Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Mik: 13 yr old Shih-Tzu

I try to believe that every mistake has a purpose, beyond learning something. [a trait that Karen tried to teach me for years]

After the 4 am regime, I mistakingly left Mik's liquid anti-biotic on the table.It is supposed to be refrigerated.

I called the vet 45 minutes ago and said it had sat on the counter all day and was informed it was now useless. I dashed to the vet.

While a new batch was being mixed from powder. the senior vet nurse chatted with me about fleas, and she reinforced what you all have said.

She said to be thorough, use the Frontline or Vectra [their choices] do the vacuum, spray, vacuum, wash routine, but in addition, vacuum their bedding and 3 feet of surrounding area every day for 14 days, including their favorite path of travel. Better yet, put a new washed/dried towel on their bedding every day while vacuuming the actual bed thing. Spray or wash the old one.

And, don't forget MY clothes! I had not thought of that until reading it here, plus her telling me. I hold them on my lap every night!

Have a change of clothes and pockets ready at the back door, and after I spray, change into those clothes. Throw the others in the wash along with recently worn clothes and start it running.

Exit house.

Enter house and give my clothes a light spray while airing out the house and vacuuming again.

Scheesh!

She agreed completely with you that treating the dog is a small part of the problem.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Founding Moderator

Bob,

I can believe you feel like Mickey Mouse in the Sorcerer's Apprentice with the magic broom and the buckets!

Years ago, canine parvovirus was much a problem and the vaccine we take for granted now didn't yet exist. When you could get vaccine, it was in very short supply and gave immunity only for 6 months.

We had Heidi at that time and we were concerned; we were also very active in the local humane society's work--one of their major ones being a large rummage sale twice a year.

Even though Heidi was getting the vaccine, to be sure, we changed our clothes at the door after working on the set-up for the rummage sales.

I hope when tomorrow's done, you have some time to just sit down and RELAX, because good heavens, if you haven't earned it, nobody has!

Kathy
Old 10-30-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Hope View Post
Bob,

I can believe you feel like Mickey Mouse in the Sorcerer's Apprentice with the magic broom and the buckets!

Kathy
More like the kid with a toothbrush and told to wash the parking lot.

Quote:
Bob,

I hope when tomorrow's done, you have some time to just sit down and RELAX, because good heavens, if you haven't earned it, nobody has!

Kathy
On my incredibly detailed "list" I forgot to note: "PUT MEDS BACK IN FRIDGE!"

Actually, with so much to wash, I have to begin tonight.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Bob,

Am just glad to hear Mak is hungry and eating because a while back he went through a time where he wasn't, just like Mik!

Kathy
Two incredible recent changes: one, Mak decided to eat--pills, liquid meds, everything in his bowl. Two, Mik now eats 1/2 jar of baby food then wants the good Purina. It just suddenly happened!
Old 10-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Founding Moderator

It sounds like these guys are feeling better! I hope we can say the same for you after all you've had to do (and still need to do tomorrow)!
Old 10-30-2009, 11:18 PM

Robert - you are a hero! Great work! Hope you can get some sleep in there somewhere! Wishing you, Mak and Mik the best.

Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:17:30 (PDT)
Old 10-31-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolW View Post
Robert - you are a hero! Great work! .

Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:17:30 (PDT)
Thank you, but actually, quite the opposite. I feel irresponsible to have missed what should have been obvious. The flea infestation and the poor little guy's skin reaction just hit so hard and fast. Still, I should have avoided it with proper flea prevention methods.

more

What bothers me the most is not the Stepford wife cleaning and spraying, etc, but the ferocious attacks on the dog's skin. Vet said highly allergic to flea bites. It will take a while for them to clear up, and they must be miserable. As I vacuumed at 5 am, both dogs just stared at me, "What the....?"

Last edited by robertpri; 10-31-2009 at 06:35 AM. Reason: more
Old 10-31-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpri View Post
Thank you, but actually, quite the opposite. I feel irresponsible to have missed what should have been obvious. The flea infestation and the poor little guy's skin reaction just hit so hard and fast. Still, I should have avoided it with proper flea prevention methods.

more

What bothers me the most is not the Stepford wife cleaning and spraying, etc, but the ferocious attacks on the dog's skin. Vet said highly allergic to flea bites. It will take a while for them to clear up, and they must be miserable. As I vacuumed at 5 am, both dogs just stared at me, "What the....?"
Hi Robert,

You certainly have had your share of problems
This will be a lot of extra work for you, I hope the flea infestation clears up quickly.

Poor wee souls it has been one thing after another, and you have been absolutely marvellous coping with all this on your own.

As I said before I really admire you for what you are doing

Hugs
Old 10-31-2009, 04:26 PM

What...a...day.

'Nuff said.

[but house are dogs are clean enough for mother-in-law visit]
Old 10-31-2009, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Congratulations! I'll bet you are all exhausted!

Natalie