My best Pal, Coke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My best Pal, Coke

My dog has a bowl type curve, so I generally try to walk when his numbers would be higher, that being a 1 - 2 hours after breakfast (depending on his fasting number), and a couple hours before dinner, around 4 - 4:30. I try to lower his post-prandial and flatten his curve and give him a good fasting number at supper.
    I spot check to see if his nadir is still safe, and an hour before supper to make sure he's not low. Sometimes I'll give him 2 or 3 little Medi Treat biscuits at nadir time or just before or after his afternoon walk, around 4:00.
    Knowing walks burn sugar, why not walk when sugar is typically high in the 12 hour period.
    Last edited by Raysaint; 08-29-2017, 06:55 PM.
    Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Raysaint View Post
      My dog has a bowl type curve, so I generally try to walk when his numbers would be higher, that being a 1 - 2 hours after breakfast (depending on his fasting number), and a couple hours before dinner, around 4 - 4:30. I try to lower his post-prandial and flatten his curve and give him a good fasting number at supper.
      I spot check to see if his nadir is still safe, and an hour before supper to make sure he's not low. Sometimes I'll give him 2 or 3 little Medi Treat biscuits at nadir time or just before or after his afternoon walk, around 4:00.
      Knowing walks burn sugar, why not walk when sugar is typically high in the 12 hour period.
      Copy That Raysaint The problem I still have is she's not regulated and her #'s are staying mid 300's I took her for a brisk 20 min walk this morning and her outta bed fast # was 413 (ouch) upon returning from the walk her # went to 339 (better) she gets her breakfast at 5am so I'll check her again around 8am
      Going in for last last 2 week checkup this morning at 9am so I'll start the increased dosing until I start to get better #'s before I take her back in again unless I have to
      Thanks Buddy
      Rick
      My Pal of 12 years 83.5 lbs Spayed Lab Mix Coco (Coke) Diagnosed 7/24/17--22 units (Relion)Novolin N twice a day.Feeding 1cup Whole Earth (grain free) Kibble/ 7oz's Vital Beef/BisonRaw/ 1 cube pumpkin and 1 cube black bean 2 X day

Comment

Hi Group Me again with another question which is-----------
        my Wifey went to the Vet today with the cat and The Vet gave Her a prescription for us to get Hill's Prescription Diet w/d Hmmm which kind I see there are different types maybe the (Hill's Prescription Diet w/d Digestive/Weight/Glucose Management with Chicken Canned Dog Food ?) She wants us to give it to Coke in moderation mixed with Her other Food She told us that We can use a mix with other food permanently or just for a while to see what the fiber and glucose management part of it will achieve What we don't want is any kind of weight reduction at all since Coke has been maintaining a steady weight of 83 lbs and we wouldn't mind seeing Her put ON a couple more pounds as regulation gets better SO--------
        What is the general opinion of this food for those of You that have used it ?
        Does it pull Too much weight off ?
        Is the Glucose management accomplished by the fiber content or is there something in the food that helps with the management ?
        Backing up here a bit the Vet didn't say exactly which WD to give Her I'm assuming since she said she doesn't want Coke to lose any weight is why she wants us to mix it I'm confused
        I put a call into the Vet to see what She says about what kind I'm figuring she doesn't have a specific WD in mind as last week she mentioned she would like to see us get a little more fiber in Coke's diet but didn't mention which WD
        Is there a WD that just does the Fiber increase without the Glucose management ?
        Dogg
        My Pal of 12 years 83.5 lbs Spayed Lab Mix Coco (Coke) Diagnosed 7/24/17--22 units (Relion)Novolin N twice a day.Feeding 1cup Whole Earth (grain free) Kibble/ 7oz's Vital Beef/BisonRaw/ 1 cube pumpkin and 1 cube black bean 2 X day

Comment

Well...I got a case of the W/D chicken stew that was refused..Then the pate chicken..refused..I would have given it to all of my dogs; 4 are overweight though and we want them to lose weight. We are now making our own dog food
          Last edited by bichons9; 09-02-2017, 09:44 AM. Reason: wanted to delete
          Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.
          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wD4/edit#gid=0

Comment

My vet, like most, always want you to feed them the "prescription" food, because of its fibre/protein/fat content percentages. I researched a few canned foods that had numbers close to the W/D food, mainly in the fat and fibre content. Plus I liked the overall ingredients better. My vet was OK with it, what could she say.
            While both soluble and insoluble fibres are needed, studies have shown insoluble fibre to be a more important fibre for diabetes. So I cook up some organic brown rice, freeze ziploc bowls of it and keep a bowl thawed in the fridge and add a couple tablespoons to his breakfast. Brown rice is a good source of insoluble fibre.
            Gives him more fibre and a bit more slow release carbs, and matches or surpasses the W/D content.
            I believe you can add fiber or carbs or whatever, with your own healthy ingredients. I don't need a company to do it for me.
            Find a food with a good base of ingredients and content, and add from there.
            Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

My vet, like most, always want you to feed them the "prescription" food, because of its fibre/protein/fat content percentages. I researched a few canned foods that had numbers close to the W/D food, mainly in the fat and fibre content. Plus I liked the overall ingredients better. My vet was OK with it, what could she say.
              While both soluble and insoluble fibres are needed, studies have shown insoluble fibre to be a more important fibre for diabetes. So I cook up some organic brown rice, freeze ziploc bowls of it and keep a bowl thawed in the fridge and add a couple tablespoons to his breakfast. Brown rice is a good source of insoluble fibre.
              Gives him more fibre and a bit more slow release carbs, and matches or surpasses the W/D content.
              I believe you can add fiber or carbs or whatever, with your own healthy ingredients. I don't need a company to do it for me.
              Find a food with a good base of ingredients and content, and add from there.

+1

For awhile I added black beans for fiber and protein. I would cook up ½ bag of black beans and fill two plastic ice cube trays (tiny amount of water along with the beans to help them freeze together). Then, I'd pop out a "bean cube" to add to each meal. The procedure was to plop the bean cube into her ceramic food bowl and thaw in the microwave for about 10 seconds, then mix in her dog food. Canned black beans would be OK, but rinse well to remove the added salt.

I think she thought she was getting something special because it came out of the microwave! She would do her "happy food dance" in front of the microwave and go berserk when the microwave would ding!

Craig
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                +1

For awhile I added black beans for fiber and protein. I would cook up ½ bag of black beans and fill two plastic ice cube trays (tiny amount of water along with the beans to help them freeze together). Then, I'd pop out a "bean cube" to add to each meal. The procedure was to plop the bean cube into her ceramic food bowl and thaw in the microwave for about 10 seconds, then mix in her dog food. Canned black beans would be OK, but rinse well to remove the added salt.

I think she thought she was getting something special because it came out of the microwave! She would do her "happy food dance" in front of the microwave and go berserk when the microwave would ding!

Craig
                actually craig gave me this same idea for jesse but i used pinto beans . i replaced some of her beef heart with pinto beans as an alternative protein source and we have been using it for while . the reason for the switch is because she had anal sak problems and this really firmed up her pooh so she expressed her gland much better with no further problems
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hi Group Question on exercise
                  I changed our exercise routine as to stay away from anything in the hrs of after the shot until at least 2 hours before the next meal/shot but as we are working on slowly upping the Insulin every 5 to 7 days I noticed with EVERY increase in the dose (even 1/2 units) that for 3 to 4 days she stays in the 300's with an occasional 400 until the the 4th to 6th day then she regulates to a consistent mid to low 300's with a nice wave type curve generally over a 12 hr check --say at 4:30 pm after the morning walk she will go down to 190 and then 2 hrs after the morning meal she starts in the high 200's and slowly keeps getting higher until We go for the afternoon walk which generally brings it back down to real close to the Morning low after the walk.
                  Usually she runs right around 340-370 before the walks so what I'm wondering is when I increase her dose can We go on a MINI walk say 15 houses down and back to try to keep her lower during the days that she's getting accustomed to the new dose ?
                  I just upped her this morning a 1/2 unit (16 1/2 total) and already she's jacked up to 377 which is where it seems to go with every increase.
                  Thanks
                  Dogg

Comment

there is a member ( jim spirits dad ) who used exercise to stabilize blood sugar for his dog. he was a newfie on a lower dose of insulin probably do to a slow metabolism which is seen in the breed

i have used that method for jesse early in her diagnosis to just lower blood sugar and it did but usually it was very short lived she could drop 200 points or more

there are pros and cons . the pros you temporarily lower blood sugar and the dog gets a bit more fun and exercise . the cons it could affect regulation because you may loose consistency

i think if you keep it consistent same time and same amount and sugar doesnt drop dramatically your probably ok to give it a go
                    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                      there is a member ( jim spirits dad ) who used exercise to stabilize blood sugar for his dog. he was a newfie on a lower dose of insulin probably do to a slow metabolism which is seen in the breed

i have used that method for jesse early in her diagnosis to just lower blood sugar and it did but usually it was very short lived she could drop 200 points or more

there are pros and cons . the pros you temporarily lower blood sugar and the dog gets a bit more fun and exercise . the cons it could affect regulation because you may loose consistency

i think if you keep it consistent same time and same amount and sugar doesnt drop dramatically your probably ok to give it a go
                      Thank You jessie girl
                      That's kind of what I was wondering if it might mess around with the regulation process or not I just fell so helpless watching her go from feeling a little better to crappy again with just a tiny bit more insulin
                      I most likely will be going to work on a Movie a little south of the house for 3 to 4 weeks and will only get home 1 day a week so My Wifey is going to manage Her without me for the Time. Thank God Her schedule allows it to be possible
                      Thank You
                      Dogg

Comment

I agree that exercise should not be used to regulate because walks can be inconsistent and have varying affects. Regulate based on insulin.
                        A walk is just something every dog needs, but with diabetics you just have to be wary of timing within the dog's curve. Walking at the right time shouldn't make the dog go hypo.
                        Spot Check blood sugar after some walks. Remember exercise metabolism keeps going after exercise, so there can be a slight sugar lowering effect for 10-15 minutes after exercise stops. That's when I check my dog.

When you first increase the insulin dose, I think it's normal for the first 2 or 3 days to be a little different than the followings days. Happens with my dog, and that's why we give it a week before curving and adjusting.

Comment

I agree that exercise should not be used to regulate because walks can be inconsistent and have varying affects. Regulate based on insulin.
                          A walk is just something every dog needs, but with diabetics you just have to be wary of timing within the dog's curve. Walking at the right time shouldn't make the dog go hypo.
                          Spot Check blood sugar after some walks. Remember exercise metabolism keeps going after exercise, so there can be a slight sugar lowering effect for 10-15 minutes after exercise stops. That's when I check my dog.

When you first increase the insulin dose, I think it's normal for the first 2 or 3 days to be a little different than the followings days. Happens with my dog, and that's why we give it a week before curving and adjusting.
                          Hi Raysaint
                          I'm on the same page now because it seems every little increase in Coke's insulin seems to effect her for up to 5 days and I figure I should let her get used to it for at least a couple more days or longer
                          The longer We go with treatment is showing different signs in her behavior and energy levels. I am getting pretty good at at looking at her and knowing how she's feeling
                          We're not even close to regulation but with every little advancement I see improvement in the moments when she is feeling halfway decent and when she feels crappy it seems more pronounced than before or maybe I'm thinking into it a little harder than before because I'm with her all day seeing whats going on with her attitude and energy levels
                          I believe I'm gonna go easy with the exercise for a bit until she get regulated with lower numbers
                          Thanks
                          Dogg

Comment

When you say " feeling crappy" what are you seeing to indicate this? I know with myself, I was so sensitive to, and probably over-interpreted his, behaviour, I probably read things into it that wasn't real. My vet told me to relax.
                            Dogs may feel a little lethargic if their sugar is high, like humans, but that's normal.
                            And if her sugar is still in the mid range, not sure why you'd go easy on exercise, unless she's refusing. Moderate exercise is usually OK for any dog, especially if it helps lower high sugars a bit.

Comment

When you say " feeling crappy" what are you seeing to indicate this? I know with myself, I was so sensitive to, and probably over-interpreted his, behaviour, I probably read things into it that wasn't real. My vet told me to relax.
                              Dogs may feel a little lethargic if their sugar is high, like humans, but that's normal.
                              And if her sugar is still in the mid range, not sure why you'd go easy on exercise, unless she's refusing. Moderate exercise is usually OK for any dog, especially if it helps lower high sugars a bit.
                              Hi Raysaint
                              I guess it is seeing her being a little lethargic after eating and when I try to get her going for the 4am walk .Usually when I grab her collar off the hook to put it on her she will put her head thru it (we leave it loose too slip on) before I even get it to waist level . Nowadays it takes her a minute to want to go for the walk Once we hit the door she's super cool about going. Just seems like she isn't up to it a lot of the time but she goes. We only take a couple of short walks
                              So I guess it is the Lethargy making me think she's feeling crappy
                              I guess I'm easing into the exercise thinking she's a cripple and I realize that's not the case at all I'm just worried I might let her run a little too hard and hurt her
                              Your Vet is right about the easing up I need to learn that myself
                              Thanks Again
                              Dogg

Comment

Diabetes can certainly change their energy and excitement levels, and make it sporadic.
                                Before diagnosis, my dog would be up for a walk 10 times a day if I offered.After diagnosis, there were times I couldn't get him out once a day, sometimes once, rarely twice. I never forced the issue.
                                That has slowly phased out and now he can't wait for his morning walk, then a 4 p.m. walk, and evening walk now and then if I'm in the mood.

Just like regulation, everything takes time to normalize with this disease.

Comment

Working...
                                X