Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 12-24-2012, 06:26 PM

Arrow Re: Camellia Camelo

Thanks for your good wishes - my dear friends - there's nothing here to hold me back much - just some healing - well, and some pain along the way

Not to mention the various vagaries of age itself.

I AM glad not to be caring for a diabetic dog at the same time!

Camellia is a comfort to me; comes up on Our Bed and cuddles for a time. And we're managing short walks - overdid it some yesterday, I think - so sleepy and sore today - so goes life! But - later, I'll get my teeth into things!

Camellia is cheering me on

And she says hi to all our buddies here!

Mon, 24 Dec 2012 18:26:07 (PST)
Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Camellia Camelo

Hi carol. Just checking in to see how you are doing!
Old 06-19-2013, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggy0 View Post
Hi carol. Just checking in to see how you are doing!
Only about five months late replying

Camellia is doing well. Still has allergies, but not too bad. I'm in the middle of all the overhauls - more dental stuff; possible cataract surgery (should improve my vision a lot), and so forth. Lucky Camellia has learned to stay home alone for some hours; she's quite comfortable, not panicky at all.

The handpan.org forum did indeed collect funds to get me a handpan. For some silly stuff, you can go here:

http://www.handpan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8915

and make sure to scroll through to the second page, and a fair bit there, to see some silly photos.

Victor is the builder who is making the handpan for me. He's a magnificent builder. (Victor Levinson)

There's a nice video of him tuning one of his creations - taken by a guy who's a kind of apprentice of his:

http://youtu.be/9fYLqr3Oz7s

It'll probably be at least two more months before the Pantam-SPb kurd 9 (handpan) arrives in my lap. When it does, I'll be playing music 3 to 6 hours a day. I really miss my music!

Greetings to all diabetic and other dogs, and to cats as well, and to all the denizens of the magnificent k9diabetes forum.

Wed, 19 Jun 2013 02:49:47 (PDT)
Old 06-19-2013, 06:09 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Carol,
So good to hear from you and glad Camellia is doing well in general. Love the pic of your practice pad patience hat! Go glad you will be getting a handpan.
Patty
Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 AM

It always great to hear from you Carol. So glad that your Camellia is doing so well. When you get your HandPan, do take a video of you playing. I would love to listen to you again.

Barb
Old 06-19-2013, 01:56 PM

Patty, Barb; thanks for the sweet replies. I've actually taken Camellia off all treatment for allergies - and so far, so good! Right now, I'm glad I don't have a diabetic dog, as I'd have difficulty meeting my own re-model-Carol schedules if I did have. (Note to Camellia - please don't get diabetes, but if you do, you can believe I'll give you the same care and attention Kumbi got!)

I admit, I have a HUGE desire to be playing this handpan - specific brand name is:

Pantam-SPb

and the model is kurd 9 - that describes the scale of notes present.

I'm interested that when heard in person, these instruments have the most ASTOUNDING sweet sound (the high-quality ones do) - depending slightly on the player. I noticed many animals - maybe dogs especially - seem quite attracted by the sound, and I have a feeling handpan music, played with sensitivity, would be wonderful for diabetic dogs - and perhaps for their caretakers too!

I'm trying to be patient, but sometimes it's hard

Also, I hope to drop in from time to time and catch up on the news - my dear friends, all of you - you are deeply a part of me.

Be back when I can! Lots and lots of love and hugs, with special good wishes to the dogs (and cats).

Wed, 19 Jun 2013 13:56:08 (PDT)
Old 06-19-2013, 02:14 PM

In addition, I found it interesting to read a post in which the guy who took the video of Victor tuning introduced himself to the forum:

http://www.handpan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=8879

He posts videos occasionally of himself playing on a Pantam-SPb by Victor. He has a nice playing style.

Wed, 19 Jun 2013 14:13:39 (PDT)
Old 06-20-2013, 03:12 PM

Checking in on you. Good to read that you and Camellia are doing well. I feel the same way about Izzy--I'm glad she isn't diabetic because I don't know if I could take care of all her current issues and diabetes, not to mention taking care of myself.

Will try to watch for your pics of you playing the handpan. Glad you are getting one.

Blessings,

Mary
Old 08-17-2013, 06:39 PM

Arrow Re: Camellia Camelo - catch-up

Camellia continues to do well, not too bad on the allergies this summer, thank goodness. Yesterday was the third anniversary of her arrival to be my dog. We celebrated quietly together, with some extra cuddles.

And we met a musician on the road - specializes in Irish music - jigs and reels, and the like. She was a VERY skilled photographer, and took a few pictures of us - promised to send copies; if I get a chance, I'll post one or two.

I also asked her to send photos of herself, as (meeting her for the first time - she's a friend of a family in the neighbornood) - she has an amazing aura about her - very contagious - she's an animal-lover, and handled Camellia with wonderful hands. I'd be curious to hear her play Irish music for diabetic dogs Oh, for Camellia, too.

Mly make-over continues. About five weeks ago, I fell - didn't seem too bad, but it caught up with me; aggravated an old hip injury, and really got me in the back and both hips. For a time, I could barely walk, and couldn't bend down - it was a few days before that stiffness and pain really showed up.

I'm SO grateful FINALLY to have a "family doctor" (read: primary-care physician) - after many years of waiting. He's young, very competent, and keeps up with things current. He's shepherding me through my healing. And sending me for a bone mineral density scan - that could be interesting - so far, I seem okay, at age 76 now!

Camellia and I are working our way up to slightly longer walks each day. Camellia could do it; I give out rather easily still! We'll get there!

And, this past Tuesday, when I was out all afternoon for a dentist appointment at a distance, Camellia got out of her yard twice; my neighbor put her back in. But I learned later, she ALSO got out in the ROAD!

Panic! Another great neighbor is going to re-build my yard-gates for me. Whew! He and I had been with the local fire department years ago. Seeing Camellia alone on the road, he and his wife started looking in the DITCHES for me! We did once have a beloved neighbor, who, living on borrowed time, died in a ditch with his boots on. I'm planning on having another decade at least, and it wouldn't be bad to die in a ditch with my shoes on.

Somebody would have to take Camellia, but she has someone to take her.

Edit to add: my handpan hasn't yet fallen from the sky into my lap
Old 08-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Founding Member

oh carol i so enjoy your stories they have everything in them from suspense to traditional life . that is scary when they get out jesse hasnt been there for many years .i wonder if she would take off at her mature age . dont want to test that either . beagles noses can get them into a pickle at times .

getting older oh yes sometimes it can take a year for some of my pains to go away . im patient one day it hurts then its gone and i will pause for a moment and wonder where it went

glad your still enjoying your music and a dogs life