Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Soaphie

Tami, you can't "win" that kind of "catch-22" cycle. Do what you feel is best; all you can do is the best you can. Follow your heart if your mind won't think it through logically. For me, I'd try to determine the "worst case scenario" for each decision. (What's the worst that will happen if you don't do anything; what's the worst if you go ahead with the operation?) Then go with the one you are most comfortable with, although I realize you will not be "comfortable" with either one. Personally, I'd rather get that thing out of there and find out what it is. The fact that it is changing seems a warning sign. What does your vet say about either option?

Whatever you decide, we're here for support.

Mary
Old 12-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Founding Member

oh Tami I hear you. It took 6 weeks of amoxycillan for Jenny to get over kennel cough. They just seem so fragile.

Didn't Natalie have a cat they they monitored and used the least possible amount of anesthesia? Maybe she'll have time to pop in.

After 5 years though it is hard to think it is anything more than a lump or fatty cyst though.

I had a cyst on my neck for 2 years, it got "angry" got it removed. yes it was just a cyst. I hope Soaphie's is the same and you can figure it out without surgery

hugs
Old 12-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Founding Member

my jesse had a choice of anesthesia i do not know the technical terms but the reason for the choice was jesse had to get food and shot in 1.5 hours and i did not want her not to be able to eat and try to adjust insulin without food so he said he would give her the type that was fast acting more expensive and would be out of her system very quickly and it was once she woke up wide awake and ready to eat no grogginess at all maybe it was a gas type that worked through the lungs and thats the reason it did not hang around to long
Old 12-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Never an easy decision. Ali's had 2 'bumps' removed since becoming diabetic. Both times I'm glad we did it but, like you, we watched them a bit first. The 2nd one had possible indicators for precancerous cell formation.

The fact that it's changing is a red flag to me. Has she ever aspirated the bump?

I know when we decided to aspirate Ali's it didn't have much of a blood supply which is a good thing. Mast cell tumors can have a pretty good blood supply to them and aspirating them can cause them to spread.

Can you find out what mix of drugs they use for anesthesia?
Patty
Old 12-20-2011, 07:13 PM

Tami

Can they try to draw some cells to see what it is? My Abby had a ton of bumps. Never were they dangerous.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:06 PM

How big is the bump? My Amy's had bumps removed (as big as 2cm) with just local anesthesia.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:20 PM

My vet was pretty calm about the whole anethesia deal with a diabetic dog so I don't think I'd worry overmuch....BUT...we all have our fears and as Mary said, you just have to weigh one risk for another. I'd personally be worried that something that hasn't changed in years has suddenly changed. That is usually a bad sign. Least for humans so I would assume is prob the same for dogs. But go with your gut...doesn't sound like it's a critical decision so you prob have time to think on it. Hugs!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:24 AM

Thanks everyone.

I'll try to answer everyone's questions:

1) I don't know the type of anesthesia - but I do know that she cannot eat after midnight and only 1/2 insulin in the morning (of course, I'll take her BG to make sure she isn't too low before giving 1/2). Good question though - I'll try to find out.

2) The bump has bled - so definitely a blood source there. They didn't aspirate any cells from this one - but they did aspirate some cells from a bump by her tail yesterday (the one by her tail is small and under the skin) - that one was just a cyst. The bump hasn't bled in the last couple weeks now, but for a few weeks before that it did bleed (in fact, when she sleeps, she often leans against a wall and there would be blood on it in the a.m.).

3) The size of the bump above the skin is nickel size, but you can tell there is "stuff" under the skin as well. I mentioned just giving her a bunch of litocaine/novocaine locally, and they said it wasn't possible because they weren't sure how deep and wide it went under the skin.

Thanks for all your input!!!

Tami & Soaphiebumpy
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:06 AM

forbin did very well under anasthesia tammi to get his teeth cleaned and for cataract surgery. No issues at all and his BGs were great!! I gave him half his insulin and no food and they monitored him during surgery and he did very well.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 AM

Tami,
Ali's tail bump was similar in that it kept ulcerating but was also growing quite a bit. I was hoping they could do it under local as well but it wound up with several nodules underneath the skin and required a larger incision than was planned. This is a link to that surgery http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?p=17462

This was her most recent one http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?p=57049

Both times I made sure she could be first on their surgery schedule and I went back and sat with her when she came to.

There are different 'cocktails' of anesthesia used in different vet offices. Ali was pretty vocal the first time she came out of it and flopped around a bit. The second time was much easier on her waking up but she was more out of it the rest of the day.

If it's already open and bleeding at times, I wonder if they could just take some cells to send off to pathology before deciding to operate.

Patty