Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad Eating habbits - suggestions welcom

What great news!

I like that you're getting a chance to compare your meter right up front.

Natalie

Comment

So, Nat, if the urine test goes below 250 that's when I should worry about hypoglycemia? I too, am currently not blood testing. Too scared to right now, plus the ER Vet hasn't said one thing about it. Are there early signs of hypoglycemia?
      Gizmo & Cindy diagnosed diabetic 10/19/10, 1u Humulin N 2x day fed w/d 2x a day.

Comment

Some dogs don't give much indication while other dogs give very reliable signals. Here are pages that goes over some common ones.

http://www.caninediabetes.org/pdorg/hypoglycemia.htm

http://diabetesindogs.wikia.com/wiki/Hypoglycemia

And these links are on the Links page of the main website:
        www.k9diabetes.com/complinks.html

Our dog got weak and shaky the few times he had a noticeable low.

Once the blood sugar drops below about 180 for a substantial period of time, the urine strips will show negative for glucose. That's the threshold for glucose to spill from the blood into the urine.

The difficult with urine strips is a negative could be 175 or it could be 30.

There are some ways to tell how close a dog is to the renal threshold if they will go pretty much upon request.

Natalie

Comment

Hi Megan! Too bad Spirit is a girl! My Pip is a boy and I can test his urine anytime I want. He hates our other dog so he's always marking something! I usually test urine against Pip's curves and always test at the same times.

One thing I've learned is that if you only test urine, you have to make sure that you also figure out how many times they have peed since eating...for example, if Pip eats his dinner and then does not go out to pee at least once - then he will have positive urine in the morning. And that means nothing to me because it's sugar from his dinner last night. I have to force him out at night to make sure he's negative before we go to bed. Then if he's negative in the AM, I know he has stayed below the renal threshold for the night.

Let me caution you though - I've been doing this for 3 years while comparing urine to blood tests - and the only advice I can give you is that once you reach a negative urine (even once during the day) - take Spirit for a curve. Because like Natalie said a negative urine can mean a wonderful 170 or a scary 50!

Comment

Originally posted by gizzy629 View Post
            So, Nat, if the urine test goes below 250 that's when I should worry about hypoglycemia? I too, am currently not blood testing. Too scared to right now, plus the ER Vet hasn't said one thing about it. Are there early signs of hypoglycemia?
            Unfortunately not all dogs show the typical signs of low blood sugar.

Mildred is one that can be quite low and by all outward appearances seem like nothing is wrong.

I once caught her at 37 (Alpha Trak) with a recheck to confirm.

I know this can be so overwhelming in the beginning but there is nothing about home blood testing that should cause you to be afraid. Most dogs accept the routine of testing very well and the benefits so outweigh not doing it at all.

I've been blood testing Mildred regularly, on a daily basis for 6 years. It has just become 'what I do' before feeding, everyday, as is the insulin injection following her meal.

Because I have done it for so long it is not stressful at all, neither for me or for Mildred, what would cause stress is if I didn't do her daily tests.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I guess I was right. He was showing signs of starting hypo. Last night he started licking alot for about 20 minutes and acted like he was starving. I knew there was something wrong. He just wasn't acting right. So I gave him a couple kibbles of his food and just cuddled him and prayed for 7:10pm to hurry and come. It came and I fed him, he was fine. Just e-mailed his vet and they are now cutting his insulin back to 2u with him being fed 3x a day. One cup in the am, 1/2 cup 2 hours before his pm insulin and then 1/2 cup right before his insulin. Hopefully this works out for him. This has been such a looooonnnngggg haul!
              Gizmo & Cindy diagnosed diabetic 10/19/10, 1u Humulin N 2x day fed w/d 2x a day.

Comment

Originally posted by gizzy629 View Post
                I guess I was right. He was showing signs of starting hypo. Last night he started licking alot for about 20 minutes and acted like he was starving. I knew there was something wrong. He just wasn't acting right. So I gave him a couple kibbles of his food and just cuddled him and prayed for 7:10pm to hurry and come. It came and I fed him, he was fine. Just e-mailed his vet and they are now cutting his insulin back to 2u with him being fed 3x a day. One cup in the am, 1/2 cup 2 hours before his pm insulin and then 1/2 cup right before his insulin. Hopefully this works out for him. This has been such a looooonnnngggg haul!
                Whenever you suspect low blood sugar and do not home test to be able to check for sure do NOT ever be hesitant or put off in giving karo along with food...it doesn't matter if it is not meal time yet.
                It is vital that if the glucose level is too low that it is brought up immediately, karo will do this and food will keep it up.
                Last edited by eileen; 12-10-2010, 10:10 AM.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Thanks Eileen for the input. I will do that next time. How much food? And does the food you give him get deducted from his original amount for the day?

Comment

Re: Border collie Jack

Hi there everyone - hope you all had a wonderful Memorial Day!
                    Spirit had a memorable one - that's for sure, herniated disc in her back
                    Her gate is swinging left and her toes are starting to curl up, poor baby.

Anyway - with her being a diabetic the emergency vet (yes this literally happened Saturday night) wouldn't give her prednisone. From the thread, looks like that's something I should consider talking to my vet about when she sees her tomorrow?

Right now she's on Rimadyl & tramadol and is quite content. Happy & eating! But getting a bit concerned she hasn't gone to the bathroom.

Anyway, I hope Jack is doing well - and thanks as always for advice and well wishes.

Best,
                    Megan & Spirit
                    Spirit Little Bear ~61lbs~ 16 units BID ~Humulin N~

Comment

Re: Karelian bear dog Spirit

Hi, I'm new here so you wouldn't know me, but I hope Spirit is on the mend soon.
                      Tara in honor of Ruby.
                      She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                      Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubytuesday View Post
                        Hi, I'm new here so you wouldn't know me, but I hope Spirit is on the mend soon.
                        Hi there - welcome!

Thanks for the warm wishes
                        Looks like it's not a herniated disc after all, but a spinal stroke of some type.
                        She responds to both feet, tail & hiner so we're hoping for a full recovery.

In case anyone is interested... my vet said "no" to the prednisone unless it becomes a last ditch effort. So for now, we wait.

Hope all is well with the K9 community - much love and gratitude for the continued support!
                        Megan & Spirit
                        Spirit Little Bear ~61lbs~ 16 units BID ~Humulin N~

Comment

I do hope the Rimadyl and Tramadol continue to help. So sorry to hear about her spinal issue. It's good to hear from you Megan
                          Patty
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                          X