Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

i improved my joint pain through diet lots of vegetables and fish

maybe some dogie yoga to loosen up haha but you maybe able to stretch her a bit some message , the doc has my mom use heat and cold

dont think there is any miraculous way but some little things may help and you are doing some of that

maybe not the joint but possibly the muscles who knows for sure and annei isnt talking
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 12-18-2015, 07:02 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Yea, I've done a little puppy massage that seems to help. I just don't want to make this a habit! She can still be sooooo demanding!

Craig
Old 12-18-2015, 07:19 PM

I had a JRT who had severe hip dysplasia. He was on several drugs and was still having problems.

One thing I did try on him that I really noticed a difference was....
"Bell Shark Cartilage Joint Relief". I sprinkled half a capsule on his food (2 meals daily). After about 3 days I noticed him feeling so much better.
He was feeling so good that I started worrying that he would hurt himself running around. Brutus was not diabetic, so I don't know if this would affect BG.

Carol
Old 12-18-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol & Milo View Post
I had a JRT who had severe hip dysplasia. He was on several drugs and was still having problems.

One thing I did try on him that I really noticed a difference was....
"Bell Shark Cartilage Joint Relief". I sprinkled half a capsule on his food (2 meals daily). After about 3 days I noticed him feeling so much better.
He was feeling so good that I started worrying that he would hurt himself running around. Brutus was not diabetic, so I don't know if this would affect BG.

Carol
Thanks. I'll look into this more.

Craig
Old 12-26-2015, 11:48 AM

Default Holiday blood glucose

Wonder if anyone else saw a big jump in blood glucose readings on Christmas Day, and the day after? Annie had been testing in the 100-250 range for awhile, then BLAM 400+ on Christmas evening. No food was dropped, but we had a house full of people and Annie was on "the move" all day long. She tested mid 300s this morning (26th), so the BGs might be returning to her normal range.

I'm guessing the higher activity level yesterday used up the morning insulin causing the high evening reading.

Craig
Old 12-26-2015, 04:32 PM

Maybe some guests were slipping her some treats???
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:00 PM
Founding Member

she definitely keeps you on your toes

sounds like she had a good time
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 12-26-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrwf View Post
Maybe some guests were slipping her some treats???
No, don't think so. Everyone knows that would be a no-no. Really think that the insulin was used during the day feeding her muscles, keeping her walking around and not spending as much time lying around. O'well, I'm sure she, and others, will get back to normal in a day or two.

Craig
Old 12-27-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
No, don't think so. Everyone knows that would be a no-no. Really think that the insulin was used during the day feeding her muscles, keeping her walking around and not spending as much time lying around. O'well, I'm sure she, and others, will get back to normal in a day or two.

Craig
Hope Annie has settled back down. Lily is basically in search of food all the time and it was my job on Christmas to keep her away from counters and tables. She still managed to grab and swallow part of the plastic ham wrapper and also stole a cookie and a large chocolate covered pretzel. and, oh, the wrapper came out the next morning! :
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 12-27-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMurphy View Post
Hope Annie has settled back down. Lily is basically in search of food all the time and it was my job on Christmas to keep her away from counters and tables. She still managed to grab and swallow part of the plastic ham wrapper and also stole a cookie and a large chocolate covered pretzel. and, oh, the wrapper came out the next morning! :
Annie is back to normal, BG wise. 146 last night and 102 this morning, and back to sleeping which is typical of a 14 year old

Larger pups, like Lily, can get into more mischief because they can reach counters and tables Gotta love them!

Craig