Cooper - Three years diabetic April 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cooper - Three years diabetic April 2015

Hello everyone, as we approach Coopers 4 year sugarversary, she Has not been doing well the last 2 weeks. She's not eating well (sometimes not at all), her back leg is really bothering her and she is lethargic. I've even noticed her shaking. We went to the vet Monday. We have tramodol up to 3 times a day and cerenia for 4 days. I thought she was perking up yesterday and this morning but tonight was bad. I almost took her to the emergency vet. Her urine test came back negative for bacteria but there was elevated protein. The vet said if she's not better by tomorrow we need to go back in for blood work. Her kidneys may not be working the way they should. I'm so sad... is there something i could be missing? Anything we should test for and/or do? Thank you

Mary

Comment

did they rule out pancreatitis? give her a hug from me
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

hope they can figure this out soon

cooper has been a challange but you guys always seem to find a way

good vibrations to cooper
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hoping you and Cooper get a resolution to this.
          Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

If blood results show renal problems, the best thing you can do is buy AZODYL, it almost instantly makes them feel better, and gets them eating again. Used that for one little pug, and she went from not eating and feeling just plain awful, within days to seemingly normal again. It actually does nothing for the kidneys, but helps rid the body of BUN and thus just makes them feel like new. We got to love her for nearly another year by using Azodyl. It is not prescription, we found the best price at 1800 petmeds.

You can look up the diet, cant remember it all off hand, but eliminate red meat etc. If you find the blood indicates that, let me know and I will go back into all the research I did at the time, and what would work for kidney and diabetic.

Comment

on my way in to work I heard that there is a flu going around that has affected 2,000 dogs in the US. could it be this flu?
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I hadn't heard about the flu.
                It does seem like pancreatitis but she usually gets over it faster than this Or at least looks better...We should have the blood results back tomorrow... Hopefully we will have some answers. I will make sure to look into that medication if it is her kidneys. I hate to see her not feeling well. I will update when I have more info....

Comment

Just heard from the vet. Blood work came back. Kidneys look fine. In fact most everything looked better than her last blood work.. But she said it does look like a flare up of her pancreatitis. I am supposed to keep her off cerenia today and see how she does. She did eat a little this morning which was encouraging.

Comment

good news

i might not force feed and just let cooper tell you what he can eat and adjust the dose accordingly
                    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

• Re: Cooper - Crossed over the rainbow bridge

Hello everyone, It has been such a long time since I posted but I have checked in from time to time to see how everyone was doing. After 5 1/2 years with diabetes, we lost our beautiful Cooper on December 14th. She was a tough girl to the very end - all 9 pounds of her! She had been doing well until September and then seemed to have one health issue after another. My only regret is that I wasn't able to take her to the vet on that last day. I had always promised her that she and I would see this through together but I had to be in the hospital with my elderly Mom that day and Cooper was too sick to wait for me. She was surrounded by love from my husband and daughter. Looking back now, I think maybe that is how she wanted it.

Sorry to be rambling.....

I want to thank everyone on the forum for being so much help to me - especially when Cooper was first diagnosed. I would check in here before checking with my vet when I had questions. Without all of you, I'm sure we would not have had Cooper with us for so long after her diagnosis. Thank you all again

Comment

cooper had a long diabetic life . your love for him always showed through your posts

i am also in that position with and elderly mother and jesse who is not a spring chicken . i do think cooper took the decision out of your hands on what to do

Comment

Aw RIP sweet Cooper. I’m sorry your mom’s health is failing. Judi

Comment

Thank you for your kind thoughts The house certainly isn't the same without her

Comment

So sorry to hear you lost your Cooper. You sure took great care of her, which I'm sure she knows.

You & yours have my deepest condolences, and Godspeed to your good girl Cooper.
                              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Working...
                              X