Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Jack the project!

Hi Pam,

I'm anxious to hear how things are going with your behavioral project.

We took Jack to one of Sophia's Circus School classes on Sunday just so he could mingle with dogs and people. He was pretty distracted so it was more outing than training, which is okay. She brought over two toys for us to use in an exercise - a tennis-ball-cover little bone and a rubber squeaky mouse... he was afraid of that little mouse! Barked at it and didn't want to get close to it.

He wasn't horribly afraid as he would take treats over it and under it and on it. After a few handfuls, he was tolerant if not entirely trusting of it and would mouth it. Didn't want to pick it up though.

Tuesday we took Jack for a drive to Coloma - maybe an hour away. It's the site of the gold discovery at Sutter's Mill and it has a beautiful oak forest park along the river. On a Tuesday afternoon in February, we had the place nearly to ourselves. We pushed Jack a bit with the length of the car ride and his actvity at the park. He did well - a bit more sore than usual the next day but not too bad. Better than I thought I would do. He was SO happy to be there, loping along exploring and a few very quick dips in the very very very cold river. You could see that the water temperature was painful!

We are definitely going to do the MRI. I want to update his bloodwork first - maybe next week - and get more information from the neurologist about the process. But I expect that it will happen in the next month or so.

Natalie
Old 03-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Awe, what a great trip!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:39 AM

Talking Re: Jack the project!

Rooting for you, Jack and Katie, Natalie. Hope you can manage the MRI okay for Jack - and that the Metacam continues going well.

Love and hugs,
Thu, 3 Mar 2011 10:39:38 (PST)
Old 03-03-2011, 10:54 AM

Hi Natalie - that trip sounds like it was heaven for little Jackie boy. It's so heartwarming to see them happy, isn't it? I really hope the MRI yields some actionable information or you and Jack.

I'm curious does Jack get anxious on trips or is it a combination of pain/anxiousness?

We're doing okay - Carol has been a truly wonderful guide through this. I'm learning daily and some calming techniques have actually worked. I wasn't prepared for that! LOL.

We've talked privately so you know my house isn't exactly quiet! But, now I see how that could have created an environment that was anxiety producing for both the dogs.

I feel bad about this, but am determined to try and rectify this ASAP. My husband is actually on board with reading and learning as well. He's reading a book on Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas. Never thought I'd see the day!

But he loves the dogs too and the possibility of having to give one of them away was too painful for either one of us.

We took Pip with us on a trip to the Upper Penninsula in Michigan one year. He's good in the car (that was 5 or 6 hours), but does not tolerate being away from us. When we went up to the main cabin for dinner, he ripped all the curtains off the windows in the cabin we were staying in...good times!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Jack LOVES car rides. No anxiety at all - in fact, it's one of the least anxious places in the world for him. He feels completely safe in "his" car (does have some fear of the other Jeep, which has a lift gate that pushes his fear of overhangs).

Thanks to trips to the "Magic Window" for a hamburger, he is a huge fan of people sticking their hands out toward the driver's side window!

The problem with car rides is that he stands up the whole time and wanders around the back, yanking on his tether as he does. Even if you drive for 6 hours... He absolutely will not lay down. He wants to be looking out the window and can't stand not to see what's going on. Once in a while on a boring stretch of the freeway, he will lay down for maybe a minute.

If he was a farm dog, he'd be the one you see in the back of the truck running back and forth, back and forth the whole time.

So it's hard on his back.

His first acute episode occurred after we got back from a three-day trip where we drove for 5-6 hours a day plus had him out walking quite a bit.

Natalie
Old 03-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgcor View Post
We took Pip with us on a trip to the Upper Penninsula in Michigan one year. He's good in the car (that was 5 or 6 hours), but does not tolerate being away from us. When we went up to the main cabin for dinner, he ripped all the curtains off the windows in the cabin we were staying in...good times!
Oops!

Well, since it was a cabin, maybe they weren't very expensive curtains!

We figure right now that if there is no surgical solution, we will have to try a motor home if we ever want to go very far away. We might try to rent one for a weekend and see if he could settle down in that. Maybe we can find someone who has one and try him out in it before we even spend any money on it.

Natalie
Old 03-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Founding Member

We had a few issues with Luke not sitting or lying down in the back of the car on long trips. Hard on him and us! He is in a harness so doesn't have a lot of room to move but we discovered that by putting some high foam on the back seat so that Luke could look out the windows lying down and he settles straight away.

He still stand if something in particular catches his eye but for the most he is lying down enjoying the scenery.

Jenny
Old 03-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Interim CC

Could you put him in a crate in the back of your SUV with a large sort of booster mattress so he could see out while lying down? I suppose that could lead to jumping-up-and-down/getting-in-and-out problems though....

I'm so glad that to date Zac has taken a "I don't wanna see" attitude to the world whizzing by. Zac is a good traveler actually (considering he's such reactive dog) - if you don't count a tendency to be a bit gassy, usually on the way home! We have to make sure he gets no peas or beans the preceding day.

Alison
Old 03-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Administrator

We've been thinking for a while about trying to set up some kind of bench layer where Jack could lay down and see out. I have my doubts that he will lay on it but would love to be proven wrong.

We bought a crate a while ago just to contain him but he was absolutely miserable, defeating the purpose of making his car rides more pleasant. Same thing with the ramp, both of which now reside in the garage!

Chris was neutral about car rides so was happy to lay quietly in the back until we got to the fun part - the destination.

Quote:
Zac is a good traveler actually (considering he's such reactive dog) - if you don't count a tendency to be a bit gassy, usually on the way home! We have to make sure he gets no peas or beans the preceding day.
LOL... You know, most of Chris' life he had a terrible reputation for gas. Turned out, after we changed his diet, that it was the corn in his food. Wish we'd known that sooner!

It's nice that Zac travels well. Poor guy had an awful time during the flooding down there. That kind of abrupt disruption would be hard for Jack too. I felt so bad reading about how anxious he was...

Natalie
Old 03-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Founding Member

Natalie,

Have you thought about a car hammock? That would allow Jack to lay down and still see out.

Here's one on the Foster and Smith site: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3&pcatid=11123

Bonnie and Angel Criss