Team Dexter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team Dexter

Just a quick thank you that this forum exists. I stumbled upon it on day three of my little man's new reality with diabetes, and it immediately walked me back from the ledge (figuratively). I am 100% committed to getting this right, but having a resource like this is AMAZING, and is going to improve our odds of success immeasurably. Maybe I'm lucky, but I've never experienced anything so challenging and emotionally draining in my entire life. So, thank you.

Re: Thank you

Originally posted by TeamDexter View Post
    Just a quick thank you that this forum exists. I stumbled upon it on day three of my little man's new reality with diabetes, and it immediately walked me back from the ledge (figuratively). I am 100% committed to getting this right, but having a resource like this is AMAZING, and is going to improve our odds of success immeasurably. Maybe I'm lucky, but I've never experienced anything so challenging and emotionally draining in my entire life. So, thank you.
    Welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit more about Dexter(?) Breed, weight, type of insulin, food being fed, any other medical conditions, really anything you want to share. We like to get to know "our" pups

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

it immediately walked me back from the ledge (figuratively). I am 100% committed to getting this right, but having a resource like this is AMAZING, and is going to improve our odds of success immeasurably.

This perfectly describes how I have been feeling. You are not alone !

Good luck!!!

Comment

Hi Craig,

Dexter is an 8-9 year old MinPin, large (15.5 pounds fighting weight). Insulin is Novolin (which says "human insulin," but presumably they really mean "mammal insulin"). Moving to diabetic food.

More than anything, they say "there is no known cause of canine diabetes." However in my reading it is strongly suggested that a lack of exercise is a good way to get there. When I think about the fact that I may have caused this, I want to vomit. It is like I betrayed him... If that is indeed the case, I've got to get my **** together, and I will.

Comment

MinPins, and a few other breeds are more prone to diabetes so I wouldn't beat yourself up. Guess the important thing for us is to just move ahead and do the best we can with this disease. What dosage are you on?

Are you getting your Novolin-N at Walmart for $25?

Craig
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

You didn't cause this. They really don't know what causes canine diabetes, but lack of exercise has NOT been shown to be a cause. They are leaning more towards genetics and trauma - I believe one of our moderator's dogs developed diabetes after a snake bite. Chronic pancreatitis could also be a cause. Whatever the case, please stop blaming yourself. I very strongly feel that you did nothing to bring this on.
            Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Remember, just because there's an article on the internet, doesn't mean it has scientific validity. I haven't seen a single, well controlled study that points toward lack of exercise as a cause of diabetes in dogs.
              Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Craig, ??? No I'm getting Novolin for what I was projecting to be like $200/month. Are you saying it should be almost free? Money is no object, but I also don't want to overpay...

Comment

Craig, ??? No I'm getting Novolin for what I was projecting to be like $200/month. Are you saying it should be almost free? Money is no object, but I also don't want to overpay...
                  Yep, Walmart has a contract to sell Novolin-N for just under $25/vial. Syringes are very low cost there also.

Craig

Comment

It looks like I just made $175/month. Thank you, sir. I'm at the point that I don't ask questions when I can do something to my dog's benefit. But maybe I should stop panicking and do a little more research...

Comment

Hi - I haven't had a chance to say anything yet but I just wanted to reassure you that you didn't cause diabetes. Many people equate dog diabetes with human diabetes and it is not the same. Many dogs develop diabetes because of a genetic component, others have some trauma that damages the pancreas or causes severe pancreatitis, and use of steroids seems to be a pretty strong link. The only time diet can really contribute is if a dog eats fatty table food, develops pancreatitis and the pancreas just fails. Even then, it is still a difficult connection to make. Lack of exercise has nothing to do with it. Genetics has a role - we seem to see particular breeds more often than others - schnauzers, min pins, poodles, bichons, just to name a few. So, I wouldn't waste one minute longer thinking it is your fault. Focus on managing it - Dexter can have a relatively normal life with a bit more structure than before

My dog was bitten by a copperhead at a young age, got mad, attacked the snake and it bit her again. She almost died from pancreatitis. She never really was the same again - she developed terrible environmental allergies so her immune system was damaged by the bites. By age 7, her pancreas just stopped working and diabetes was our new way of life. She was on steroids for her allergies and that coupled with a damaged pancreas turned into diabetes.

It is not so bad - it is our new normal and she has had a great life despite it. She is happy and was active for quite some time. She has only slowed down now that she is 15 and getting old. It is exactly what I would expect from a dog her age.
                      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Thank you for communicating this. Right now I'm just stressing out because I picked up this rescue dog with the promise of fixing everything that was wrong with his life -- mostly being neglected and caged constantly. Five years later, we are here and despite my best efforts, I may have fucked this up. It's unthinkable, because it really is just me and my dog. I just want to be able to manage this and recover from our current situation.

Comment

Wait! You are in Portland? I'm actually out in the Beaverton / Hillsboro area.

Welcome neighbor.

Craig

Comment

We go out to the Hondo dog park on the weekends, so if you go out there (small dog area) I would be glad to meet you--you know a lot of stuff that I would like to know, and seem generally cool.

Comment

Re: Team Dexter

Did Dexter get his meter yet?

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X