Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Jenny Diabetic & Cushings Poodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgr789 View Post
Judi,
How's Jenny doing these days?

Sadie is still holding her own. Her appetite goes away every few days so feeding time is always a crap shoot. And her hind end seems to be getting worse, (not good on stairs or hopping in the car) so I had to add Glucosamine to the regime, but we're still here.

Hope all is well with you and Jenny.

Judy (and Sadie)
Jenny won't walk up the stairs anymore either. glad the glucosamine is working
Old 07-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Awe Judi. Jenny makes me laugh and yet her aging is sad to hear of as well. Coddle her for us too
Old 07-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Founding Member

thanks Patty. I still think of Ali way too often since I never met her. these dogs burrow into our hearts
Old 07-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

I know what you mean - we took Maggie to the lake house and she was running around looking for trouble Friday. She has been sleeping non stop since. She really wore herself out. She just seems so frail at times then she will rebound. Nothing to do but wait and see.

Last edited by amydunn19; 07-06-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Founding Member

yeah. I think a lot of us are in the same boat. it helps me to know it. thanks Amy
Old 07-06-2014, 04:17 PM

Aging stinks :/

Extra belly rubs for the diva from us as well...
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Founding Member

thanks Tami, she was such a good girl she is getting lots of belly rubs. Even with the whole cry wolf thing

It was interesting to watch her acclimate at my Dad's. She did large circles around the living room that smaller, testing to see where she'd bump into things.

by day 3 between Jenny, Ranger, and us, she could track to the kitchen for water, the bedroom for me. it was something
Old 07-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Founding Member

judi it sounds like her mind is still sharp .sometimes new challenges can stimulate the mind .

glad she figured it out .she is quite the sharp old girl
Old 07-06-2014, 07:31 PM

Location: Kansas City, but Oklahoma bound in a couple of months. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi View Post
she still wants to play sometimes, wags her tail and stuff. She sleeps more but she is 14. So, I am ignoring them.
Judi, we are new here so we haven't had the pleasure of getting to know Jenny yet, but I wanted to say I had an 18 1/2 yo, and they do, indeed, sleep more , but you know what to do. You are the mommy. I have had wonderful vets who always deferred to mommy instinct, just as my pediatricians do. Tail wagging and playing certainly means she is getting enjoyment from her life, and I suspect she enjoys her naps and cuddling. Plenty of older people who nap a lot as they age, and maybe have some cricks and ailments, but enjoy life and their loved ones. And if your Jenny is up to the task of a little manipulate-the-mommyness then she sounds like she is doing just fine. Even at 18 1/2yo, my baby would perk up her ears and l.o.v.e.d. her meals so very much. She napped in the sun, got lots of extra pets and massages, ate food, and did, indeed, go in her own time. And she was mostly deaf and pretty blind for the last couple of years of her life. Some might have said then was the time, but she didn't think so and enjoyed much beyond that. So love to you both and have beautiful moment together, even when just snuggling.
Kristie & Snowball 8+yo? BROWN male Min Pin ; Dx 06-11-14; 6.8lbs! but 12lbs would be better!; 2 meals q D of chicken, broccoli, red beans, and oatmeal; 1u Novolin N BID; Testing with Relion Prime; cataracts. Lives with Fangie (8yo Rat Terrier), Mari (6mo old Rat Terrier), and three 4yos!!!
Old 07-06-2014, 07:39 PM

Glad to hear she is holding her own Judi. Nice that you feel comfortable in your evaluation of Jenny and aren't letting others influence the decision.

I imagine when I am old I will sleep a lot, but as long as I'm not in pain I would want to stay.

Tara