Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Bagel joins the group and Mommy is melting

I always figured a curve at the vet was more dull than traumatic. Lots of sitting around in a kennel in between tests. Some vets test by drawing blood from a vein. Others use the ear.

You know you have a bad bottle when the blood sugar suddenly shoots up - back to drinking lots of water and urine and blood strongly positive for glucose if you're testing.

Insulin is temperature sensitive so too much heat or too much cold and it can be destroyed. Like if it's left sitting in a box on a loading dock in freezing temperatures.

Anecdotally, I have heard many people say that a bottle of Vetsulin once in use does not hold its potency for more than 25-30 days. But others have been able to extend its use longer. I am not sure what makes the difference - could be handling by the supplier, handling at home as far as storage, and how well you mix it before each injection.

It lasts the longest if kept in the door of the refrigerator with the bottle upright to keep the crystals from getting stuck on the rubber stopper.

I have seen chihuahuas tested on the lip so size isn't necessarily an issue in terms of where to test. Frequency just depends on the dog and the owner. We have some folks who only rarely test, once a month or less. Other who test once a week, some who test once a day, and some who test multiple times a day.

A lot will depend on how Bagel's food and insulin are working, which you will find out with the curve. When the difference between highest and lowest blood sugar is small, it's easier to test rarely.

Once the curve is done, ask the vet for the numbers for each test and post them here. We can take a look and see how things seem to be coming along.

Natalie
Old 11-11-2009, 01:52 PM

OK WOW that was very helpful!!!!

I am looking online here and reading about glucometers...

I found the One Touch Ultra 2 for a great deal on ebay and also Amazon..Was reading that it was a good one...
any advice there?
thanks!!
Old 11-11-2009, 03:37 PM

anybody seen the Ipet monitor for cats and dogs? video is great!!
Old 11-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Administrator

I LOVE the OneTouch Ultra.

I have some reservations about the iPet as I have seen some folks get inconsistent readings from it.

A human meter will be a lot cheaper over the long run as the strips are less expensive.

Personally I always recommend starting with a human meter and then, when you're proficient at testing, if you want to go to a meter meant for pets, do it then.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Founding Member

Hi Sande,

Quote:
I found the One Touch Ultra 2
We used that one and I really liked it.

Good luck with the curve tomorrow and please let us know how it goes. Hugs to you and Bagel.

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart
Old 11-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Interim CC

Most dogs don't seem to like having their mouth messed with - I guess it reminds them of another dog "disciplining" them or gives some other doggie message like that. But as long as the dog isn't really hysterical about it is pretty easy to get them used to it by using praise, rewards (food or otherwise) for allowing you to fiddle with their mouth in a more and more intrusive way for longer and longer. Most seem to learn to associate it with good things and just to put up with it.

I have to be able to handle my dog's mouth, especially his lips, as here we have deadly paralysis ticks and the mouth, particularly the lips, are one of their favorite places for attaching themselves so regular inspections are necessary. It also makes vet visits less traumatic (and safer for the vet!) if they are basically accepting of having their mouth handled.

I follow mouth fiddling with an ear massage with Zac as he loves having his ears sort of pulled.

Alison
Old 11-11-2009, 04:30 PM

great advice everyone...
I got that One Touch Ultra 2 on ebay for cheap..brand new,,,
Hope it comes soon...

Will let cha know how she does tomorrow..
Sande
Old 11-12-2009, 10:19 AM

Because of the recent issues with Vetsulin, it may be easier to regulate with an insulin you can count on. Try to keep your routine the same every day and it will be easier to regulate. I had a bad vial 2 months ago and it was an absolute nightmare. Once they are out of whack it takes a bit to get them back to their normal.

My dog went blind (in less than a few months of diagnosis) and I had cataract surgery performed on him. His vision is back to normal, which makes me soooo happy

Also, I was terrified when I had to give Jory (my baby) his first shot and in the beginning he would cry because I was using syringes from the vet. What I found is that you can get syringes from the drug store that are much thinner guage, which makes it more comfortable for the dog. PLEASE NOTE there is a difference in dosing if you are using Vetsulin. Syringes from the vet for Vetsulin are U40 and at the drug store they are U100, which means that you have to do a simple conversion to dose properly. It is 2.5 to 1. So if you give your dog 2 units in the U40 syringe, it is 5 units in the U100. The cheapest I have found is the Walgreens Brand, which is $18 for 100 syringes. In some states, you have to have your vet fax a script for them. I use the 31 guage Ultra Fine II short needles, but my dog's fur is short. If you do this, you may want the longer needles because Bagel's fur is a little longer and you want to make sure you can get it in. The nice thing is that they do not react to these needles because they are so thin. If you switch insulins, then you do not need a conversion.

I haven't read the entire thread so I will go back and look, but if you didn't already say it, what dose did your vet start you out at?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:41 PM

well...back from her first curve day....
LAST week when she was diagnosed, her Bg was 420.
After a week of 9 units 2 X a day of Vetsulin, this morning at 8:30 it was 673
then 10:30 556
12:30 520
5 PM 490

I brought her home and am now to increase it to 11 units a dayuntil next Thurs and she does another curve day...
I knew it was out of whack last night..She was drinking like a crazydog..we are having horrible winds and rain and she had to go out in all of it to pee several times..

I decided since I am one week into all this and I have been with these topnotch vets for 10 years and 4 other animals, I will trust them to do their best for Bagel. They adore her and with her Cushings and all, they have always been special to her and to me. I got 100 syringes for $25 so that wasn't bad and he wants to stay with the vetsulin- the regional vets still prefer it and have been in touch with the company and feel secure with them...
anyway..a week ago I didn't even know anything but almost passed out
when I had to think of giving her a shot..Tonight I looked at the angle I had that needle as she was eating and thought how close I was to my finger..HA will be more careful!
I doubt she would be a good candidate for cataract surgery- is that a definite with diabetes?
oh well..tonight she sleeps contentedly and I can breathe a little better.
thanks to all for the support and good advice.
STILL trying to decide on the best food...
Sande
Old 11-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Administrator

I skimmed quickly and didn't see it... how much does Bagel weigh?

Also, when was her Cortisol level last checked and how was it?

She may need more or less than average insulin for her size depending on how well contained the Cushing's is.

Are you checking her urine for ketones?

Her blood sugar is very high so ketones are a concern.