Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Patty's Ali

Humulin N. She's never been on Novolin before. I'm still stocking up on her insulin whenever I see my mom as it's cheaper that way. I've had a couple of bottles from Walmart (or Kmart back in NY) in between when I run out.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Administrator

I have to tell you... I am starting to wonder if there is a problem brewing with Humulin N. It used to be entirely interchangeable with Novolin a few years ago but I'm seeing so many reports of people having trouble with the Relion switch. There could be something up with the manufacture of it.

And if they cut a deal to sell it even more cheaply through Walmart, there's the potential for even laxer standards because it's not making them any money.

Maybe not a very likely scenario. But there were times back in 2005 when a lot of people were reporting problems with Caninsulin - once it was Vetsulin with multiple dogs abruptly going off regulation and once it was Caninsulin and the dogs were in the UK and Canada. We saw half a dozen dogs just associated with the forum who suddenly were having regulation problems after long periods, especially with Caninsulin users who had been using it for years, of good regulation. With the alert and problems they are having now... stranger things have happened.

Natalie
Old 04-04-2011, 06:31 PM

Hmm...I was definitely amazed at the difference Pat saw with Taylor.

If this continues, maybe I need to consider seeing if a bottle of Novolin makes any difference.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:56 PM

Well, Saturday Ali started showing signs her vaginitis infection is returning. Whether this a result of the higher blood sugar or has been brewing for a while and caused the the extremes we're seeing, I don't know. Sort of like the chicken and the egg concept.

Doc wants to try her on Cipro. We'll start tomorrow and have enough for 15 days. Hoping this makes a difference.

Patty
Old 04-12-2011, 12:37 AM

Arrow Re: Patty's Ali

NOw that Camellia's and my magic wands have had their insulin, I hope our waving them will make a difference for Ali and you!

Tue, 12 Apr 2011 00:36:43 (PDT)
Old 04-13-2011, 06:32 AM

Pat, I see our girl Allie is throwing you another curve.

Just keeping you on your toes mommy

Keeping my fingers crossed and hope the infection clears up quickly.

Louise
Old 04-18-2011, 06:17 AM

Patty

How's our girl Ali doing after one week on antibiotics?

Louise
Old 04-18-2011, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Also checking in on how Ali is doing today.

Natalie
Old 04-18-2011, 10:11 AM

Thanks for checking on us.

After I started seeing signs of an infection on Saturday, we had two really bad days with it and then the Cipro has kicked in and she's looking in the clear. She also got a bath yesterday and it was beautiful outside which always makes her feel spunky.

Saturday night she got a lovely 16 point rise in hour 1 from her meal. Yesterday morning she woke up to 130s and last night she actually got quite a drop in bg in hour 1 after her injection. This morning 84 point rise, but likely that was from adding a bit more food to combat the drop last night. So, I think she's due for an insulin decrease.

So glad she's not rising 150 + points anymore. Hoping it continues.

I've been talking to Natalie about needing to get to the underlying issue causing the recurrent infections though. I'm putting together some thoughts and want to talk to my vet about it.

Patty
Old 04-18-2011, 04:56 PM

Hi Patty

Good to hear your girl is on the mend.

Louise