Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Soaphie

Thank you all for your responses!

Like I said in my initial post about my appt with the dog chiropractor - it was a bizarre appt. It's difficult to describe - but odd is how I would sum it up. Right now we have stopped the Deramaxx and her antibiotic for the UTI is going to end today as well.....then the weight loss quest will start which should help her back.

As for the milk thistle and sam e the though behind recommending those two items was because the liver metabolizes the medicine, this would help with the metabolization (just as you stated Kevin).

Over the next couple of days I'm going call our "normal" vet and re-group with her on the visit with the dog chiropractor.

Again - thanks so much for the input!

Tami & Soaphie
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Last edited by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom; 09-30-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:51 PM

Tami,
Nothing intelligent to add, just wanting to send you my moral support.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog
Old 09-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Administrator

When we met with the neurologist this spring about Jack's back, he said that personally he's not a big fan of treating spinal pain with NSAIDs like Deramaxx and Metacam because they generally don't work that well for it. His recommendation for Jack, if he had continued to experience signs of the spinal cord being impinged, would have been either prednisone for anti-inflammatory effect (obviously problematic for a diabetic) or gabapenten, depending on what kind of pain he was thought to be experiencing and what was causing it.

Impinged nerves can cause stabbing and burning pain generated directly by the nerve and if inflammation isn't what's pinching the nerve, then anti-inflammatory, whether steroids or NSAIDs, might not do much for that type of pain.

The gabapenten, on the other hand, is aimed directly at the nerve in relieving pain. So I believe the feeling is that there are types of pain that wouldn't be relieved by the other options. Fibromyalgia, for example, is currently seen as a problem, really simplistically, of overactive nerves.

But it's possible that inflammation is what's pinching the nerves and anti-inflammatory meds could relieve the pinch by relieving the inflammation.

We had Jack on Metacam for two weeks plus rest - not absolute crate rest as that would have driven him mad but no exercise outdoors at all and limits as much as we could in the house - and his neurologic signs of the spine being pinched resolved and haven't returned so far.

Of course, the difficulty is in knowing what kind of pain they have... and in knowing how much pain they are in.

I tend to just assume that they are in a LOT of pain if they show signs of pain as they do tend to be very stoic about it.

Frankly, I was relieved that we didn't have to choose either pred or gabapentin and that he seems to be managing so far without it. I didn't want to use either one.

I probably wouldn't use gabapenten without a neurologist convincing me that it was necessary and after a trial on an NSAID or Tramadol convinced me that they weren't working.

I usually do recommend a 20-25% reduction in quantity of food for weight loss. If the current quantity of food seems to be way too much - causing her to gain weight rapidly, then more of a reduction might be good since the quantity of food you're starting with seems to be way too much.

Not saying it is way too much - just that I'd reduce a diet that's resulted in rapid weight gain more than I would reduce a diet where the weight has crept up slowly over a long period of time.

Natalie
Old 10-06-2010, 04:50 PM

Greetings everyone!

I did somewhat of a curve today on Soaphie....

This is 7.5 units (she's been on this amount for the last four days along with reduced food):

7:03 a.m. = 228
1:06 p.m. = 280
3:43 p.m. = 230
7:02 p.m. = 177

Pretty good - I might be able to increase her dose slightly.

Any thoughts?

Tami & The Amazing Soaphie Dog
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:43 PM

Arrow Re: Soaphie

Tami - that does look pretty good to me! Of course, you changed two things at once; ha!

I thought maybe I was the only one who used to do that at times!

Hope things continue to go well! wishing you the best; I'll be watching!

Wed, 6 Oct 2010 18:43:13 (PDT)
Old 10-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaphie's Mom View Post
Pretty good - I might be able to increase her dose slightly.
I agree. I know Soaphie's sensitive to small increases like Ali is. I'd go for a very small increase and see how she does.

Patty
Old 10-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Administrator

That looks good Tami!

We have seen a few dogs just derail with a slight change in diet - not common but sometimes a little change makes things crazy. So I'm glad this seems to be working so well for her.

Natalie
Old 10-10-2010, 05:05 AM

My BFF Soaphie-diggy-dog is celebrating her 10th birthday today. 10 years old on 10-10-10. I'm so lucky to have her

Tami
Old 10-10-2010, 06:07 AM

WOO HOO!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SOAPHIE !!!!

Congratulations and best wishes for many more happy, healthy birthdays!
Kevin

Last edited by ozzi; 10-10-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Awe, her Golden birthday

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Soaphie-girl !!!

And many more...

Patty and Ali