Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Bill and Otis

Welcome Bill and Otis
I lurked for a bit before I joined forum, wish I had jumped in sooner.
This a great place to be just wanted to Hi, that Otis sure is cute!

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart
Old 02-26-2011, 06:28 AM

Welcome to both of you.

Peggy already asked most of my questions, but I wanted to verify his brand of food. Is the OM the Purina OM Overweight Mmanagement kibble? Does he eat it well?

I'm a big believer in consistency, especially when trying to get him regulated. Like Peggy said, I would probably stick with the little bits of chicken for his snacks and not change it back and forth for a while. Once he's regulated, you can try changing back to a little egg to see if it affects his glucose levels differently than the chicken.

If you are adding a little kibble occasionally and not consistently, that could also affect his glucose levels. Bailey weighs 95 pounds, but is very sensitive to extra small bits of kibble which cause increases in his glucose levels.

You mentioned his allergy problems. Did you ever discover if he was allergic to anything specific and is he still having any problems, or are they under control? Bailey had a problem with any food that had grain fillers and I've had to change him to grain free food and add extra fiber and carbs using non grain additions to his food to level out his curves.

Hope we aren't overwhelming you by asking too many questions.

Take Care

Pat
Old 02-26-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggy0 View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum. Poor Otis, who is absolutely adorable, we've all been through this. My dog went blind very quickly at age 10 after being diagnosed and he was very frightened. he worked it out but wanted to be with me all the time. I had his cataracts removed and he did very well. Could see immediately.

What kind of food are you feeding him? You need to be careful with treats as they can add to the glucose issues. Make sure whatever treat you give has no sugar. Bits of vegetables or meat is fine. Check your liva snaps to see whats in them. This is one thing you'll get use to doing -- reading every label to see what is in it!

Hope you have good news with this new dosage. Let us know how we can help.
Otis is eating a mixture of canned Hill's WD & Nutro Natural Choice Senior. I'd say about a 2 to 1 ratio ... WD/NNCS.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjefferjo View Post
Welcome Bill and Otis
I lurked for a bit before I joined forum, wish I had jumped in sooner.
This a great place to be just wanted to Hi, that Otis sure is cute!
That's a baby picture.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat3332 View Post
If you are adding a little kibble occasionally and not consistently, that could also affect his glucose levels.
One thing is certain and that is every dog is different. What happens in one, has no affect in another. Some can have small snacks, others get their BG all out of whack on a very small mid-meal treat. Annie is one of the "no snack" (OK, almost never) dogs. I believe I can see an increase in her BG with just 4 - 5 kibbles between meals. We have given a small bit of chicken, size of my small finger nail, egg white about the same small size, or a small piece of a vegetable without seeing a BG increase. These treats are infrequent, she isn't use to them anymore, so she doesn't seem to miss them. I don't THINK a human type-1 diabetic would eat a slice of pie, or even a slice of bread, between meals without it affecting their BG: same idea?

This might be a problem with home testing! We see the increase in BG and it drives us crazy.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat3332 View Post
Is the OM the Purina OM Overweight Mmanagement kibble? Does he eat it well?
Pat
Pat,

Otis eats the WD and the Nutro Natural Choice Senior with a small amount of Purina OM Kibble for his two meals.

His snack, mid way between meals, is either a scrambled egg or a small amount of chicken supplemented with just a few kibbles of the OM.

The OM is what he'd been eating for about 9 years, and was left over from his "pre diagnosis" days. That's pretty close to the dry WD, so I saw no problem with using it as an "additive".

BTW, just received a call from "Doctor Bob" and we're increasing his insulin to 8U 2X a day.

As I'd mentioned, he was increased from 5U to 7U on Tuesday afternoon based on his BG curve #'s being around 400. Since then, his thirst has really subsided, and there has been a small decrease in his BG, based on my Diastix tests. I relayed that info to Dr. Bob's office this AM, so now we're at 8U.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:17 PM

Hello and welcome to the board.

Most of the "first questions" have been asked and answered, so I don't have another one to add right now.

We began home testing blood glucose (BG) levels within about five days of Ruffles' dx with diabetes. I'm sure others here will agree that you should consider beginning them, too, expecially since the levels are beginning to drop. Many vets rely on once-a-week tests in their office, which is not a reliable indication of the pet's BG, IMHO. If you are at the point where the insulin is beginning to have the desired effect, increases in the dosage should be 1/4 or 1/2 unit at a time for no less than 5 days to see the effect. Sounds like you are at or near that place since you are seeing the BG begin to drop.

Anyway, we're glad to have you! Check in often and ask whatever questions you may have. Best wishes to you both.

Mary
Old 02-27-2011, 09:08 AM

Anyone have any recos regarding making sure a sight compromised dog can find his water bowl?

I'm not real sure if Otis is just not as thirsty, or if he's having trouble finding his bowl. I've put his food bowl and his water bowl on a mat so there is a change in texture on the floor.

Seems, when I give him a few pieces of cheddar cheese he finds his water bowl. Today, he hasn't had his first drink of water???
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:18 AM

hi bill
I leave ED'S in the same place as always and he finds them just my sniff and memory.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart
Old 02-27-2011, 12:14 PM

Arrow Re: Bill and Otis

Hi Bill,

I can't see the start of your thread from here, but I'm struck by the speed and amount of the insulin raises. Those are fast and big raises, and they could result, after a few days, in Otis going hypoglycemic.

Do you know what to do if he does do that? Do you know what hypoglycemia looks like? Usually (not always) trembling, staggering, restlessness, later, lethargy. Let me encourage you to learn, as soon as possible, to test his blood glucose levels at home, but if you see signs of hypoglycemia, rub Karo syrup (corn syrup) or honey or pancake syrup on his gums. The syrup absorbs very fast that way. As soon as Otis is able to swallow after that, feed him a high-protein, high-carb snack.

Answering your question as best I can - I think likely, Otis's thirst has decreased - with those fast, giant raises in insulin - not necessarily a good thing to go so fast! That's because the body takes several days to accustom itself to injected insulin in the first place, and then also, to increased doses.

Did your vet take blood glucose readings? If so, would you post them, please? If the increase was based on urine test strips, I think most vets would consider that inadequate data on which to base such an increase.

My guess is that Otis CAN find his water-bowl okay - keep an eye on him. If you want to know how much he's drinking, you could use a measuring cup as his water-bowl - make sure it's of a size he's comfortable drinking out of!

Or you could use a regular water bowl, perhaps mark a certain level (300 ml? 500 ml?) on the inside of the bowl with a permanent marker, and keep refilling that from a large measuring cup.

I used both methods with Kumbi. His drinking "bowl" was a one-liter measuring cup, and I kept a reserve supply of water in another one. Then I had two ways to measure Kumbi's water consumption. It's not a bad idea to measure, say, for several weeks at this stage.

It's possible you'll have to reduce Otis's insulin dose, and re-begin increases from there, at a slower rate. Vets just aren't very often widely nor completely educated in canine diabetes specifically - they have so many things on their plates.

Best keep in close touch with your vet - I hope your vet listens to you; should be working with you as a team on Otis's behalf.

Please, please keep us posted on how things are going; I feel quite concerned about that large increase in insulin, so soon after the last increase. Normally, you'd only increase once in about 7 days; my vets always said, it's from 7 to 14 days before we see the full effects of an increase (or decrease) in insulin dose.

And let us know how Otis makes out with finding his water! I liked your idea of a textured mat under the water bowl - good thinking!

Sun, 27 Feb 2011 12:13:22 (PST)