Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 04-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Jack the project!

Nat,
Some sort of closure will be good for you. Can the pain be alleviated by surgery? You like I have to give our animals 150% of our care . And yes you would never forgive yourself if the pain could get much less for Jack. If it were I I would do the X rays Hopefully this is not too expensive. Then decide if an MRI is worth doing. The MRI is extremely expensive I know.You have gone this far. Why not go a bit further?

Whatever your decision is Nat I know it will be the right one. Jiggle the pros and cons the " Just Do It" ( isn't that a Nike commercial? )
Old 04-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Founding Member

Hope Jack is feeling more rested today....(((HUGS)))
Old 04-15-2011, 04:51 PM

Natalie I am praying for you and jack. I agree and maybe you should just do it. The xray, the MRI and hopefully you will finally find out what is wrong.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:45 PM

Hi Natalie, hope Jack is feeling a little better.

When I read your post on how poor Jack was struggling, 2 things struck me as very familiar. The bunny hop and the rolling of the hip.

When we got Cleo at 10 weeks old, she was overtly in better shape than Buddy but there were many things she just would not do it... she wouldn't jump on or off the couch, Buddy was already trained on stairs and she wouldn't do it. On her walks, she would just stop and lay down. At first, the vet said it was due to her luxated patella, then they thought it was because of a level 4 heart murmur. Then they suggested acupuncture and after 2 sessions we didn't go back.

Finally when she was 9 months old, they did an x-ray and discovered a hairline fracture and they did the excision orthoplasty of the femoral head. I don't have your technical know how and am dealing with a second language but the layman explanation was the removal of the ball of her knee. The surgery was performed by a vet surgeon from Guelph University which is the only vet teaching hospital in Ontario.

Because she was so tiny, there was no prosthesis for a dog that small so we had to keep her on a leash all the time, restrict her exercice, not allow her to run and we crated her most of the time. We also had to manually exercice her back leg . This lasted one year in order for the bones to fuse together again.

She was put on glucosomine/chondritin and even though her little leg is a little shorter and she walks with a small limp, she has been doing well since. If we over exercice her (like runs on the beach) she will limp and not be able to jump on/off the couch but she is now 10 1/2 and we have to give her metacam. She has the occasional flare up (humidity, cold etc) but overall she is doing good.

I am hoping for both you and Jack that an x-ray would provide as positive an answer as it did for our Cleo.

As a matter of information, the surgery cost $2,000 10 years ago.

Good luck. Thoughts and prayers for both of you

Louise
Old 04-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Wow, Louise, a fractured bone at such a young age! Poor girl.

I do think we need to do x-rays. I asked the current vet for the series of x-rays he did in 2009 when we were looking at the weak pasterns - he x-rayed all of Jack's ankle/wrists, knees/elbows, and hip/shoulders. They might shed some light but they predate his signs of pain by a year and the vet wants to anesthetize Jack so he can get some really good crisp films of the spine to knee in the back. Jack won't hold very still if he's conscious.

If we get the x-rays there, then, while they have him under anesthesia, they can do the MRI if they want to take a further look based on the x-rays. If they found something obvious in the x-rays, they could skip the MRI.

Yunhee also gave me the name of a good orthopedist/surgeon in the Bay Area. I'm thinking about a second opinion from him as well as there's no rush to do anything other than my desire to put the question to rest.

The one thing that makes a difference is doing the x-rays at the hospital that has the MRI as that would mean just one anesthesia instead of two times.

Our semi-retired vet is an ultrasound expert and he mentioned to me once about doing an ultrasound of a joint. I might pester him about that possibility too since he's still doing ultrasound work. Just to see what he thinks it could actually tell us.

We are currently in muddle mode. Lots to think about and no need to rush to a decision.

It's taking Jack a long time to recover the benefit of the Metacam after all that manipulation on his leg. He's still doing some limping and is not very energetic on walks. I think the effect of the Metacam builds over time so expect that it will get better as days go on. At least I hope so.

Thank you all for your kind comments, contributions, and well wishes. Jack is such a treasured member of the family. He's been with us two and a half years now and I think we are even more twitterpated over him than we were before! Partly because he's much more relaxed and secure that this is home. Sometime in the past year, he made it over that threshold of being a little unsure that he was here to stay to knowing that this is his family.

Natalie
Old 04-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Founding Member

Nat,
I do agree with your thoughts on doing the X ray and then going from there. It would be sweet if Jack's problem was a simple one with surgery as the fix. No need to rush.It is nice to have your options laid out on the table so you can decide. Thanks the Lord that you don't have a pushy Dr that doesn't give a hoot. Like I say all of the time I know you can relate to this. Our dogs need to get a job to pay for their care. You know get on a corner with a sign that Reads " My Mommy has too many vet bills!!!And I need a job!!!"Because these vet bills never end. But SO WORTH IT!!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 09:19 PM
Administrator

I scheduled the radiographs, potentially followed immediately by an MRI, for May 9.

On May 5 he will have blood drawn for a full blood panel - partly preanesthesia, partly I want to check his thyroid level one more time as his fur is awfully dry lately. And I'm going to have them do a SNAP test for tick disease on the off chance that he was exposed to Lyme disease sometime in the past two years since he last tested for it.

I don't necessarily think Lyme disease is a likely cause. He tested negative for it two years ago and the test was done several months after he was bitten by a deer tick and went through two weeks of doxycycline. But he has been exposed to many ticks since then and his symptoms, which were never as bad as they are now until approximately one year ago, are similar to the lameness that comes from Lyme. So I figure we might as well cover all of the bases at once.

They won't do the MRI if there is an obvious cause for his limping and lack of exercise tolerance on the radiographs. If there isn't and the neurologist still thinks it could be a pinched nerve, then they will go straight to the MRI while he's still under anesthesia.

Natalie
Old 04-30-2011, 12:50 AM

Arrow Re: Jack the project!

Sounds like excellent planning, Natalie.

Where is this being done - Nancy Kay's hospital? Just curious.

Wishing you and Jack all the best, and you can believe, I will be watching; Kwali, Kumbi and Camellia and I will all be waving our magic wands in Jack's favor and in yours.

Sat, 30 Apr 2011 00:50:35 (PDT)
Old 04-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Yes, at Dr. Kay's hospital.

I thought about doing the x-rays locally but these are the folks who have actually seen how Jack walks and manipulated his joints plus can put him straight to the MRI if they think one is needed so only one anesthesia required.

Natalie
Old 04-30-2011, 06:24 PM

Arrow Re: Jack the project!

Looks to me like really good planning, and I also believe you're in good hands there.

Looking forward to your reports, when the time comes. All magic-wand waving continuing!

Sat, 30 Apr 2011 18:24:09 (PDT)