No announcement yet.

mid day injections??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: help finding someone to care for Alex while Im away???

What area do you live in?
    Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Morning, Im in Massachusetts almost on the Cape

Comment

We're in the UK so it might not be very relevant but the only option we use is having a petsitter come here and live in while we are away.

It works for us because then we can make sure we have someone competent to deal with insulin and we also have quite a few other animals who need to be fed etc. Not the cheapest option but gives peace of mind and keeps all the animals in their usual routine so is the least disruptive.
        Antonia
        Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Thats a great idea, Ive called a couple of people that do pet sitting but no one has any experience with diabetic dogs. Its not something I need immediately but I want to be prepared. Thanks for your reply

Comment

Vet techs are a good resource. They usually don't make much money so many are looking for extra cash - we have several who pet sit in my area.
            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Great idea, thank you. I can call local vets to see if they have any techs that pet sit or can make house calls at least.

Comment

We actually did have a vet-tech, that previously worked for our vet, stay with Vinny when we decided to take a trip. I will say, I was a nervous wreck and checked in daily, but things went well and since our vet knew her, I felt a bit better leaving him.

We found out about her by calling our vet. Good luck!
                Mel
                Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

if the vet tech thing falls through I would ask the vets office if there are any other diabetic dog owners you could network with.

Also, my hairdresser, who has a diabetic grand pup, taught one of the local pet sitters how to give insulin, he came over for several days before she left.

He thought it could increase his business to learn.

Just some other ideas. good luck!
                  Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Have you found anyone yet? I'm on the Cape and found a great lady in the Falmouth area who has helped me before. I don't know how far she travels but she might be able to refer you to someone.

Comment

Thanks for your replies! Im about 20 miles before the bridge to the cape so it would probably be a hike from Falmouth. Glad you found such a great resource. I will contact my local vets and ask them about techs and other owners dealing with the same problems. Thanks everyone again, greatly appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Judi View Post
                        if the vet tech thing falls through I would ask the vets office if there are any other diabetic dog owners you could network with.

Also, my hairdresser, who has a diabetic grand pup, taught one of the local pet sitters how to give insulin, he came over for several days before she left.

He thought it could increase his business to learn.

Just some other ideas. good luck!
                        That is actually what I did. I had a pet sitter that would come in provide shots (I taught her) and I had the food already in baggies with exact measurements.

I also had some neighbors that would watch her, but they only observed, and knew enough not to give treats. They also observed to be sure that the Pet Sitter came on time... added bonus.

All in and all I was pretty lucky to have both.

Barb
                        Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

mid day injections??

Hello, I have just recently switched my dog from Prozinc to Vetsulin and Im finding a big difference in the curve. He starts out high and ends high but his low point is in a good range where I dont have a lot of room to adjust his insulin to lower the end of day numbers. I was just wondering if anyone has ever given just a little bit, maybe half a unit, in the middle of the day when the numbers are on the way up to help reduce the high end of the day?? Right now he is getting 3.75 units twice a day. Thanks a bunch.

Comment

Re: mid day injections??

Do you have a recent curve that you can post? Also... how much does he weigh and what kind of food is he eating?
                            Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                            Diabetes: Aug 2013
                            Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                            Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

The reason Mike is probably asking about your pups meals is that higher fiber diets are thought to “flatten” the glucose curve. Many of the foods listed as “healthy weight” are higher fiber. The minor problem with higher fiber foods is that you may have to feed larger portions to maintain, or gain, weight. Diet modification seems better than adding injections, or mid day meals.

Craig
                              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMurphy View Post
                                Do you have a recent curve that you can post? Also... how much does he weigh and what kind of food is he eating?
                                Hi...Ill be doing a curve this weekend... He has only been on this type of insulin for a few days so not sure yet what his correct dosage will be. He has been diabetic for 3 yrs though and weights 15 lbs which Im happy with because it took quite awhile to get him to put on a lb or two at the beginning. He gets Orijen 6 Fish.

Comment

Working...
                                X