Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Hi Craig,

Question - how do you handle the low fasting of 102? Do you feed, wait, retest and then give full dose if higher or do you just give full insulin?

Thanks,
Brenda
Old 12-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarra View Post
Hi Craig,

Question - how do you handle the low fasting of 102? Do you feed, wait, retest and then give full dose if higher or do you just give full insulin?

Thanks,
Brenda
I don't consider 102 as a low number, but as an excellent number. I keep the Novolin-N the same (9.25 morning / 9.5 in the evening). I've recently been keeping the Novolin-R at 3.5 unless she is high to me (300ish) when I might go to 4 units of "R". I guess if I saw something I felt was low, like below 80ish, I might back the "R" off to 2.5.

Keep in mind every pup is different and I can be sure Annie's BGs will rise after her meals.

My routine is to test, inject then feed. Yes, I usually inject a few minutes before she eats. I doubt my injecting 2-3 minutes before she eats is any different than if I would feed and then inject a minute or two later. Of course this procedure gave me a problem a couple of months ago when she wasn't eating well! For a couple of weeks back then I switched to test, feed, inject. I probably should do like everyone else and feed before injecting!

I really can't explain it, but the past year or two has been generally pretty good (a few little problems that seemed to clear up on their own). Sorry, I wish I had a secret that Annie could share. I do weigh out her meals. Almost never give a between meal treat. Add Benefiber to her meals for extra fiber. No telling if any of this really makes a difference.

Actually, I think the big thing is that her routine is pretty much the same every day. If she has a "different" day like Christmas with a full house of people, if we dog sit our son's dogs, a trip to the vet or a bath would probably affect her BG. Linda and I are both retired and we usually do our errands in the mornings so are home from 1PM.

Craig
Old 02-06-2016, 01:51 PM

What is old, is new again.

So Annie still likes to have her meals served in 2-3 servings. First serving is the dog food which she normally eats down to 6-10 kibbles. Second course has been mixing a tiny amount of baby food to lightly coat the leftover kibble (she'll gobble this). Desert is a small Greenie brand dental treat.

The tiny jar of baby food is enough to add taste(?) to about 6 - 8 meals. It just looks a little strange for a 70 year old buying baby food! I like to tell the cashier that the baby food is my snack spread on crackers!.

We were in Costco a few days ago and got some Kirkland Fat Free Greek Yogurt. Annie seems to like the yogurt even more than the baby food to mix with the kibble. Then I remembered that she loved a little yogurt back before she was diabetic. Who knows, possibly the tiny amount of yogurt (probiotics) will be good for her.

Craig
Old 02-11-2016, 05:09 PM

Good to hear Craig. And, my family loved eating baby peaches for snacks, lol.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:22 PM

OK, I got bored this afternoon and decided to waste some time with my meters and control solution

This time I used control solution from ReliOn. I don't think this control solution is stocked at Walmart and you have to phone a number on the data sheet that comes packed with the ReliOn strips. The good thing is that the control solution is free, at least when I got my vial last year.

First off, this control solution for the Prime meter surprised me by being blue-green in color! I was expecting reddish pink like the AlphaTrak control solution. Not a big thing, just not the color I expected.

I had just opened a new box of Prime test strips and the control solution read 112. I then inserted an AlphaTrak strip into the AlphaTrak meter and it read 143.

So, 112 ➗ 143 = .78 Seems to give the same results as the AlphaTrak control solution.

Again, I don't know how scientific all this is, but I believe is close in the 100s.

Craig
Old 02-13-2016, 05:21 PM
Founding Member

it appears to be correct in the range you tested and you have been consistent in your analysis craige . annie hasn't registered any symptoms of low blood sugar with your method ( i would think the biggest worry )

the most important thing is can there be a mistake made with conversions because you have to do extra steps . you have a long history with annie with this method so it does work at least for you and annie . others on the forum use the method with similar outcomes and have not heard of a problem . some do have problems with any type of math so if your in that boat it may not be a good idea

i think the problems may occur in the higher ranges . i think the alpha trak may read higher in those higher ranges . of coarse i have never used the meter but from just reading posts on the forum draw that conclusion and is far from scientific

i still think its rare for a dog to have a hypo event . from jesse i have learned the body does a pretty good job at preserving life in my opinion

i think if you want to do a conversion i think everyone should do it for themselves with there individual dog and check the parameters they want to work with . i think higher ranges can be a problem but thats just an assumption on my part

i recently compared jesse discount meter with the one touch ultra 50 strips and her meter was comparable . i always took numbers as is and was worried to do a substantial comparison but happy i did
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 02-15-2016, 01:56 PM

Here we go again!
Annie has had great numbers the past few weeks, 100-250 (most tests in the mid-high 100s). Then last night a 300 (no panic, things happen). This morning a 437 and then at mid-day (+6 hours) she was 442. The 442 was even with adding an extra ½ unit of Novolin-R this morning.

Linda had planned to take Annie to the local Puppy Dog Wash today, but instead we have started ear treatments with the Zymox. I have a terrible nose and really can't smell things, but Linda was about to gag (slight exaggeration) when she was helping with the Zymox ear treatment. So I'm hoping 3-4 days of treatment is all she will need.

It's probably been 4 months since we cleaned her ears. I always say we should clean them monthly for prevention, but we just never do it.

The weather has been in the high 50-low 60s the past few days, so maybe something in the air? (Those of you in the East, don't hate us!). Lots of moss in the lawn and walkways, don't recall if this has been a problem in past years but my eyes are reacting to something. I gave Annie ½ Benadryl tablet incase it's allergies. Of course, now I won't really know if it's the ears, or allergies.

Craig
Old 02-15-2016, 05:10 PM
Founding Member

i miss jesses monthly ear treatment at times because i feel bad for her ( she doesnt like it ) and we pay the price down the road

i remember the vet feeling sorry for jesse because i tested her so much and as we know we have to do allot of things we dont care for but needs to get done

sounds like the ears are the problem craige fingers and paws crossed for a quick remedy to the higher trend
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 02-17-2016, 07:34 AM

Annie is giving more problems.

Woke up yesterday to find diarrhea spread all over (yuck). Took her out and she peed, came back inside and when I turned my back she let go another trail of diarrhea. Poor girl, she seemed so embarrassed.

She only ate a little breakfast yesterday, but I got out the "good stuff" that she likes (canned Blue Buffalo) and she ate a portion at dinner. Dinner took about an hour to finish. Gave a guesstimate insulin dosage and she was 225 at dinner and 303 at breakfast this morning. Not too bad considering the food & insulin dosage were just guesses.

No poop overnight (good), nor outside this morning (bad). Refuses to eat, so after an hour I'm dumping her food and will give a tiny amount of insulin.

We were doing so well for a couple of months, but now this

Craig

Last edited by CraigM; 02-17-2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:58 AM

Stressful, to say the least. Do you keep any Flagyl (Metronidazole) on hand?
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.