Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Diabetic Veterinary Diets: Which Do/Have You Used?

I have a 11 year old Japanese Kai Ken, he was diagnoised with diabetes at age 2. We have had our ups and downs, but as of recent I had to change his insulin from vetsulin to Humulin N. I think he is better regulated on this and I do glucose testing several times a day as needed. He has been on Evo No grain Chicken for years, but with doing all this glucose testing I notice after his meals his levels spike very high. I beleive if I could find a better diet for him he would be much better managed. I have been looking into a raw diet, but with so many different options out there, how do you choose? Was wondering if anyone has had good luck on a certain brand, or do you just boil chicken and veggies yourself? Also, what is the best way to transition him over? Any help would be greatly appreciated, he is my boy and I want him to have a great remainder of his life.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: New member: Question about food

Hi and welcome to you!
Gosh, diabetes for 9 years...congratulations! That's quite an accomplishment.

There are a couple things you could do. If you like the Evo and want to eliminate a post meal spike, you could take a small amount of his food out and replace the calories with something like low fat cottage cheese to try to flatten out his numbers.

If you are set on switching to raw, it can be a bit challenging to balance with the peak of NPH due to the lack of significant carbs/fiber you find in dry dog food. But, adding something like brown rice (which is slower to digest) is always a possibility. I like Primal's canine formula. The chicken is a bit higher in carbs than the other proteins. I know someone else who uses Bravo.

I have my dog on a raw diet due to her allergies and have had to split her meals in order to balance the insulin.

As far as transitioning, my vet had me feed small quarter size pieces a few times during the day to get her digestive system used to the food. Then one morning we completely switched. And after a couple of days, switched the evening meal.

Some people have mixed raw with kibble but it's not typically recommended due to the difference in rate of digestion. You don't want the raw food sitting in the digestive tract as long as kibble typically does.

You may have to watch very carefully for a dramatic decrease in insulin so your dog doesn't go hypo. I would test frequently and be sure you were going to be home when you decide to switch.

Hope that helps!
Patty

Last edited by Patty; 02-17-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Administrator

If you want to keep him on his current diet, one way to resolve the spike it to add either fast acting insulin like Novalog or faster acting insulin like Regular to the NPH.

There is a premixed version, 70/30, that is 70% NPH and 30% Regular or Novalong. Or you can fill one syringe with both NPH and Regular, in which case you can customize a mixture that's just right for your dog.

The fast or faster acting insulin gets absorbed much more quickly and can often tame the post-meal spike.

Craig, for example, is using the 70/30 with his dog Annie.

That might be at least as easy or perhaps easier than changing diets.

Information on Mixing two insulins in one syringe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gizYDn2_0Io

Information on Insulin Categories (Fast Acting, Faster Acting, Intermediate):
http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.a...t=7001&id=7246

Graphic showing different profiles for various kinds of insulins and information on 70/30:
http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482

Natalie
Old 02-18-2011, 05:46 AM

For a period of time I used rapid acting Humalog along with NPH to control the food spikes I saw with Mildred.

I chose to use 2 separate insulins instead of a premix such as 70/30 so that I could control the amount of rapid acting insulin that I administered.

For Mildred I never mixed the two in one syringe but instead gave 2 separate injections at each meal.

For Mildred Regular did not work as the duration was too long which caused me to run into problems with overlap whereas Humalog was in and out.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog