Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Soaphie

Phew, glad the eye/ nose thing is not causing problems....that was a scary one, Huh?

I hope for you to get even more relief some with the numbers calming down.

I know things are better, but still pretty demanding it sounds like. Hang in there.

Tara
Old 06-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Sooo glad to hear that Tami. Hope the possible UTI doesn't stick around long with starting the Amox. Give that magic paw a high five for us.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:15 AM

Soaphie celebrates her 5-year sugarversary next week....she will be 13 in October - it just seems bizarre that she has been diabetic for such a great part of her life. We owe you all a HUGE round of applause and endless thanks for all your help in getting us this far (CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP)!!!

Update:

About a month ago I noticed a black-red raised lump on the outside of her inner toe on back right leg. I made note of it to monitor and also made note that I would make an appt to have it checked out after vacation next week. Well - of course, yesterday I noticed her licking - I went to check out what was up - and that lump was bleeding all over and wouldn't stop (of course). I cleaned it and wrapped it. We have an appt this morning at 940 am.

Sigh.

Knock on wood - her blood sugar has been pretty good (for her). We are at 10.5 units. She is getting along well with her blindness. She is my bestie/apprentice/sidekick/favorite co-worker/lovebug.

Tami
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:02 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

You go sophers. We all love you
Old 07-26-2013, 06:05 AM

Wow 5 years of diabetes is impressive - must be a great credit to your care!

Hope the lump is innocuous - it is worrying when you find them, though they are often nothing too serious.
Antonia
Old 07-26-2013, 06:10 AM

Happy Sugar Anniversary Sophie.
- Hope her eye is doing better.

I just can't believe that you have two diabetic dogs. The Gods must have been shining upon you, to give you two great gifts!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:31 AM
Founding Member

Happy Anniversary to Soaphie. I hope it is just a cyst. Congratulations to you Tami, you are such a fantastic care giver! Judi
Old 07-26-2013, 06:35 AM

Congratulations, hope the bump is nothing

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart
Old 07-26-2013, 07:23 AM

Congrats Soaphie!! Praying the bump is nothing to worry about!
Mel
Old 07-26-2013, 08:07 AM

Going to have the lump removed Thursday, August 8th - unless it gets worse. Starting a course of antibiotics (simplecef) to try to "shrink it" from the inside so it stops bleeding (and then maybe we can leave it unwrapped). Doc said that it's not bleeding because she licked it - rather, it's growing that way.

She has had some issues getting up from a seated position (not laying down) over the past week, also, her back legs have been splaying (well, sliding to the outside) when drinking water (not every time). Initially I thought it was her spondylosis acting up so medicated as per our protocol...but vet, after thorough examination, thinks her back is doing great - and that her right knee was probably the culprit. We are going to try amytriptyline for that. (Sydney is on that as well).
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.