Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:53 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Sissy's Mom

happy days
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 02-08-2016, 11:59 AM

Question Re: Sissy's Mom

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me where I can get Denamarin????I used to get it, but can't remember where?????
Anyone Help, lolol, must be a senior moment!!!!
Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:10 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

I get it through Dr. Foster and Smith but any place like that would have it. I have to get Maggie's Anipryl there so I just order them at the same time every month. I am sure there are cheaper places to get it but the prescription process for Anipryl is pretty easy with them and I can usually get a free shipping or some type of discount.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:15 PM

Wink Re: Sissy's Mom

Thanks Amy,
And i believe i didn't need a script last time.

Hope miss maggie is doing better...thoughts with you all..
Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:05 PM

Unless you are looking for the chewable denamarin, you can get it a LOT cheaper buying the SamE and the milk thistle separately.
I get mine at life extension lef.org less than 1/2 the price, same stuff.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:23 AM

Talking Re: Sissy's Mom

Thanks joan,
Will check that out
Old 03-07-2016, 05:34 PM

Wink Re: Sissy's Mom

Does anyone know if starting levothyroxine for sissy will increase or decrease her insulin needs?????
I start her thyroid tomarrow
Old 03-07-2016, 06:52 PM

Hi Jackie. Was Sissy showing symptoms of low thyroid levels? Have you had a full thyroid panel run on her recently? Do you have the results?

Hypothyroidism is known to cause insulin resistance in dogs so if she indeed does have it - and you medicate her for it - her insulin needs will very likely decrease.

Decker's vet had said his insulin needs may decrease a little bit over time. I'd read otherwise and am glad I did. He went from 10u of levemir to 6u in a five day span. And dropped back to 5u of levemir a couple of weeks after that.

Is Sissy still on levemir? How much is she currently getting? If the thyroid meds do decrease her insulin need - giving her levemir, due to it's potency, could become challenging due to her size.

You've got the tools to test her and have done wonderful thus far- no doubt you'll be prepared. Hope all goes well tomorrow. Keep us posted.

Holli
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 03-07-2016, 07:02 PM

Question Re: Sissy's Mom

Hi holli,
Yes,she had had a full thyroid panel last year,she was a little low,just had another one done.her levels were much lower this time.also,other related levels were low. I will look those up.a different lab did this test so numbers are a little different. ..
Yes,she is on levemir.i also read about insulin resistance, but i guess i read it wrong.
Ya,if her insulin decreases, lol,it will get low.she now gets 2.25 units morning and night.i will watch her very carefully. . We are starting her on a lower starting dose than normal for her weight...
Old 03-08-2016, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylynjm View Post
Does anyone know if starting levothyroxine for sissy will increase or decrease her insulin needs?????
I start her thyroid tomarrow
Hi Jackie,

As Holli said, her insulin requirements will probably go down. Before Lily was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, her BG levels were in the 500's and she was up to 28 units of Novolin N. After a few days on thyroxine, her BG started to drop to acceptable levels and settled down to 18 units.

Mike
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine