Confused and scared about diabetes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused and scared about diabetes

Hi all, I'm new to this form for him and also new to the topic which is dogs and diabetes. My six year old Shih Tzu terrier mix has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. Started him on five units twice a day for the last three weeks. Did the curve testing today and there's a need for an increase which I was not surprised. Thought I had my hands around the whole process very diligent on the times that were feeding him given the insulin shot right after he eats to great routine. Tonight for the first time he will not eat. I think he's not feeling well from being at the vet all day today for testing. I was told never to give him his shot until I see that he's eaten. What do I do?

Re: Confused and scared about diabetes

Welcome to the best place to go for info/support for canine diabetes! The people on this forum are amazing! So sorry you have to go through this,it's very overwhelming,especially when first diagnosed. I am fairly new as well,but the senior members will be able to help you and answer your questions. Just wanted to say you're not alone and diabetes is treatable. So healing prayers to you and kooper

Comment

Hi and welcome! The road to regulation is a long one so it would be a rarity to see results quickly. Your dog was likely at a starting dose. But, I am curious that you are at the same dose that you were three weeks ago? A new dose usually takes 5-7 days to "settle" before you might see results but 3 weeks is a very long period to not be reassessed or have a curve. The process isn't "that" slow. Is there a reason it has taken three weeks?

How much does your dog weigh? Generally, 1/4 of the dose can be given if he doesn't eat BUT I would want to know his weight and the numbers from his curve before I said it was okay.

Many of us test at home to avoid the expense and anxiety involved with staying at the vet's office. The numbers at the vets could be off if he was nervous or anxious.

In the beginning, we were all very scared but it will be no time before you will be a pro at this. It is a change to get used to but it is not that bad and just requires more structure to your life. Just stay consistent - same meals, same amount, same insulin, same time, every day. Read the threads of others and ask all the questions you want - there is a wealth of knowledge and experience among the members of this forum. There are no dumb questions ever! Even if you just want to vent your frustrations, you will find someone to lift you up when you need it. Tell us more about your baby.
      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

They do feel lousy when they are running high, and sometimes need to coaxed to eat. Some chicken, or low fat yogurt or cottage cheese may be a good topper.

Welcome to the forum!
        Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Kooper is 30lbs. We were wondering why three weeks as well. We were told from the emergency care to set an appointment in approximately two weeks and we set an appointment for a little bit after that but then had to take them back because apparently they have the wrong test strips. Frustrating on our part! His level stayed at 400 throughout the day. She said generally she likes to see it around 250 and upped his insulin from five units to seven units twice a day. And then of course suggested we come back in two weeks for more testing. he did not do well being at the vet all day long cooped up in a cage. It is not part of his daily routine by far. I'm apprehensive to take him back in two weeks to have him have another curve testing and would like to learn more about how I could maybe do this at home instead. Where do you feel that I'm better off doing this one more round to get him at a stable stable dosage?

Comment

Welcome to the forum. We have all been where you are now, every single one of us. It does get easier, and the more knowledge you can accumulate, the more confident you will become.

Hopefully you have managed to get hiim to eat something. One unit is pretty safe, and if you can get say half the meal down, then 1/2 the insulin etc.

I would not wait for a curve for wks. there is a lot of info on this site explaining testing at home, It is more reliable and a LOT cheaper. Your pup will be more relaxed at home and the numbers more reliable.

Walmart sells Relion brand glucometers to test. the strips are pretty reasonable and and the meter itself runs about $15. the Relion confirm takes a lot smaller drop of blood than the Relion Prime, which makes it easier at first. Only thing is that the human test equip read quite a bit lower than the dog actually is, so you have to add about 50% (if your meter reads 100 it is closer to 150). the alphatrak is a good meter, and accurate for dogs, but to get started most use the Relion.

With testing at home, you will know where you are, and don't have to wait for wks on the vet. You can get advice over the phone from your vet when you are able to do your own curve.

what type of insulin are you giving? and what food does he eat?

Comment

We are using Merrick grain free food and Novolin N insulin. I have read online that prescription diabetic foods are really not all that they're cracked up to be. Have a lot of fillers and grains in them. I know in humans you have to watch sugar and carbohydrates so that's kind of what we did. we increased his fiber by adding things that green beans , shredded wheat and oatmeal to his food s well.

So this morning he's back to normal. Ready to eat right at 6:30. He did wake us up last night because he wanted water which I expected. This all started with him waking us up at night to get what we thought was to go out really was to get a drink water. Did this for a couple of nights. And then I noticed one day that his breakfast "sweet". So I got a at-home pet urine test and it was blatantly positive. That's when I took him to the vet then in turn sent us to the emergency hospital. After tons and tons of testing it ended up that he ONLY has diabetes. We can certainly live with that.

I know these people went to school for really long time to specialize in animals. I don't have a lot of faith in them sometimes. Glad I found this forum!
              Last edited by Koopersmom; 06-04-2015, 03:41 AM.

Comment

I will say the approach to diabetes in dogs is different from the human approach. Dogs process insulin faster than humans and due to the type of insulin we use, they actually need some carbs to make the insulin work properly. Dogs are akin to type 1 diabetes so you can't approach it in a type 2 state of mind. If there is no balance with food, dogs can use the insulin too quickly and be left high the rest of the cycle. Keep in mind that a higher protein food can contain more fat and diabetic dogs are at risk for pancreatitis. Not saying you need to change but make sure the fat is not too high and there is some balance of protein and some carb.

Prescription foods work for many dogs - I know it is surprising but some of those "superior" foods can cause very unstable sugar. You will see every different diet in the world here for many different reasons. You need a food they will willingly eat all the time.
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

As far as eating both of my dogs are grazers. So because of this new change where we need him to eat so we can give him a shot we've started adding things to their food like a little scoop of oatmeal or some green beans or pumpkin. They will eat anything if those things are in their food. Neither one of them are really very picky.

I think yesterday Cooper was completely stressed out over his car of testing and being at the vet all day long. He is very much back to his normal way this morning. His breath is a little sweet though. But his physical behavior us good. I will read the forums on testing and get started on that asap.

Question do any of you do curve testing it home and then make your own insulin adjustments without consulting the vet?

Comment

I cannot to begin to tell you the level of relief I have getting advice from you all. It's nice to know are so many people out there who have experience with dealing with canine diabetes. Thank you for letting me join this form

Comment

Some vets are very good at helping with regulation, some are not. the truth is that many have not actually dealt with diabetes on a day to day basis, which is very different from the theory for sure.

If you are in an area where you have lots of choices in vets, then shop around, see if you can find one that suits the way you want to handle the diabetes. for example that you want to home test and do your own curves. Eventually you will undoubtedly make your own decisions, but at first an experienced vet is a big advantage.

I am so glad to heat that your dog is eating, it is so scary and frustrating when they won't. Once you are testing, it is a lot easier to evaluate how the food is matching up with the insulin. I empathize with your thoughts on perscription diets LOL

Comment

Maggie doesn't tolerate curves at the vet - she can't be crated for hours.

My vet and I made a deal years ago. He would be in favor of testing if I consulted him before I make changes. Once he was comfortable with me doing it and actually said I didn't have to call him every time, then I do everything blood sugar wise myself. If I think she has an infection or some other issue I consult him. He is always willing to answer questions over the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Koopersmom View Post
                          As far as eating both of my dogs are grazers. So because of this new change where we need him to eat so we can give him a shot we've started adding things to their food like a little scoop of oatmeal or some green beans or pumpkin. They will eat anything if those things are in their food. Neither one of them are really very picky.

I think yesterday Cooper was completely stressed out over his car of testing and being at the vet all day long. He is very much back to his normal way this morning. His breath is a little sweet though. But his physical behavior us good. I will read the forums on testing and get started on that asap.

Question do any of you do curve testing it home and then make your own insulin adjustments without consulting the vet?
                          Consistency is very important with most pups. If the meals vary too much it might be difficult to determine the correct insulin dosage. Some of us use a kitchen food scale to weigh out the meals because we think a small difference makes a noticeable difference in their BG readings. The way I look at it is that we all probably take our time measuring the insulin in the syringe, some of us try to measure the insulin to 1/4 unit, so I should also be accurate in the food. Just my procedure.

Annie sees her general vet once a year. I was probably a bit luckier than most because our son is a vet tech at the clinic we use. Early on, he would come and do curves for us in trade for food and getting his laundry done. As time went by Annie's diabetes became my hobby and I'd just email / text him any news and I'm sure he mentioned Annie to the vet. But we have been pretty much on our own (past 6+ years) since switching away from Vetsulin that needed a prescription from the vet.

Craig
                          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hello & welcome. I too am fairly new on this forum and thankful for all the advice and information I've received since joining.

Obviously you realize now that you are not alone in this process and, yes, it can be very overwhelming and frustrating.

My 8.5 year old Bichon was diagnosed in mid April and she's still not regulated with her numbers although her symptoms of excessive drinking/urinating and restlessness at night have been controlled since starting on insulin (Vetsulin).

About the dose, she started out with 5 units twice a day and is now up to 8 units twice a day. I had one curve done at the vets about a month ago and was uncomfortable leaving her there all day as I'm sure she was nervous even though they said she did fine. Since then I bought the AlphaTrak 2 meter and test at home. The testing itself is a challenge but you will get the hang of it.

Vet wants another curve done so I'm going to do it at home and hopefully it will be fairly accurate.

My girl was on the Merrick food (canned & dry) for a few years and I thought was doing great on it but then she developed pancreatitis and the diabetes. She did test positive for Cushings but right now we are focusing on the other two issues. Anyway, I did have to change to the Hills prescription food which she seems to love so no problems so far eating (thankfully!). Like you though I'm not thrilled about the ingredients.

And, like you, I'm not sure how knowledgeable these vets are about diabetes and other diseases. It seems they can easily diagnose with testing but then you have to be your pup's own doctor in many ways.

All we can do is our best and keep pushing forward.

Best of luck to you & your furbaby!
                            Brenda
                            11 yr. old Bichon Frise...Diagnosed April 2015...Novolin 2x/day; snacks- frozen green beans, dehydrated chicken piece and frozen pumpkin pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Koopersmom View Post

Hi and Welcome to you and Cooper

Do you have any ketone test strips? The "sweet breath" sounds like high ketones, which can turn into a very serious situation. You can get the test strips at any drug or grocery store.

Carol & Milo

Comment

Working...
                              X