Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:49 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Jenny Diabetic & Cushings Poodle is an Angel...

Thank you guys so much. Sandy: I hope Miss Tiggy is doing well! I think of you guys.

Mel: I hope you haven't been around because things are status quo.

and Tara: thank you. I am not eloquent like you are but you know you helped us so much. My business partner hasn't said a word to me. I don't know if he knows Jenny is gone. He was out of the office Monday when a couple of people told me I looked horrible and I decided to go home. I only talk to her to people who ask. But I agree. I'm very glad we had the last 3 1/2 years with her. Even in July I had her at the office on her way to the vet and she was running around like she owned the place.

All of your family (2 legged and 4 legged) are lucky to have you in their lives. I hope these painful anniversaries eventually turn into less pain and more happy memory.

I miss my girl but I am very grateful her ending was peaceful and that we could mostly keep the pain at bay that last weekend.

thanks again to all of you. If I responded to each of you individually like I should I wouldn't be able to see through the tears. I appreciate each and every one of you. thanks..
Old 11-15-2014, 07:19 PM

I can relate to the feelings of loss hanging on for longer than we think they will. It will soon be ten years since I lost my golden retriever Shelby. We had to let her go on Thanksgiving in 2004, after sudden illness and a quick decline. Even after all this time, I miss her dainty ladylike personality and the way she used to lay on my feet to keep them warm... I swear I sometimes find long golden hairs that look like they were hers, although it doesn't seem possible after ten years - even given my poor cleaning regimen. Every night I run my hand over the cedar box of her ashes and tell her 'goodnight pretty girl' (also the last words I spoke in her ear). It gets easier as the years pass but a truly special bond never ends. You know that you did what was best for Jenny, so you can find peace in the comfort of not having to second guess yourself.
Grayson - 95lb black lab, 10yrs old, diagnosed 3/22/14 - Novolin N (27units) and Merrick Grain Free Buffalo and Sweet Potato dry food - Novox 100mg twice daily & a Cosequin supplement - Alphatrak2 & One Touch Mini

Last edited by Grayson; 11-15-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Founding Member

I think a sudden death is harder to deal with. Your Shelby sounds sweet and I laughed at your housekeeping comment. I had to take ranger to the vet for a checkup today and everyone had such nice things to say about Jenny. It got emotional. Then they asked if we'd mind waiting cause someone was there for a euthanization of course not but man was I happy to leave.

I'm glad you still remember your special girl. They are family
Old 11-15-2014, 10:09 PM

Wow Judi so glad you left, they were abit incentative. Your sounding so good , when its Riles time, i hope i deal with it like your coping. This cold cold polar vortex is kicking in again this year. Hope its not -40 degrees with 100 km winds like last year.

we do what we can with our dogs. Soooo thinking of you in this colder weather Judi.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:31 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Judi,

I have been keeping up with your thread and I find it hard to get through it without tears. I just saw Jenny and Maggie as such kindred spirits, so alike in so many ways - both traveling the road with complications and both always coming back so many times from the brink because they were tough girls.

I am glad you are at peace with the timing and you knew it was the right time. That is a huge blessing. I think any decision we make out of love is the right one. I know it still must be painful and so very sad. I will keep you in my thoughts in the coming days as I have been all week.

Amy
Old 11-15-2014, 10:55 PM

Ontario, Minnesota and Buffalo...looks like we're all familiar with the polar vortex and wonderful 'lake effect' snow. I'm also not too anxious to be dealing with the cold and brutal winter weather we get in this part of the country. Right now, the only warm spot seems to be in Florida!
Grayson - 95lb black lab, 10yrs old, diagnosed 3/22/14 - Novolin N (27units) and Merrick Grain Free Buffalo and Sweet Potato dry food - Novox 100mg twice daily & a Cosequin supplement - Alphatrak2 & One Touch Mini
Old 11-16-2014, 05:36 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydunn19 View Post
Judi,

I have been keeping up with your thread and I find it hard to get through it without tears. I just saw Jenny and Maggie as such kindred spirits, so alike in so many ways - both traveling the road with complications and both always coming back so many times from the brink because they were tough girls.

I am glad you are at peace with the timing and you knew it was the right time. That is a huge blessing. I think any decision we make out of love is the right one. I know it still must be painful and so very sad. I will keep you in my thoughts in the coming days as I have been all week.

Amy
thanks Amy. When Jenny got pancreatitis we leaned on you a lot. You know I admire your "village" that is helping take care of Miss Maggie.

Jenny was one of the tough girls but I think it made it easier to see when it was time. That last Wednesday we had about 2 inches of snow and it was a windy 30 degrees. I went outside with her and scooped her up as soon as her business was done but she still let me know how unhappy she was that I let her get so cold. I love that

I started thinking that night and the next day, wondering how we were going to get a few more months with her when the real cold was coming. I always said as long as she was still fiesty and still wagging her tail she was still Jenny and it was too soon. Then Thursday night she started the frantic pawing at her bed because something hurt. She ate ok but the only way I could soothe her was to sit next to her bed and stroke her side and her ears. That would bring an hour or two of relief then it would start again.

I gave her eye drops, ear drops, washed her face, and tramadol and the frantic pawing kept going on along with her getting lost inside the house.

So I felt like that was my sign. I think I've mentioned before that one of my coworkers waited one day too long with her cat, who she loved to the moon and back, and the poor cat had a stroke. She came home to find the cat alive but unable to move laying in the hall. It still haunts her wondering how long her cat was like that.

So, as much as I miss my little poodle I'm so glad we spared her further pain and that I was with her.

no more survivor's guilt! I hope Maggie has many more years to entertain us with her antics and her outfits.

our blue haired girls on the forum are very special.

love, Judi
Old 11-16-2014, 05:28 PM

Judi I am so very sorry to learn of Jenny's passing. My thoughts are with you.
Deepest condolences
Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:11 AM
Founding Member

thanks Jane.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:43 PM

Hey Judi, thinking of you with this dang snow

how the heck is Ranger doing getting threw the snow to do his business?

hope our polar vortex isnt as bad as last year eh Judi?

like -40 degrees with 100 km winds, so far were good gees but its tough at -20. 30 km winds. Snow just started tonight. Took the car out, drive a mile out it back in the garage. Took a cab for beers