Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Abby's Story - 12.24.1999 to 12.31.2013 - Forever in our hearts

Oh, Barb, I can't believe this. I'm so very sorry. She had a wonderful, happy life, and so much love.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:21 PM

What a wonderful life she had with her forever family. May the memories of her unconditional love help you through this difficult time.
Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years
Old 01-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby's Mom View Post
Oh Judi, you remember some of those antics of her. Well she would also come running when a wine cork would be pulled out of a bottle, for a treat. She did that last week when she traveled with us to NJ.

It was our anniversary last night as well, but we spent the evening remembering Abby. I lost it when we opened a bottle of wine, and she was not there.

That little trooper climb Mt. Rogers in Va, all 16 miles, and when asked if she wanted to go for a walk later when we got back she did. We did not realize her pads on her paws where jagged from the rocks. She had such stamina.

I will never forget one morning, when Ron was out of town, with a paw on my shoulder when I awoke, as if she was hugging me.

I will miss her.
she was hugging you. how sweet-I love that image. She was a trooper and because of your care her diabetes didn't stop her from hiking with you guys. Just shows how hard you worked to make sure she could still have fun as a dog (even if she didn't get to eat bird seed anymore)

Abby is the first dog I have heard of who thought wine cork meant treat! (of course). She was definitely a unique girl and a perfect fit for you and Ron.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:30 PM

My heart is crushed for you....no words....
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi View Post
she was hugging you. how sweet-I love that image. She was a trooper and because of your care her diabetes didn't stop her from hiking with you guys. Just shows how hard you worked to make sure she could still have fun as a dog (even if she didn't get to eat bird seed anymore)

Abby is the first dog I have heard of who thought wine cork meant treat! (of course). She was definitely a unique girl and a perfect fit for you and Ron.

Bird seed? Of course, that is how I figured out millet may level out her curve. She was one smart cookie.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:48 PM

Arrow Re: Abby's Story - 12.24.1999 to 12.31.2013 - Forever in our hearts

OH, dear Barb! Holding you tight in my heart and arms. What a shock and surprise - though perhaps I might have guessed. You and Ron knew when the time was right, and I'm so glad you could release our beloved forum dog Abby to take her flight. (Tears.)

I agree about Abby stories. I deeply trust you'll stay with us, Barb. When I lost Kumbi, it was in some ways similar, except that he died before I could get him to the vet.

I'll be watching for Abby stories when you feel up to it. She's cavorting now at the Bridge with Kwali and Kumbi, both of whom also died of cancer.

Warmest condolences.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:08 PM

I am so, so sorry to hear about Abby's passing. Sending love and strength, knowing that time will lessen the pain, but that she will be missed always.

Lynn
Old 01-01-2014, 07:44 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Barb,
I have picked up the ipad four times now, thinking the words would come for me and I am still at a loss. I finally had to get it together before I could type words into sentences.

You know, I felt that your posts recently have been different - I had this feeling that Abby was not the same just from what you had been saying. But, the news caught me off guard. I know that she was your heart and your deep love for her allowed you to let her go at the right time. I hope when it is time, I will be able to do the same for Maggie.

When I read that Abby was gone, I was terribly upset, and my husband was asking me why it affected me so much - I guess he couldn't understand because I had never met you in person even though I talk about the people and dogs here all the time. I told him that the people here are family and every time we lose a member of the family, it is heartbreaking for all of us. It is a sobering reality that these very special angels are only loaned to us for a short time to teach us how to be better people.

Holding you close in my heart,

Amy
Old 01-01-2014, 08:02 PM

Barb,
To me Abby was another one of those dogs who belong to all of us. I loved, loved, loved how you worked so hard to control her diabetes, despite all the obstacles placed in your path. Yet you had that wonderful balance of letting her enjoy simply being a dog too. Such an inspiration!

To say I am sorry for your loss just does not do justice for what I know you must be feeling. My heart is broken for you. Hoping you can find some peace in knowing she is now pain free - and enjoying all those small things that diabetes restricted her from doing.

I hope you find peace in that you got to celebrate one more Christmas and one more birthday with her. Without a doubt I'm sure she knew that a lifetime together would not be long enough. And I'm sure the hole she has left is quite unbearable at this time.

Thinking of you and Ron and sending lots of hugs your way as you navigate through this final journey.

Holli
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 01-01-2014, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Abby's Story

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your sweet girl Abby.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.