Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Camellia Camelo

What a great friend to help out! Sounds like a great set up Carol
Old 08-30-2013, 11:41 PM

Arrow Re: Camellia Camelo - new gates

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
Why do I think that Camellia might be interested in viewing the new gate set up as a challenge!
Maybe because you understand dogs

But I think with Camellia, it's not so much overcoming a challenge that interests her as it is being totally determined to stay with me (if at a bit of a distance) if she CAN, in any way, manage to.

The new gates worked; I had to be out all day Tuesday, and got home to find Camellia still inside. Whew! She has NO IDEA about cars.

Oh, Natalie, on that day, my angel-driver-mentor, without telling me ahead, took me to visit a farm at some distance from home, where she gets some of her food. The farmers - man and wife - were totally charming, and so were their animals.

They have two border collies. One, Thelma, got into the car, and gave me a good sniffing. The other, Louise (oh! Thelma and Louise!) spent some time nose-to-beak with a confined chicken - who was confined with many others, in a large pen. As we moved to a storage building, I called to Thelma, and she came to me; I was amazed. I am such a sucker for dogs.

Also enjoyed watching the pigs, who were having a great time in the mud.

We decided that the farmers were Harmless Eccentrics, Grade 6, as we had previously determined that we too held that status and rank.

I'd thought it was a joke, but a member of the handpan forum uses "Harmless Eccentric, Grade 2" as a signature, and it turns out he actually HOLDS that rank with MI5 (in the UK).

The gates are swelling a bit in our first rain for a long time, but are still fine.

Gotta get to bed - falling apart - back later! Jesse Girl, thanks for your post!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:44 PM

Arrow Re: Camellia Camelo

Also, thanks Judi, Barb, Patty - Bonnie - don't see you here too often - and - and - and - oh; jjefferjo - missed thanking you last time!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:25 AM

and Peggy! I think of Forbin, too!
Old 09-01-2013, 08:59 AM

Carol!!! So happy to hear from you and see that you and Miss Camellia are doing so well!!

Amazing how empowered we feel when we outsmart their abilities (the new gates!).

Sandy
Old 09-01-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyL View Post
Carol!!! So happy to hear from you and see that you and Miss Camellia are doing so well!!

Amazing how empowered we feel when we outsmart their abilities (the new gates!).

Sandy
Thanks, Sandy - great to hear from you! When we finished the Inner Gate and started working on the Outer Gate, I went through the Inner Gate to join Rob, and shut it. Immediately, Camellia investigated the possibilities for escaping from the confinement of the Inner Gate. Rob looked, and said, "She's doing her job."

When I got home that day I was out and Camellia escaped the gates AND the gate across the driveway - TWICE! - my heart was in my mouth. I've been the Neighborhood Dog Police in my rural community (not my desire, only necessity) about as long as I've lived here - and here was MY dog getting out! And endangering her life ijn the roadway. She has NO brains about cars, and this is true of some - even many - dogs. We lost a dog to a car just under a year ago; that one was foreseeable, as the owner allowed his two King Charles Cavalier Spaniels to roam the roadways. One was killed right next to where he was weed-eating; the pickup driver was devastated - had NO WAY to avoid the dog, who popped out from behind the owner's car parked at the verge. Other dogs let out have succumbed to poisons; rat poison, slug bait, and the like.

Anyway, that was the only time Camellia got out. I trust, never again!
Old 10-05-2013, 02:05 AM

Arrow Re: Camellia Camelo - pantam - handpan

Today - oops - yesterday (I can't sleep; too excited) was a giant great day for me, and Camellia demonstrated the great improvements in her confidence.

The handpan that forum members on the handpan.org forum bought for me arrived today, delivered by the fabulous handpan guy Colin Foulke - who had visited me last year for a weekend, and played an informal kind of teaching-concert, where I sat beside him with another pan and tried to play.

Having Colin deliver the pan was a total surprise to me, though apparently all the very many contributers to the fund had all been told, and knew about it!

My sneaky neighbor-friends, with whom I'm forming a kind of "band" (really, a singing group, but my handpan will serve us; I plan to play it as part of our very informal performances) - suggested this afternoon for our first meeting to put some songs together. The four of us, in my tiny place, were singing, half-dancing, and laughing our heads off, joking like mad -

when suddenly - here came a knock at the door - it was Handpan Ambassador, player, and master musician, Colin Foulke - and he was carrying two handpans - his - AND MINE! Actually, the maker of these particular ones has given them the name Pantam - so they are Pantams.

I practically freaked out - because I love this guy very dearly, in the same kind of way we love each other on this forum. And I knew my Pantam was due by mid-October, but thought it would come by courier or post.

My band buddies, the Shirleyne Dingalings (pronounced Sure-Lane) had also known all about it!

Colin and I sat down and we played. I have a long way to go to learn to play; all the same, I was able to get notes out okay, and we improvised, listening to each other and adapting and making music together.

People on the forum had been asking me if the postman had arrived, and I'd replied, not yet, not surprising; Canada Post is slow, and the couriers would be playing, singing and dancing for some time, before delivering the Pantam. LIttle did I know! The forum was in a grand state of hilarity!

This was really a very major project - collecting funds, getting them to the maker in Russia, and so forth. I think about ten months in the doing.

These people have given me my musical life back.

Camelli's response was fascinating. When Colin was here last year, she spent most of the time OUTSIDE the front door, on the landing. But this time, even with six people in this tiny space, she remained inside with us, and even took treats from various people. Then she jumped up on the couch beside me as I played, and snoozed. It seems very common for dogs - and cats - to enjoy the sounds of these instruments. It's soothing to them, as it usually is to humans. These instruments are considered healing instruments. I can understand that.

Though they're awkward to carry around, because of their size, shape and weight, I'll be carrying mine around rather obsessively for a time! I have a long way to go to learn to play it well, but will enjoy every moment of it. I may try to put a small handpan/pantam/singing steel section on my web site. Not now, though. For now; I'm going to learn to play!

Now I must go sleep!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Founding Member

oh thats great carol you got your instrument and the learning process begins . its a journey like everything else and well worth it

its great your pup enjoyed everyone your probably wright music soothes the savage beast haha

enjoy
Old 10-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Founding Member

how exciting Carol! you are blessed
Old 10-05-2013, 06:04 PM

I have other video clips to upload besides this one;

http://youtu.be/ZQeyR9YbNk8

a picture is worth a thousand words!

Be still, my heart - oops, no; don't! it has to work so I can play!