Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:29 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceruleanblue View Post
Did you try the FSL strips at code 7 with blood? I'd be interested in how much of a difference there is. My current batch of AT strips is code 5, but all my previous boxes were 35.
I've gotten myself into a little trouble. Linda thinks Annie & I are getting carried away with all this testing and threatens to hide all the meters!

A few minutes ago, Annie stood in front of us and wouldn't stop barking. We knew she didn't need to "go out" because she did "everything" only an hour earlier. I asked: "Test. You want to be tested?" She got even more excited and raced to the testing location ahead of me. We used the last of the FreeStyle Lite strips that came with the meter, so this will likely be the last post on this subject (I know some of you are applauding no more Annie testing news).

AlphaTrak2 with AlphaTrak2 strips, coded 35 = 120
AlphaTrak2 with FSL strips, coded 35 = 149
AlphaTrak2 with FSL strips, coded 7 = 123 (gotta remember to return meter to 35 for the next AT2 strip test)

BTW, Annie got 3 pieces of cut frozen green beans as a reward. She calmed right down and is sleeping near my feet. Did she really want to be tested? Did she just want the green beans? Or was she just being a pup?

Craig
Old 05-31-2013, 11:29 AM

Very interesting! It's good that Annie likes to be tested, because it helps us all! Piper is tired of getting tested after yesterday and today, so I think she'd be happy if all of our meters disappeared. LOL

It's good to know that the cheaper strips could be an option. Is ADW selling the new Freestyle strips yet?
Old 06-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
AlphaTrak2 with AlphaTrak2 strips, coded 35 = 120
AlphaTrak2 with FSL strips, coded 7 = 123
That's impressive!!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:14 PM

I wasn't thinking clearly today.

We had a coupon for Blue Buffalo stuff last week and I bought Annie a bag of their Health Bars. They are pretty big treats! Her morning BG reading was a good 142, and I got cocky. Around 2pm I had a cup of coffee, and figured Annie deserved a snack / treat (remember, I almost never give her a treat other than a cut green bean or two). Foolishly, I gave her an entire Health Bar. For some reason we decided to blood test at 3:30 - she was 556 (retested to be sure)

It was still 4 hours to her regular meal / injection, what to do? I decided to do something that we normally don't recommend, I gave her 1/4 unit of "R". Looks like I could have given a little more: she tested 327 at 7:30. More testing later tonight.

After all this happened I did a little thinking. Annie's normal meal is about 208 Kcals, and the Healthy Bar is listed as 42 Kcals. Her "treat" was about 20% of an entire meal! Actually, my first clue should have been that the Healthy Bar weighs .5 oz, and her full normal meal only weighs 1.7 oz. the treat weighed almost 1/3 of what her meal weighs.

I'll be giving the Healthy Bars to my son's Lab and Boxer! Watch the size of treats!

Craig
Old 06-13-2013, 08:29 PM
Founding Member

wow its amazing how high she can go off a treat . yes with blood sugar that elevated i would have given a bit of r
Old 06-13-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse girl View Post
wow its amazing how high she can go off a treat . yes with blood sugar that elevated i would have given a bit of r
...but the "treat" weighed 1/3 of her normal meal! of course I'm guessing the Health Bar is what caused the high BG reading.

Last edited by CraigM; 06-13-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Founding Member

that is a big treat

i have done things like that with jesse but she never gets that high but her milkbone and honey snack takes almost half the dose amount of her homemade dinner i guess volume and type of food can tell different stories

i guess again its every dog follows there own path
Old 06-14-2013, 01:03 AM
Founding Member

We've used those to combat low blood sugar. Maybe 1/4 at a time I think. Hope Annie feels ok
Old 06-14-2013, 03:55 AM

Craig,

Goes to show that every dog is different, or perhaps the Health bar that you purchased may have had some molasses in them... I only buy the bacon and egg one.....but I typically will only give Abby 1/2 of the bar when I am giving her shot. Could have been the timing as well, when her insulin may have been waning.

Abby weighs about the same as Annie, I believe.

Barb
Old 06-14-2013, 04:17 AM

When her b/g shot up that high was she exhibiting the classic symptoms ... panting and excessive thirst?
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.