Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Jenny Diabetic & Cushings Poodle is an Angel...

Aw winter is so tough. He is a great boy. Give him a hug from me. Our snow melted this weekend. Ranger the psycho is still nuts.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:19 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

I have thought of you so often lately - I know the holidays must be tough.

Poor Mags has gotten so old in the past month but she can be feisty like Jenny. She got really mad at Mya the other day for running into her and promptly put her in her place. Then, during the night she fell off the bed and was pitiful again. Her and Jenny must be distantly related.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:21 AM
Founding Member

they do share some personality traits! I love it when the older dogs show some spunk! poor darling falling off the bed. way to work it Maggie!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:23 PM

Warm Greetings to you from the Uk.
I have been on the K9 cushings site and they are so helpful,they signposted me here. Your Angel Jenny had Cushings and Diabetes; she looks a lovely girl Harry, my Llasa x King Charles Cavalier Spaniel has both too; I am grateful that you can share your experience and empathise with others too. Thank you.

I hope to post more here and share Harrys experiences:I value the knowledge the people here have: we dont seem to have such a fantastic resource here, so Im glad I found you all.

Harry is on Vetoryl 40mgs once a day since December 2014 and 5ml insulin twice a day since 8 days ago. My vet wanted to treat the Cushings first as she thought it was causing the diabetes. Ive seen an improvement since giving the insulin but need to inform myself more about it . Im working so evenings /weekends are when I can visit the site. Bye for now, Harry and Sue
Old 01-07-2015, 07:03 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momakah View Post
Warm Greetings to you from the Uk.
I have been on the K9 cushings site and they are so helpful,they signposted me here. Your Angel Jenny had Cushings and Diabetes; she looks a lovely girl Harry, my Llasa x King Charles Cavalier Spaniel has both too; I am grateful that you can share your experience and empathise with others too. Thank you.

I hope to post more here and share Harrys experiences:I value the knowledge the people here have: we dont seem to have such a fantastic resource here, so Im glad I found you all.

Harry is on Vetoryl 40mgs once a day since December 2014 and 5ml insulin twice a day since 8 days ago. My vet wanted to treat the Cushings first as she thought it was causing the diabetes. Ive seen an improvement since giving the insulin but need to inform myself more about it . Im working so evenings /weekends are when I can visit the site. Bye for now, Harry and Sue
Hi Sue: We'd love to hear more about Harry. Dealing with both diseases can be tricky but it can definitely be done! I'm glad Harry is showing some improvement, please stop in when you can!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:57 PM

Hello: just a quick checkin before bed: I visited Harrys old vet with him today we are moving back home to that area next week so all good)
Cataract in the right eye and some other kind of problem in the left eye too: so antibiotics and corneal repair gel prescribed.
Harry enjoyed a favourite walk, not too long, but still he was happy.
eating well, still drinking water and asking to go out at about 3am even though he has a male nappy(diaper) wrap, which holds a lot, he prefers to go out and do his business as usual. Probably a good sign
Not sure yet how to go with the Vetoryl, but I would rather not any higher. Our old vet said if Harry responded so well and quickly to the insulin it seems thats the issue for him to deal with at the moment. From what you are saying it is a real balancing act so I wont rush to change. Good Night and thanks a million for all the help, love from Harry and Sue
Old 01-09-2015, 12:38 PM
Founding Member

sorry about the eye.
It is a balancing act but doable. I used to wish we could measure their cortisol as easily as we can check their blood sugar. I'm so glad you went back to your old vet.

At the end of the day I decided that if my dog was feeling pretty good and acting pretty good I wouldn't obsess over the #'s. Sounds like you've dealt with your share of canine illnesses so you can handle that too!

Please keep us posted on Harry. Have the admins set up his own thread for him yet? Just don't want to miss it. Judi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momakah View Post
Hello: just a quick checkin before bed: I visited Harrys old vet with him today we are moving back home to that area next week so all good)
Cataract in the right eye and some other kind of problem in the left eye too: so antibiotics and corneal repair gel prescribed.
Harry enjoyed a favourite walk, not too long, but still he was happy.
eating well, still drinking water and asking to go out at about 3am even though he has a male nappy(diaper) wrap, which holds a lot, he prefers to go out and do his business as usual. Probably a good sign
Not sure yet how to go with the Vetoryl, but I would rather not any higher. Our old vet said if Harry responded so well and quickly to the insulin it seems thats the issue for him to deal with at the moment. From what you are saying it is a real balancing act so I wont rush to change. Good Night and thanks a million for all the help, love from Harry and Sue
Old 01-30-2015, 12:42 PM

Talking Re: Jenny Diabetic & Cushings Poodle is an Angel...

Hi Judy, Hi All
so sorry not to reply or post for a while: we moved on the 15th , back home , its great as Harry seems happier all round: loves the garden here and the tortoiseshell cat; Momo, too. She joins us for walks , overtaking us at great speed!
The anti biotics have worked a treat on the eye: Edward( our vet ) pronounced it clear!
Harry seems more energetic too: maybe the raw food diet? He has 300/400grams in 2 meals; 12 hours apart, then 7 u of caninsulin about 20 minutes later. Every 2nd day 2 raw chicken wings to chomp! He loves it!
I am only sorry I didnt feed him raw meat before now but I just didnt get it!

Harry went for a mini hair cut ; his lovely groomer Denise did see a change in him He was tired but he managed for half an hour and so now his hair is shorter and his legs and paws dont get so wet or grubby. Then it was off for a stroll around one of the small but beautiful man made lakes we have here in the Forest of Dean.
Denise found an infected cyst on Harrys shoulder: lucky she spotted it as we didnt notice it through his fur; more antibiotics ! But he really seems like a different dog. Amazing!

I have an Accucheck Human Monitor to test glucose:
Ive seen lots of people here use them so Im going to give it a go and adjust the figures up, about a quarter more?

Its soon time for Harrys evening meal, so Ill say G'bye for now,
Take care , love from Harry and Sue
Old 11-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Founding Member

Its been a year since we let our Jenny go. Latley the forum has been so sad for me with the loss of some of our buddies who helped us over our 3 1/2 years of diabetes. I wasn't going to post but even though I miss fiesty Jenny who would have loved all of the squirrels in our yard this, year, I appreciate all of you who helped us keep her alive way longer then she would have had if we hadn't found this forum. Hang in there. I'm still totally comfortable that we made the right decision at the right time.

I miss her but thank you all for keeping her with us for so long. senior dogs are tough. xoxo Judi
Old 11-08-2015, 05:50 PM

Wink Re: Jenny Diabetic & Cushings Poodle is an Angel...

Omg Judi,
Doesnt seem like its been a year.there are lots of us that miss you and your girl
Hope all is good with you. Sissy is over 3 yrs now,and doing really well,lol great numbers the last 4-5 months.pancreatitis but have been managing it ok so far.
Nice to hear from you
Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.