Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Founding Moderator

Default Re: Soaphie

We switched species three times. Each time we did so, it was just begin using the new insulin, period. I know others who have made transitions to either human or pork insulin and they did the same thing--began the new insulin at a modest dose, leaving the old one behind. Don't know of anyone who made a change like the one proposed for Sophie.

Kathy
Old 12-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Founding Moderator

http://www.vetsulin.com/vet/DosingConverting.aspx

This is transitioning from human insulin to Vetsulin. There's no mention of the need for a mixture of the two insulins at all:

"When an insulin change is necessary, one must be very cautious. Due to the nature of the disease, it is difficult to have general guidelines; however, some recommendations can be made:

"If regulation is already adequate, it is suggested to start Vetsulin at 50−75% of the dosage used with the previous insulin.

"If ideal regulation has not been achieved, it is suggested to first investigate the cause of poor regulation: eg, owner administration issues, insulin storage issues, use of improper syringes, Somogyi overswing, etc. Once it has been determined that the dose of the previous insulin is inadequate, start Vetsulin at 75−100% of the dosage used with the previous insulin."

Jenny, who is a member of this board, needed to switch Buddy from Caninsulin/Vetsulin to NPH; AFAIK, she did no transition like the one your new vet detailed. There were also two others who were members of another diabetes board who needed to make the switch from Caninsulin to human insulin, and I know they only stopped using the Caninsulin/Vetsulin and started using the human product.

From a personal standpoint, when neither human nor beef insulin were doing anything for Lucky, we were eager to leave the old insulin behind with the hope that the new one would be what he needed.

Lucky's switches from human to beef to pork, were supervised by our vet, as were the transitions from pork Lente to pork NPH and back to pork Lente, made necesssary by Lilly's discontinuation of their pork Lente and his having issues with both the protamine suspension and different preservatives of pork NPH. Since he was intolerant of everything in the pork NPH except the pork insulin itself, we were only to happy to be able to stop using it for him.

Kathy

Adding here--one of the dogs from the other board was initially placed on Insuvet Lente-U 100 bovine Lente insulin available only in the UK. The insulin did not work quickly enough for him because of the two amino acid difference between bovine and canine insulin.

He was then switched from Insuvet Lente to Caninsulin/Vetsulin. That worked too quickly for him because more dilute insulin work faster than less dilute ones and the amino acid match between pork insulin and canine insulin is a perfect one.

He was finally switched to U 100 NPH insulin and the combination of the less dilute insulin and the one amino acid difference between human and canine insulin provided him with what he personally needed to manage his diabetes.

He wasn't switched by mixing any of these insulins any more than Lucky was.

Last edited by We Hope; 12-21-2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-21-2008, 04:52 PM

After the lows we have been having - I want to be done with it and not look back.

Thanks for your advice!
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Everyone one I know who has changed just switched immediately to the other insulin at a reduced dose and worked up to the right level of insulin units since it can definitely vary.

Which makes me wonder a bit about this vet's recommendation in terms of other advice she might give... she may not be used to people who home test blood glucose... ? I can't think of any reason really to do that.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:29 AM
Founding Member

Hi,
Buddy made the change from Caninsulin to Humulin N overnight. He had been well regulated on the Caninsulin for nearly 4 years before we struck trouble hence the change. He was on 4.8iu of Caninsulin at night and we made the change to 4iu of Humulin N the next morning. His numbers didn't change, meaning the highs and lows were the same number with each insulin just the timing of them changed. We had to increase a bit to 4.5iu but are now back to 4iu and doing great after a diet change. Caninsulin saved my boys life and gave us 4 more years so I have nothing but good things to say about it but I have noticed with the NPH that I am able to get a flatter curve which makes getting better numbers easier.
Jenny & Buddy
Old 12-23-2008, 05:08 AM

Yesterdays appt went very very well. We are starting at 10/10 NPH and will adjust from there. This morning her BG was 263.

Thank you everyone!

Tami
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:29 AM
Founding Member

Hi Tami,
I've really appreciated reading this part of your thread as I want to change Lady to a human insulin. (Will check with our pharmacist to see if NPH is available here before I discuss it further with the vet.)
Lady is approximately 15lbs and gets 16iu's of Caninsulin twice a day....haven't checked her in the last week so don't know if it's made much of a difference.
Wishing you all the best with the transition and I'll be checking back often to see how you make out,
Jo-Ann & Lady
Old 12-23-2008, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Everything's crossed here in hopes that Soaphie gets nice level curves from the NPH!

Even just from the standpoint of working with a large dog, it's nice to use NPH instead.

Natalie
Old 12-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Founding Member

I think it will all go well for you, seems most owners do the switch and have better results.

Take care all will be OK
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 12-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Administrator

I see from posts elsewhere that Soaphie seems tired despite good blood sugar levels. Keep an eye on this as Chris was allergic to the protamine in NPH and he showed it by being lethargic and tired, especially when walking. Once he was on all NPH, he couldn't walk to the end of the block.

Sounds, too, like Soaphie may be one of those dogs whose blood sugar bounces around regardless of the insulin. Time will tell. Chris was not all that stable on a dose of insulin and we varied his number of units periodically. His was kind of a wave of rolling changings.