Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 11-04-2011, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Camellia Camelo

Hank gets baths quite regularly actually. He's such a patient, tolerant guy that he puts up with most everything I do to him. He gets rather growly when I take him in and will escape if possible so door gets closed. I keep the bath mat in so he has traction and we use a cup (hopefully the sprayer I just go will be going in soon!). I do get his face wet but try to use a washcloth to scrub it more than just slopping on soap and water. I am never sure whether to put his face up or down when rinsing tho...he doesn't like either direction!

But I do take him to the groomer every third or fourth time for a full grooming since I'm not that great at the trimming part. I like to do it but can never seem to get it just the way I like it. I like how he smells when I do it rather than after the groomers even tho they use my shampoo! Lol

But he goes bananas after...MUST RUB OFF EXCESS WATER ON EVERYTHING! LOL Is reealy rather funny! lol This time he was mad at me tho! lol
Old 11-05-2011, 05:11 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Camellia Camelo - bath location

I do Carol! Great picture; what a spoiled pup she is. I use a sprayer that I attach to a tub and start at the neck and work down. One of my yorkies does not like the face. I hold her head up and get at least the head and ears. I use a wash cloth on her face so she doesn't fear the spray. Everytime she hears the bath water running, she comes running! Mine love a bath
Old 11-05-2011, 11:26 AM

Where did you get that tub, Carol? Is it easy to move around/take apart?
Old 11-05-2011, 02:51 PM

Arrow Re: Camellia Camelo

Hi Shell,

Got the tub at my local Home Hardware store (Canada). DogDaddy George investigated prices in other stores, but prices were the same. I've always had great service from Home Hardware, so I got it there.

Yes; easy to put together; should be as easy to pull apart - the legs just push in, and probably by using my feet to assist me, I could pull them out quite easily. guess I'll find out, unless I just move the tub, in the stall so I can shower myself behind it (hanging the shower wand on its hook on the wall, which doesn't show in the picture).

Somebody suggested costco.ca (sorry, forgot who) - costco.us might have something similar, or any of the big buy-anything stores.

I took a screen shot of their ad, and sent it to George, so he could shop more easily, and I've just posted that, here:

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/albu...pictureid=1418

Falling asleep at the keyboard again, but will have a report on shampooing and spraying, I hope, by this evening. (success!)
Sat, 5 Nov 2011 14:51:15 (PDT)
Old 11-05-2011, 03:34 PM

Carol, that's the kind of tub I use for bathing. As for washing the face, I tried a facecloth and they didn't like it. I guess it was a little too rough on their face. Being that Westies are white, I have to wash their (her) face so I use one of those sponge thing and use Baby Shampoo on their (her) face (look mommy no tears).

Here is a link of what I mean by the sponge
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=11056491

It is the pouff thing in the middle. I just put a little dab of shampoo on it and and it is nice and soft. I also use that shower thing that Patti uses and it is connected directly to my faucet. When I rinse, I block one ear and do that side and move to the other side and do the same thing. I tried using cotton pads in their ears and they kept falling off.

Of course, there's a lot of sweet talking while we are bathing and we started when they were just puppies (10+ weeks old).

I also bought the Norwex Dog Kit. It is a mitt and a towel that really absorbs the water. Because Buddy lost his first coat with the untreated mange, it took hours for him to dry up compared to Cleo. Needless to say, that is another game that we play while drying them (her) up, playing pickaboo etc.

Yep, 2 seniors doing all these crazy things The laundry tub is great for seniors because they are at waist level. At our age, easy to go down on the floor, not so easy to get back up

Louise
Old 11-05-2011, 04:09 PM

That's what I was thinking...waist level. I really do hate to have to bend over in the tub to wash Hank. I get in there with him since it's much easier than trying to lean over the edge. But a tub like that...might work. I'll have to check it out. Thanks ladies!
Old 11-05-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddingartist View Post
and use Baby Shampoo on their (her) face (look mommy no tears).
Yep, 2 seniors doing all these crazy things The laundry tub is great for seniors because they are at waist level. At our age, easy to go down on the floor, not so easy to get back up

Louise
I'm supposed to be sleeping, but of course, look where I am! Yes, Camellia; I'm coming - just ONE more message!

[Yeah, riiiight; I know you, Mummy.]

Louise - I avoid any human shampoo, having read that the pH of human shampoo isn't right for dogs. But hey, if that works for you - well, I learn stuff here on the forum!

As in - do what works!

You're SO right about being able to go down (sometimes, unexpectedly). But that getting back up again - YIKES!

I wonder if we could sort of climb the tub-legs. Maybe the tub is a bit flimsy for that! I suppose even if it weighed a ton and we tried to climb the near legs, we'd probably pull it over on ourselves, with perhaps Quite Serious consequences! (hehe - funny now, but wouldn't be funny if it happened!)

Back later to try to catch up - so many wonderful posts here, for which I thank you all! Really, our forum members are just fabulous! I think of that now because of the fiasco with the Leonardo thread. (Gosh, that posting behavior looked quite familiar.)

Always the rambler, love you all!
Sat, 5 Nov 2011 16:14:54 (PDT - last day of it!)
Old 11-05-2011, 04:37 PM

Carol
You're right about the human shampoo and I think it has something to do with the PH level.

With that sponge that I am referring to, you only need a small drop and you would be amazed how much sud you can create and it was just enough to wash their little white face (blackened by digging in the dirt and sand) and from eating wet food. Because I was using medicated shampoo, I was a tad concerned about their eyes.

Good luck with the bathing experience.

Louise
Old 11-05-2011, 08:51 PM

I can tell when something is up. Mummy holds out treats - for no reason, and off-schedule. So she thinks I don't KNOW there's something up? (oo)

Yeah, Camellia; there's no fooling you. You're like Kumbi in a way - you Hate Procedures. Are you sure you didn't study with KUmbi? ;-*

Well, I did. How did you know? I guess I use similar evasion strategies. On the OTHER paw, it all depends on just WHICH procedure it is that I detect might be coming up. You put your GUM BOOTS on late yesterday afternoon. That's supposed to mean a walk, but - it was really far too late for a walk. So I wasn't sure what to think, and thought it best to evade anything strange. (oo)

Yeah; it took me well over half an hour to calm you into quietness in your favorite place on the sofa. Whereupon, I sat down beside you, which usually means I'm going to stroke you gently and maybe rub behind your ears some. Then, because you seemed quite relaxed, I simply picked you up and carried you, and put you in the new Camellia-Tub ;-*

So you did, Mummy. Then you put that loosey-Goosey noose on me. What kind of noose was that! Really loose. An old, very stiff leash. (oo)

Well, Kate taught you to wear a noose. I'm grateful for that. It was more symbolic than anything else. So then we began. You got as far away from the shower-wand part of the stall as you could, right up against the outer wall of the stall. Stall-wall. Yeah. ;-*

Yeah; and then you took down the shower-wand, and turned the water on, and adjusted the temperature. Playing the water onto your wrist. THEN you wet me down. I was hugging the outer end of My Tub - I shivered some. Nervous, you know. YOU had never bathed me before; it was always Kate who did. And kate always washes my head and face and ears, playing water over them, too. (oo)

You didn't know I wasn't going to wash your head, face, and ears! Don't need it in-between Kate-grooming sessions, every eight weeks or so. The spray doesn't go there, either. ;-*

That's lucky, because I wouldn't like any spray on my HEAD - not anywhere near my eyes. (oo)

So, I spread shampoo over you - as somebody here said, starting at your neck, and working down your body. We did a fairly thorough lather, and you started out by shivering and shaking - but I was glad you calmed down some as I did a lot of massaging. But you still hugged the outer edge of your Tub, which made it a bit awkward to wash your right side; you were facing me. ;-*

But i was good and moved over when you guided me with your hands. (oo)

You WERE good, Camellia. Really VERY good. You are such a trooper! Also, to my total delight, I didn't get wet myself - the gum boots were an important part of that - and the rolled-up sleeves - but - best of all, my BACK didn't bother me at all, because the position was good for me. ;-*

That's good, because I know when you're uncomfortable, or hurting it can make you try to rush, and tenses you up, too, so you don't do as well with me. (oo)

Right on, Camellia. I couldn't believe how comfortable I was. My next goal - I hope - is to get YOU as comfortable as I am! I think it was warm enough so you weren't cold during the bath. Waiting five minutes for the shampoo to do its job, you COULD start feeling chilly, but I hope the massaging helps with that. And the noose didn't bother you at all. ;-*

Loosey-Goosey Noosey Noosey; of course it didn't bother me; it wasn't DOING anything. (oo)

Right. except encouraging you, maybe, to stay in the Tub. Of course, at one stage, you DID put your front paws up on the front edge of your Tub. That was actually helpful, though! ;-*

Well that's why I did it, Mummy! To give you a helping paw. (oo)

I was a bit slow on the uptake. Then I had to adjust the water temp again, so I did - turned it up very slightly warmer, to get rid of any chill you might be having. Then i rinsed and rinsed, but still had a bit of trouble with your right side, as you tended to hug that side of your Tub. ;-*

But you DID get me rinsed off - then you shut the water off, grabbed that lovely towel, wrapped me in it, and carried me out to the Day Bed in the Great Room - and started drying me. Of course, I helped, as most all dogs do after a bath. I don't know any dog who doesn't get the Zoomies after a bath. Thanks for letting me do my Zoomies - I helped dry myself too - rolling on the Day Bed, the sofa, and running around in a nice warm room. (oo)

That was good, Camellia. You were fairly dry in an hour. And Quite Dry in two hours. Good job! ;-*

Yeah - and THEN you started all over again - picked me up and put me back in My Tub. This, I did not understand, Mummy! NOT another bath? I just HAD one! (oo)

No, not another bath. This time, it was the spray. I put the LooseyGooseyNoosey on you, and then laid a washcloth over your head - just loosely. And GOOD YOU! You didn't try to shake it off! I just couldn't BELIEVE how good you were. ;-*

More self-preservation than anything else, Mummy. But you surely aren't very good with that spray. Let's say, awkward and uncertain. (oo)

You are so observant, Camellia. I promise, I'll learn with practice. I was glad I only had to spray your back, hind-end to neck, and sort of the center of your back. Didn't do very well, though; I was supposed to hold the spray at 12 inches, but it was more like 6 inches. And I used a little more spray than perhaps I should have, but I don't think it does any harm. ;-*

Mum - just keep practising; you'll get better at it that way. WHAT AM I SAYING! (oo)

Hehe; you're encouraging me, Camellia. ;-*

Yeah; I just noticed that. But it felt okay. It took about an hour to dry. (oo)

And when it was dry, you really felt great under my hands. ;-*

I felt pretty good myself, Mum. I THINK I'm glad you can bathe me at home now, if need be. (Wonderful to avoid that head-and-face-wash!) (oo)

Camellia - do you think we were successful? ;-*

For a first try, Mum, it was really good; congratulations. Let's see what happens next time. WHAT AM I SAYING! (oo)

I think you don't really hate a bath all that much, Camellia. Maybe we'll go places together ;-*

Hey! maybe we will! Now, Mum, it's not far from bedtime, and also, it's change-the-clocks evening. (oo)

Why, so it is, Camellia. Next question is, do we get an extra hour of sleep, or do we get an extra hour of play? Or, do we split the difference? ;-*

Who knows, Mum. Depends on our mood! Me, Im going to Our Bed for a little while. You can finish typing while I snuggle and dream. (oo)

Okay, Camellia; i'll be along before too long - REALLY getting sleepy! And thanks for being SO GOOD in the Tub and out of it! ;-*

I'm not Out of It, Mum. You might be. (oo)

Not really, Camellia - anyway, not for long. It would be difficult to be TOO far Out of It on this forum. If we were, we might end up as Former Members. Let's not do that; okay? ;-*

OKAY! See you shortly, on/in Our Bed! (oo)

Good night, Camellia; I'll join you in time. Uhhh - Daylight Time, which will shortly turn into Standard Time.
[Crowing - SUCCESS!] ;-*

Sat, 5 Nov 2011 20:50:31 (PDT)
Old 11-05-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddingartist View Post
Carol
You're right about the human shampoo and I think it has something to do with the PH level.

With that sponge that I am referring to, you only need a small drop and you would be amazed how much sud you can create and it was just enough to wash their little white face (blackened by digging in the dirt and sand) and from eating wet food. Because I was using medicated shampoo, I was a tad concerned about their eyes.

Good luck with the bathing experience.

Louise
Westies digging in the dirt?! Say it isn't so! LOL My Henry had one hole he was allowed to dig and by god that thing was getting enormous! I swear I could see China in it! But he loved it and what a dirty face! Figures a white dog would love to dig so much!!!! Gotta love them tho!