New to all this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New to all this.

My almost 13 year old Border Collie, Max, was diagnosed at the beginning of this year, and it took us almost 3 months to get him to the levels he needed to be at. It was very overwhelming in the beginning and frustrating at the same time. In time, it will become easier. Do your best to educate yourself and create a good relationship with your vet. You mentioned that he doesn't react to needles very well. I try to stick to a routine when I give Max his shots (especially since he lost his sight to cataracts). I will say, "Can I poke you?" I'll move his hair out of the way and say, "Ready? One, Two Three" and insert the needle. Once I'm done I rub the spot and give him a treat. I think that it makes it less of a surprise, plus he knows he will be rewarded for his cooperation.

Also, when it comes to feeding, you could look into 'people food' options if the dog food isn't working. Foods such as green beans and pumpkin (100% pumpkin, not pie filling) can be good options. I've also been told that carrots and cauliflower work as well; however, our dog doesn't like either. We feed hard boiled eggs and a chicken liver/brown rice mix in moderation, in addition, to the dog food our dog likes. It's all about finding foods your dog likes and works for their system.

Good luck to you!

Comment

You may need a thicker lancet. Dogs have thicker skin. Also, the lancing device doesn’t usually work that well. I just took the lancet and used it to poke the skin.
      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by Budster View Post
        I'm having such a hard time getting any blood, I think the needle on the lancet is to short. I tried again today on his ear and his back end by the base of his tail still no blood. I can see were it pricked his skin but there is no blood coming. It seems its not getting deep enough but I don't want to hurt him either. He was really good about it today so i quit before he started getting aggravated.
        I don't see any callus on him any where, maybe I will try it without the lancing pen, just use the lancet. We will try again, I just feel so bad for my Buddy.
        Hi and a belated welcome! You really have found an awesome board. I tend to come and go, but I do read a lot on here and thought I should mention, your pup can sense your apprehension, frustration and just that feeling of being overwhelmed. We have all felt all of those and more, but the more successful you are at hiding it, the calmer it seems to make our pups.

Carol, the first time I poked Vinny, I had to do it FOUR times! In four different locations!! I swear if looks could kill I wouldn’t have made it that night! 😂 I felt frustrated and apprehensive because I didn’t have a clue what I was doing. But I had read enough of this site, I just kept going.

I remember reading once that CraigM sings or hums and Max’s parent just shared what they do. You have to figure out how to calm yourself as much as calming Bud. That is half the battle.

This is a new normal and it’s unfair, but here it is. I’m absolutely sure you’ve got this!
        Mel and her Monster Vinny

Oh and frozen green beans are a great treat we’ve found!
        Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Working...
        X