Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Bagel joins the group and Mommy is melting

well just as I was bragging on her and we went for a nice walk and she is so spunky and alert..
Then I come inside-- my son and I had gone to a movie... had been gone a few hours and her bed has blood stains that are coming from her vulva again....last time it was darker red and she had a stone...they tried to dissolve it for three months with an antibiotic for 10 days and put her on a special food (urinary so) and then she had the diabetes diagnosis...and all was well with the bladder..
I am freaked a little cause Doc is out of town til Sunday night and he is the only one who gives out his phone no....
I called a tech and she said going to the emergency vet , they would want to xray and do all new stuff...she said she didnt think he would want me to do that....they don;t have her extensive history....
She doesn't seem in pain at all...just ate and had her shot..
She is laying on the bed on a towel..the stains are very dilluted with an occasional red spot...
oh geez this is nerve wracking....She says drop her off Monday morning..can I wait that long????????????????????????
Old 11-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Administrator

I'm no expert on this... I think as long as she doesn't block it may not be an emergency as long as she is not in pain.

If she blocks, then it is a very dire emergency.

And if she seems to be umcomfortable or in pain, then I would take her.

If you have to take her, you should be able to just talk to them about it and not approve any extensive tests if you don't want to do that. Of course you will have to pay the fee for the emergency visit but I wouldn't let them whisk her away and do all kinds of things without your permission.

Did she come off the food for the stones when she was diagnosed with diabetes?

If so, she could probably go back on it.

Natalie
Old 11-28-2009, 03:50 PM

thanks Natalie...
She seems just fine....Ate a good dinner and keeps coming in here for me to scratch her back....

She seems to be going fine...I will check better now that I know to look...
The Tech said sometimes a stoen can roll around and dislodge a little clot...

She was on the food for 3 months and doing fine....but it is Urinary SO and mostly corn...
made me wonder if THAT kicked the diabetes in?

I am good as long as she does not act like she is in pain...She didn't act like that last time and the blood was more and not dilluted..
I will keep that in mind if I have to go the way of the Emergency Vet..
Never wished my weekend away so fast but I sure wish it were MONDAY!
S
Old 11-28-2009, 03:52 PM

yes, he took her off that food and put her on diabetes food...Purina DCO which is more protein and fiber..

The tech said he may want to mix it the two..but corn and corn products can;t be good..Maybe there is another kind?
Old 11-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Administrator

While I may not prefer corn as the first choice, a lot of dogs have done well eating corn based food for many years. So if it's the difference between her having bladder stones and not having bladder stones, I'd probably go back to the SO or see if there is another product for it.

I have a cat who is eating soy protein isolate!!

Not my first choice of cat foods but he has IBD shading into lymphoma and it's working for him so as long as it works for him it's okay by me. I do give him some meat baby food to go with it.

As I recall, depending on the kind of stones, many vegetables that are popular with diabetics are very bad for a dog who gets stones or crystals.

So diet adjustments might be needed and worthwhile even with the diabetes to help control this problem.

Natalie
Old 11-29-2009, 04:03 AM

well that sounds good... I will feed her anything that will work!!

I slept on the bed with her...she didn;t budge all night and rested well...She didn't bleed any! I took her out this Am and tried to catch some pee since it was dark, I wanted to see what she was doing.
Not her usual I think but she did fill a tupperware lid..not a very scientific measurement- so maybe 1/4 cup or so..

Now she is sleeping after her breakfast and shot...
I am hopeful that she can have a very uneventful day today!!
Sande
Old 11-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Founding Member

Uneventful days are the best!! Hope it continues.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:18 PM

Beautiful day and we went out for a long buggy ride..no more bleeding last night or today at all...
Think I will drop a specimen and a note off before they open in the AM since it is the first day back to school..and maybe save an office visit.??
then they can call me as to what to do next...

WHY is she yelping now every time I stick the needle in?
LAWD she has a LOUD hound scream...

It is a tiny needle and she has huge amounts of skin on the nape of her neck...
Her granny was a Bassett hound!
I warm it under my arm...
okay well....
It was a great Thanksgiving and I lvoed having my son home and my "daughter" spunky!!
Sande
Old 11-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Sounds like you are rotating the injection site...

You might try altering the angle of the syringe or how deeply you set the needle. And I think we already covered the warming it up first.

Sometimes it's just a behavior issue. You can try taking a capped syringe and touching it her skin and see if she yelps. Then you will know it's an anticipation thing.

There are also other places she could be injected if she just doesn't like it there. It's pretty common for dogs to prefer one side to another or one place in a spot to another.

Chris was great about injections on his left side but didn't like them on the right side in the same area. So we just used the left side.

Do a little experimenting with the capped syringe or the tip of a pen and try it in different places on her too to see if some areas are sensitive.

Does the skin look red or inflamed?

Natalie
Old 11-29-2009, 04:35 PM

Great tips...
Her neck is so thick with fur I can't tell if it is red....It's the biggest hunk of loose skin ...but I will try the capped syringe or pen thing...
The last few meals, as soon as she is through she tries to take off back to the bed to lie down... to get away from it...
DRAMA I hope... ;-)