Margaret and James' Wee Lucy - July 4, 2001 - May 6, 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Member Margaret and Lucy

I know a few small dogs who need a lot of insulin. Judy's Bud, who just passed away, weighed 24-25 pounds and used 21 units of NPH insulin! So nearly 1 unit per pound. But his blood sugar was beautiful on that, in the 100s - 5-10 your system.

So sometimes they just need a lot of insulin to get good regulation.

It also may take some time to break down insulin resistance that comes simply from having such high blood sugar for a long time. They can go sometimes for weeks at a high dose of insulin before the break that resistance and abruptly need less to maintain good blood sugar.

I'm glad they've moved Lucy to Caninsulin - that's a good place to start as the beef insulin often does not work well for dogs.

We mostly used regular human blood glucose meters. You will see in my video of Chris that I used a OneTouch Ultra, which is a good meter for dogs. Bought the test strips online, which made them a lot cheaper as well. Last time I bought some here they were about $0.78 each. The meter is a little pricier - often you can buy them here on sale or with a rebate, especially on the newer models that they are promoting. Over time, it's really the test strips that are the larger cost since the meter is a one-time purchase.

You can save a fortune doing the curves at home with your own meter and save Lucy the stress of going to the vet for one.

Natalie

Comment

Hi Margaret and Lucy!
      This is a great and caring place to find answers.

Unfortunately, my Ali also has a history of UTIs. Is Lucy currently UTI free? Ali had 3 different organisms over the course of 3 months. Seemed to take forever to clear but I couldn't begin to regulate her until they were gone. Her blood sugar was all over the place and mostly high. Just wondered if she is currently infection free.

Like Natalie, I also have a OneTouch. Mine is an UltraSmart meter but I recently picked up a Mini. They sell for $18 at our Wal-Mart stores here and it has been within 3-6 points from my other meter. I get my strips new in box from ebay (just watch expiration dates) if you decide to look into meters.

Patty
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret Boyle View Post
        Hi Marion and Cara,
        Thanks for the welcome for what I have read so far it sounds like a caring
        Forum I see your dog is on vetsulin is she regulated? What weight is she
        does she keep well?
        Yes, she is on Cansinsulin/Vetsulin. Has been since the beginning. I had her more or less regulated. But after cataract surgery in January we had to start over again, because of all the meds she had to take. Those are all but gone now, only some pred.eyedrops that are still causing some high readings. So hopefully we might hit that regulation shortly!
        For now I am just glad she can see again and that she is happy and otherwise healthy!
        She has gained her weight back is is now between 48/49 lbs.

So hang in there, you will get there too!
        Marion

Comment

Thanks Natalie,
          If I could even get Lucy down to 10-12 I would be quite happy as she has always been high.I phone the vet tomorrow as I said she was good up to Weds then she has risen again I cannot understand why she has not had ketones (which I am glad of).
          Yes I agree with you Natalie it would prevent less stress for Lucy.if I done blood testing
          on Lucy and cut down a bit on the expense. As you know Natalie our vets are not as keen as your vets are, but this will not stop me Hendry and me have spoken about it.
          I can get the Alpha Track here I have got a website for it the strips are the most expensive.
          Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Hi Margaret, I have an AlphaTrak too. Find it too expensive! Use the OneTouchUltra II (human meter). Testing strips are half the price. If I were you I would start with a human meter. Check with your pharmacy, often you can get the meter free if you buy 100 test strips.
            Just my thoughts!
            Marion

Comment

Hi Patti and Ali,
              Sorry to hear that Ali has UTI's as well.Lucy had a urine culture done 3 weeks ago
              and it was clear she has been having a wee fly lick again so I have my doubts. I give her Cranberry powder twice a day and I must admit it does help ( it is supposed to prevent bacteria from sticking to the bladder wall) When Lucy takes a UTI there is only one thing that will clear it and that is Gentamicin injections for 7 days.
              Baytril or anything else does not touch it. We have been there so many times and I am hoping it is not another infection. The vet lets me do the injections myself which I dont like as it is a lot larger needle and syringe but it clears it up but she is such a tolerant wee dog. I just take one day at a time now and I do not get stressed as it would project on to Lucy.

Thanks for your post Patti

Comment

Hi Margaret and Lucy,

Just wanted to welcome you to the board. Best place to be. Hugs to the two of you.

Luv,
                Lynne and Lady
                Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

Hi Marion,
                  I would buya human meter but I do not know if I would be able to buy this in the UK
                  What is the difference in readings Marion I have heard of another one that I can buy from Boots the chemists I have marked the name of it down I cannot remember off hand
                  what it was called. I have marked the name of yours down thanks again.

Comment

Margaret,
                    One more question about the UTIs. What type of bacteria(s) was cultured before?

I ask because I am currently corresponding with someone else who has an extensive history of UTIs with her pugs. She has cut her rate of infection dramatically with a few changes so I've been picking her brain

Good news on her recent culture!
                    Patty
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hi Lynn and Lady,
                      Thanks for the welcome I have received some lovely posts
                      Love to you both

Comment

Hi Patty,
                        I do not know what it was but it is mainly found in horses
                        but I will try and find out for you.

Comment

Margaret,
                          This is the website for Lifescan (in UK), maker of OneTouchUltra:
                          www.lifescan.co.uk
                          Marion

Comment

Margaret,

Here is the same OneTouch Ultra II Marion uses--but this is from LifeScan's UK website:

http://www.lifescan.co.uk/OurProduct...uchUltra2.aspx

As Marion said, the AlphaTrak meter and strips are expensive--both cost considerably more than a meter and strips for people.

Boots or any pharmacy should be able to help you get hold of one of these.

Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by We Hope View Post
                              Margaret,

Here is the same OneTouch Ultra II Marion uses--but this is from LifeScan's UK website:

http://www.lifescan.co.uk/OurProduct...uchUltra2.aspx

As Marion said, the AlphaTrak meter and strips are expensive--both cost considerably more than a meter and strips for people.

Boots or any pharmacy should be able to help you get hold of one of these.

Kathy
                              Thanks Kathy will look this up

Comment

Originally posted by Cara's Mom View Post
                                Margaret,
                                This is the website for Lifescan (in UK), maker of OneTouchUltra:
                                www.lifescan.co.uk
                                Thanks Marion

Comment

Working...
                                X