy Anniversary Spirit & congratulations Jim. No small feat accomplishing good regulation with a diabetic dog.

Did You survive foliage season....can't remember where you live and if it may be done or in full swing. Peak is done here in Vermont, but the store will still be busy with the poor people scheduled on the late buses that will be grumpy because all the color is gone.

Tara
            Tara in honor of Ruby.
            She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
            Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Thanks Jen & Pippa, yes it was one year ago today that Spirit got his diagnosis and started treatment. It was also one year ago that my "freak out" began and all of you came to our rescue! I would have NEVER believed spirit and I would be where we are today but with patience and everyones support we're still standing.

Trees still have some color here in northern michigan Tara and spirit and I are loving the park walks on these cool days (it's 36 degrees this morning).....the motel is closed for the season so I have lots more time to relax.

Spirit is doing very well, most of the time his numbers are good, he's eating well, exercising and just being a big old goofy newfie. I can't believe it has been a year and the truth be told, I could have NEVER done it without the support of my online family here at the forum. I thank God for you all daily and remember you in my prayers too.
              Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Happy Sugarversary Spirit!! Amazing the difference a year makes huh Jim?!

Many happy years to come!!

Sandy

Comment

Happy Anniversary, Spirit! Hope you have many, many more!

Bonnie and Angel Criss Ann

Comment

Happy Anniversary Spirit! You are the poster child for young big dogs with this disease!

I love his latest avie Jim, I just want to give him a hug. Judi
                    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Happy Anniversary to you and Spirit... May you have many more with your goofy newfie.
                      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Yay Spirit!!!!
                        Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Yay Spirit. Happy anniversary and many many more

Are you planning another trip south for the winter? If I remember well, Spirit did quite well even while travelling.

Louise

Comment

Yup, we are planning about 8 weeks in Florida again leaving right after Christmas. Amazingly spirit gets his best numbers while traveling in the motorhome. We went away for 3 days last week and I got some incredible numbers while on the road and camping......he stayed between 100-200 the entire time.

If the big lug sees me going to the motorhome he cries unless he can go with me even if I'm just taking something in or out in the barn. He runs in and assumes his position between the driver and passenger seat as if saying.....ok, lets roll!

Comment

dont leave me as spirit shouts

jim you have done so well with him from the beginning catching it early and it has made a world of difference and of coarse home testing also

congrats to both of you it is a team effort
                              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Great news Jim.

You got yourself a <world traveller< and it is wonderful that he enjoys the travelling and doesn't seem to be affected by the change.

There you go big daddy, you take me on vacation, I'll give you good numbers. I think it's fair

You have indeed done wonderfully with Spirit and so very attuned to his every mood and fluctuation.

Louise

Comment

Working...
                                X