Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Margaret and Lucy

Soaphie had the same issue for a number of years. In fact, they even did surgery on her vulva area several years back to pull back the skin folds. The irritation kept happening and we finally determined it was a food allergy. Finally nailed that down and it is all cleared up.

Good luck!

Tami & Soapher
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

I think you'd mentioned that before Tami and I'd forgotten it. I didn't realize she'd had surgery though. What was she allergic to?

I had a vet tell me once "ears and rear" problems often indicate food allergies.

-P
Old 01-27-2010, 05:05 AM

well - she is allergic to alot of things....one of the main ones being barley (which alot of dog food contains). Green pea is another item (so no green beans for her - basically all "green" veggies).

She is now on duck and rice Wellness dog food and it works well for her.
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaphie's Mom View Post
Soaphie had the same issue for a number of years. In fact, they even did surgery on her vulva area several years back to pull back the skin folds. The irritation kept happening and we finally determined it was a food allergy. Finally nailed that down and it is all cleared up.

Good luck!

Tami & Soapher
Tami,

I don't think it is a food allergy as she has had this since she was first dx
2 years ago.

When she was in the vet hospital for 4 days at the beginning, they had her in for all various tests, one of her kidneys, pancreas, and her vulva.
They did say she had an intact hymen and a thickening inside that was causing her urine too pool a bit.

I asked if they could do surgery on this, and they said no as the thickening
would not get any worse, so I feel this adds to her UTI's and Vaginitis.

Her vulva is quite closed and has little creases inside. She also has a thick black hair that grows out from the centre of her vulva, which I have to trim every so often. (LOL what a subject).

I wish I could show you the letter Tami as it explains it a lot better.
They said she was born like this.

I think this is something we are going to have to live with.

Thanks for the info though.

Hugs to you and Sophie

Marg

Last edited by Margaret Boyle; 01-27-2010 at 06:19 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 01-27-2010, 11:06 AM

Good luck with "it"! lol!

We, too, have to keep Soaphie's hair trimmed "down there"....you are right - what a subject!!!! hahahaha! Such a process.

Poor dogs - if only they knew we discussed their "privates". Funny.

T
Old 01-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Boyle View Post
Tami,

Her vulva is quite closed and has little creases inside. She also has a thick black hair that grows out from the centre of her vulva, which I have to trim every so often. (LOL what a subject).

Marg
LOL Marg, you should see me with my little light on my head which I use to test and give injections, plus when I clean Niki's pp and trim her hair around there, I really think it makes a big differene as far as UTI's go. With having the longer hair I think it helps create the UTI's with my Niki anyway, thanks I needed a laugh today.

Dolly
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 02-06-2010, 05:08 AM

Hi all you lovely people,

I have not been posting a lot but I keep up with all the posts.

I am having some problems with Lucy also some family issues (health wise)

So if I am Not posting a lot all I want too say is, good luck to each and everyone of you.

You are all doing fantastic with your fur babies.

Everyone is such a help to one another it is truly a great forum.

I will post now and again as I am not experienced enough to answer a lot of the questions, but by reading the posts I gain more knowledge.

Hugs to you all.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:53 AM

Arrow Re: Margaret and Lucy

Marg,

I've followed your thread throughout, and haven't said anything to speak of, since I haven't had anything to offer! But I'm always rooting for you and Lucy; you have certainly had ups and downs. Kumbi and I have had things easier than you've had.

But I agree with you about this forum. It is the BEST of the numbers of forums on diabetes I've been on, for a number of reasons. And it takes wild horses to drag ME to an online forum, as I'm on dial-up, and also, I like to save mail to refer to later; here, I don't usually have to do that.

It's Natalie's combination of dedication, responsibility (one of the most responsible people I've ever seen, when making suggestions), and ORGANIZATION of the forum - that makes it so educational for anyone who has a diabetic dog.

We certainly run the gamut here in variety - dogs of many sizes and ages, on different insulins, some now having to change from Vetsulin to NPH insulins, some with other conditions, such as Cushings, or, like Natalie's Chris, heart disease.

It takes a lot of time and study to manage a diabetic dog really well, to be a team-mate with your vet - to be a medical advocate for your dog. This forum really helps us gather the information that gives us a leg-up when things are difficult.

I haven't before met the combination of skills, knowledge and responsibility I find in Natalie, and on this forum with its participants, along with the organization that enhances our learnings.

Sat, 6 Feb 2010 05:52:24 (PST)
Old 02-06-2010, 08:03 AM

Carol,

Just to say I know you always followed our thread and you were rooting for Lucy and me

You were one of the very first people to welcome us, and I appreciated that.

You always gave us your support and kind words, you can answer a lot more questions than me Carol.

I am not good with the balancing of the food and insulin, but I am learning
Lucy has certainly been a challenge for me, but I will never give up until I get her at a reasonable range (not perfection).

I think the food has a lot to do with it and also her infections.
I know if I can get her in a good range it will probably help the UTI's.

I think Natalie is going to help me to try and get her regulated a bit better.

As you know Schnauzers are known for being hard to regulate, that is her 2 years past at Christmas since being diagnosed and she is still with us.

The High Oats has given her a lovely coat and she has maintained her weight, but the high fibre is taking up all the insulin and come afternoon she drops, so this is where adjustments will have to be made.
I did phone Burns and they said about splitting her meals into smaller ones about 3 during the day, this is what they advise.

I will wait until Natalie can help with it all. I get so frustrated as she does get good numbers some days.

OMG I have written a book again Carol

Yes I totally agree it is a great forum.

Thanks for your Post

Hugs to you and Kumbi

Marg

Last edited by Margaret Boyle; 02-06-2010 at 08:06 AM. Reason: addition
Old 02-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Marg,
I take it moving some food from evening to morning didn't work out well
Patty