Mik is gone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mik: 13 yr old Shih-Tzu

Amazing info about fleas. I never knew any of this. Thanks Natalie and Kathy.
    The reason for asking is all the pillows [and cases] and throw rugs that Karen had around the house on the floor. The pillows line the brick base of a long fireplace where they run through and it's a rough surface.

My plan is to vacuum the world in the am and dump bags. Remove all pillowcases, washable rugs, etc and put them into large trash bags in the garage. I will spray them and close.

Take dogs to groomer for a bath, then come home and spray the world. It's called Siphotrol, and based on the past, I cannot stay in the house.

Powerful stuff and I use a lot.

Disappear a couple of hours [buying a new bathrobe] then come home and begin washing those loads and vacuum again and dump bags.

I need to rush, because groomer is on short hours tomorrow and cannot keep them past noon. Then continue to wash those loads from the garage before bringing into the house.

Please don't tell me fleas can survive a washer/dryer?

Vet said Karen has always used Frontline, which I put on them the first night. I called Frontline today and asked if a bath would wash it off and need to be done again. They said no, if I did the Frontline on Wed night and bathed them on Saturday, it's in their system and need not be repeated for a month.

Unless I see more fleas.

My next plan is to repeat this entire process in two weeks because I seem to recall that is the best 'kill' period to get larvae that might have been missed.

Other suggestions?
    Mik: ~15 years, 1 IU Vetsulin per 100 calories of Purina EN canned food. BG's coming down, wt going up.

Comment

Me again,
      Confusing isn't it. I was lucky that Buddy ate his food well and the Science Diet canned had all the info on the can..such as

Canned 939kcal/kg (155 kcal/ 165 g can 347 kcal/ 370 g can )

So I knew that Buddy needed to eat half a can each meal. I used to feed him about 1/3 of the canned and added some dry kibble (higher in k/cals) so he was getting enough to eat without the bulk.

Jenny

Comment

Thanks Kathy, so I assume Jenny's 350 k/cal is 350 calories? That would be about right, based on my crude knowledge of 30 calories per pound. Her Buddy was 5 kg or 11 lbs.

11 lbs x 30 = 360, so that fits my figures of Buddy's 350 daily consumption.

Perhaps I am over doing it with 500, but once we hit the 12-13 lb range, which is what vet wants for them both, [and they used to be under Karen's guidance] I can adjust.

I am continually stumped why Mak went from 15 lbs to 17. I watch closely and he is not stealing Mik's food. Of course Mak is an honest dog and would not ordinarily steal, except for food, which in his mind all belongs to him.
        Mik: ~15 years, 1 IU Vetsulin per 100 calories of Purina EN canned food. BG's coming down, wt going up.

Comment

Bob,

Years ago, a family member took in a stray cat. She had him with the run of the unfinished basement for quite a while and after she found out how friendly he was, she decided to bring him upstairs.

We both suspected he was a walking flea hotel, so before he got the run of the house, we took him in for an exam. To say he had fleas was an understatement.

He went for a flea bath and the vet told us to wash all of the rugs, towel and throws that he used in the basement. We also washed up his litter box and brought it upstairs. He also told me to immediately take off my coat when I got home and throw it into the wash, so Lucky didn't have any chance to get fleas; Irene did the same with her coat.

She got some areosols from him to set off in the basement so there could be no fleas surviving down there. After all that was done, we collected Moose from the vet. I took my coat off and threw it into the wash as he'd said. Moose never had another flea and Lucky didn't get any!

Mister Moose, lounging in bed.

Kathy

Comment

Bob,

From the Google pages, it sure looks like while everyone else calls them k/cal, we just call them calories.

Your goal was and is to put more weight on Mik, so more food would be in order. Once you have him at the desired weight, cutting back, as you say, would keep him on "maintenance".

Am just glad to hear Mak is hungry and eating because a while back he went through a time where he wasn't, just like Mik!

Kathy

Comment

I try to believe that every mistake has a purpose, beyond learning something. [a trait that Karen tried to teach me for years]

After the 4 am regime, I mistakingly left Mik's liquid anti-biotic on the table.It is supposed to be refrigerated.

I called the vet 45 minutes ago and said it had sat on the counter all day and was informed it was now useless. I dashed to the vet.

While a new batch was being mixed from powder. the senior vet nurse chatted with me about fleas, and she reinforced what you all have said.

She said to be thorough, use the Frontline or Vectra [their choices] do the vacuum, spray, vacuum, wash routine, but in addition, vacuum their bedding and 3 feet of surrounding area every day for 14 days, including their favorite path of travel. Better yet, put a new washed/dried towel on their bedding every day while vacuuming the actual bed thing. Spray or wash the old one.

And, don't forget MY clothes! I had not thought of that until reading it here, plus her telling me. I hold them on my lap every night!

Have a change of clothes and pockets ready at the back door, and after I spray, change into those clothes. Throw the others in the wash along with recently worn clothes and start it running.

Exit house.

Enter house and give my clothes a light spray while airing out the house and vacuuming again.

Scheesh!

She agreed completely with you that treating the dog is a small part of the problem.

Comment

Bob,

I can believe you feel like Mickey Mouse in the Sorcerer's Apprentice with the magic broom and the buckets!

Years ago, canine parvovirus was much a problem and the vaccine we take for granted now didn't yet exist. When you could get vaccine, it was in very short supply and gave immunity only for 6 months.

We had Heidi at that time and we were concerned; we were also very active in the local humane society's work--one of their major ones being a large rummage sale twice a year.

Even though Heidi was getting the vaccine, to be sure, we changed our clothes at the door after working on the set-up for the rummage sales.

I hope when tomorrow's done, you have some time to just sit down and RELAX, because good heavens, if you haven't earned it, nobody has!

Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by We Hope View Post
                  Bob,

I can believe you feel like Mickey Mouse in the Sorcerer's Apprentice with the magic broom and the buckets!

Kathy
                  More like the kid with a toothbrush and told to wash the parking lot.

Bob,

I hope when tomorrow's done, you have some time to just sit down and RELAX, because good heavens, if you haven't earned it, nobody has!

Kathy
                  On my incredibly detailed "list" I forgot to note: "PUT MEDS BACK IN FRIDGE!"

Actually, with so much to wash, I have to begin tonight.

Comment

Bob,

Am just glad to hear Mak is hungry and eating because a while back he went through a time where he wasn't, just like Mik!

Kathy
                    Two incredible recent changes: one, Mak decided to eat--pills, liquid meds, everything in his bowl. Two, Mik now eats 1/2 jar of baby food then wants the good Purina. It just suddenly happened!

Comment

It sounds like these guys are feeling better! I hope we can say the same for you after all you've had to do (and still need to do tomorrow)!

Comment

Robert - you are a hero! Great work! Hope you can get some sleep in there somewhere! Wishing you, Mak and Mik the best.

Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:17:30 (PDT)
                        http://www.coherentdog.org/
                        CarolW

Comment

Originally posted by CarolW View Post
                          Robert - you are a hero! Great work! .

Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:17:30 (PDT)
                          Thank you, but actually, quite the opposite. I feel irresponsible to have missed what should have been obvious. The flea infestation and the poor little guy's skin reaction just hit so hard and fast. Still, I should have avoided it with proper flea prevention methods.

more

What bothers me the most is not the Stepford wife cleaning and spraying, etc, but the ferocious attacks on the dog's skin. Vet said highly allergic to flea bites. It will take a while for them to clear up, and they must be miserable. As I vacuumed at 5 am, both dogs just stared at me, "What the....?"
                          Last edited by robertpri; 10-31-2009, 06:35 AM. Reason: more

Comment

Originally posted by robertpri View Post
                            Thank you, but actually, quite the opposite. I feel irresponsible to have missed what should have been obvious. The flea infestation and the poor little guy's skin reaction just hit so hard and fast. Still, I should have avoided it with proper flea prevention methods.

more

What bothers me the most is not the Stepford wife cleaning and spraying, etc, but the ferocious attacks on the dog's skin. Vet said highly allergic to flea bites. It will take a while for them to clear up, and they must be miserable. As I vacuumed at 5 am, both dogs just stared at me, "What the....?"
                            Hi Robert,

You certainly have had your share of problems
                            This will be a lot of extra work for you, I hope the flea infestation clears up quickly.

Poor wee souls it has been one thing after another, and you have been absolutely marvellous coping with all this on your own.

As I said before I really admire you for what you are doing

Hugs
                            Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

What...a...day.

'Nuff said.

[but house are dogs are clean enough for mother-in-law visit]

Comment

Congratulations! I'll bet you are all exhausted!

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                                X