Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since it's so quiet, how about an update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since it's so quiet, how about an update?

It's so quiet around here... how about an update on you and your pup(s)? No diabetic dog required to post - we like to hear about you too!

Re: Since it's so quiet, how about an update?

We spent a little while today at a Celebration of Life for Sophia Yin, Jack's behaviorist, who died at the end of September... really sad...

I spent about ten minutes or so with her Jack Russell, Jonesy, and he climbed up on my lap and let me pet him and talk to him. He looks sad and I'm sure he must miss Sophia terribly. I hadn't interacted with Jonesy much when Sophia worked with our dog but he was at our house a couple of times and he was as much of a "celebrity" as Sophia was.

Between that and a dog who got lost last Tuesday as a result of an accident and who died on the train tracks nearby, I admit I'm feeling kind of gloomy at the moment. But also very grateful for all that I have and for our boy Jack's health and happiness.

Natalie

Comment

yes natalie that is the key being grateful. its one of the big ones understanding the meaning of life. it has a way of taking a negative and turning into a positive . its nice to see your friends legacy still present in the form of a dog . i am sure a reflection of who she was and still is . sounds like a great person

well for jesse not allot of rabbits lately probably the dry weather but grateful for the opportunity

been working in some pinto beans into jesses diet so far so good but just a couple weeks and as we all know that is just a spec if that in time for diabetics
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Spirit's been acting like her usual spunky self. She's enjoying agility immensely and really excels at it. I mean, REALLY excels at it!!!!! As in, her trainer said that she can start taking the intermediate agility class, that most dogs move into after 5-6 months of training (we would set the jump bars on the floor so she doesn't hurt herself). She's been training for 4 weeks. She absolutely loves it and is motivated to do it all the time. She prefers doing agility to playing with the other dogs in class. During playtime, she totally blows off the other dogs and takes off to do the agility equipment herself :-) It's adorable watching her.

And I've entered an agility trial with one of the other dogs that goes to Spirit's school (his mom is too nervous to compete with him). I'm super excited but also really nervous. The dog is definitely ready to compete but I feel like I'm not. But he's a very easy going dog and just loves agility, so hopefully it will be a good experience for both of us. I figured I have nothing to lose. I did get very ambitious when I entered the trial, and entered every single division that he's eligible for, so we'll be doing 6 events in 2 days. Paws crossed it will go well. The trial is December 6-7th.
        Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

We're back in the frozen tundra for three more weeks! On a personal note I'm happy to report my unhappy knee is better, as long as my hubby carries Charlie up and down the stairs!

As Thanksgivig approaches I'm really feeling extra grateful this year; we're both healthy, our family is all well, Charlie just continues to truck along

A wee bit of snow this morning, going to be cold all week.

Natalie, you wonder what a dog thinks when it's owner passes, they must be so confused. I hope your glooms don't last long, sometimes the circle of life has its down times. Remember ALL of the dogs you have helped, we grieve when they pass but the extra time we have with them is because of you and the rest of the forum.

Laura
          Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Natalie, I'm sure he must miss Sophia terribly. Glad to hear Jack is doing well. Tell Jeff we said hello as well.

Jesse girl, hope the pinto beans balance out well and the rabbit population bounces back!

Cara, how fun that you doing agility with 2 dogs now!

I have stayed very busy and things are just now starting to slow down (a little...). Taking some much needed time away this next week then spending Thanksgiving with family. We've had some health issues on both sides of the family so it will be a good visit but not without it's own challenges/concerns. Feeling very blessed that I am able to spend the upcoming holidays with my husband. Thinking of many of our friends who are separated during this time of year.

And, remembering the logistical challenges having a diabetic dog and juggling holiday celebrations presents. I still Ooh and Ahh over the sweet golden rescue pups I see pictured. But now is not yet the time. I feel I will know when.
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Yes, it's really a lot of fun. The other dog that I'm working with is a sheltie too, so hopefully working with him will help "train" me better, so that when Spirit is ready to compete I'll already have a lot of experience. Except that he's the most mellow sheltie I've ever met, and he's really not that fast. Spirit, I believe, is going to be SMOKING fast!!!!! But since they're both herding dogs, lots of the same techniques will probably apply (for example, most herding dogs like to be behind their handler so they can "herd" them - it's pretty hard to send them out in front of you - so I need to practice running courses without staying behind my dog). But I'm so grateful that I have this opportunity to practice. A few of my other friends have offered to let me do run throughs (which is kind of like a dress rehearsal) with their dogs, so that will help as well. Should be interesting to see what happens!
              Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Natalie,
                I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Jack's behaviorist. I hope you found some peace in the celebration of life ceremony.

Update here: Made it to November before having to turn the heat on

Old man Kinser had a good wellness exam last week. He's been on metacam daily for about a year now and we had to add tramadol a couple of months ago to give him some additional arthritis relief. All in all though - his blood work had a couple of slightly elevated values but nothing concerning at this point. He's 13.5 years old and it's only the third blood panel he's ever had. The first one with any abnormal values. Vet said for a dog his size and age, the blood work looks good. He's lost a lot of muscle mass in his rear legs and it shows in his mobility, but his spirit is still strong, his eyes are bright and he still has a good interest in life. His weight was down to 73 pounds. For years he he held steady around 83-85 pounds. It's steadily declined the last couple of years, but I try not to worry and tell myself that it's probably best given the weakness in his back end. He continues to believe he is king of the household and nobody has told him otherwise.

The pup, Toby, is doing great for the most part. He loves his humans. Maybe a bit too much as he is showing some definite protective instincts around strangers. He growled at the vet at his last visit a couple of months ago. Today he growled at a couple who stopped to pet him. Sometimes he's a bit hesitant around strangers who try to pet him, but today was the first time he growled. He walks with his tongue hanging out and is all wiggly up to the point where someone steps towards him (when I am behind him). I suspect he goes into a protective mode. When someone he doesn't know, especially if it's a man, steps towards him, he begins to bark, his hackles will raise, and today he growled. He'll stop when I tell him no and will sit when I tell him to. We've taken him to many social events and he is fine with people all around him, the reaction seems to be directly related to strangers stepping towards him (or maybe him thinking they are stepping towards me)? Open to training ideas anyone may have on how to curb the behavior. He's very food motivated so I think I'll start taking treats on walks to see if distraction alone will help.

Other than that - just enjoying what glimpses of the sun we have these days and looking forward to getting some vacation time over the Thanksgiving break.
                Last edited by momofdecker; 11-09-2014, 08:48 PM.
                Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

We have been very busy ramping up for the holidays at our store. Christmas just comes earlier every year and we even had a holiday show during Halloween week. Who wants to buy Christmas outfits and sweaters when it is 80 degrees outside?

Maggie is doing good - seems to have recovered nicely from her surgery. Everyone has been doting on her and she gets non stop attention from all of our customers. She seems to be losing some of her hearing or maybe she is just being a stubborn JRT. She is into everything these days. The day we had the eye surgery, Dr. Miller was explaining the procedure so we had put Maggie down to walk around the exam room. She immediately walked over to his little wastebasket, dumped it over and started rummaging through his trash. He thought that was so funny and asked me if I was sure she was really 14. She just has days where she will get into anything within reach. She grabbed an empty Cheeto bag out of our work trash and got it stuck on her head. Then her face was orange with cheeto crumbs. Didn't affect her blood sugar at all. She scares me though with some of her antics. I dread the winter and cold weather. I hope she muddles through another winter without any major issues. I always feel like we will be lucky to get a few more months with her but I have been saying that for 7 years now, so who knows?

My brothers are both having heart issues - we have the worst genes for health issues. Our parents died at 55 and 65 years old so not great luck with longevity. Both of my brothers had heart attacks at 50 so I am wondering if I should be concerned as I am 47 now. Do women have the same risk as men?

I am glad the forum has been quiet for a while - maybe it means all is going well for everyone. I always hold my breath a little when I get on for fear that someone has lost one of their fur kids. It really hurts to hear that kind of pain from our little family here.
                  Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Just saying Hi to old and new members . I hope everyone is doing ok

This is my dog Niki's story

http://www.k9diabetes.com/storynikid.html

Dolly and Angel Niki
                    Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Eddie is still doing well, especially given all his ailments. I am toying with trying to move him to raw feeding (using a commercial "complete" raw food to get consistency). When we fed him raw years ago, his itchiness got much better. We had to change to kibble because of his EPI but now we could revert to raw because he has different enzymes.

Millie our little terrier caught a big rabbit yesterday. She's a proper terrier - loves digging and hunting - she often comes in with her mouth full of mud because she has been trying to eat her way right down a rabbit hole! I had to take the rabbit away from her as I was fairly sure that Eddie would eat the whole thing if he found it, and I wasn't sure what that would do to his blood sugar...

One of the others, Toby, showed us what different food can do to them. We'd been looking after a friend's dog which ate Bakers food (which doesn't have a great reputation here). Toby is old and fussy and really liked the Bakers so we changed him on to it thinking he might as well have food he really likes. He then started drinking like a fish and peeing all over the place. After we had paid a large vet bill for the happy news that his blood was completely normal in every respect, it dawned on us that it might be the food. We changed him back to his old food and the drinking and peeing have returned to normal - hurray!

And just so he doesn't feel left out, I have to mention Spangle as well, our lovely collie, who is obsessed with chasing squeaky balls and is otherwise nice and uncomplicated!
                      Antonia
                      Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Soaphie is hanging in there. She had a much much much needed shower last week and it was actually quite sad. Her hind legs are so weak when just standing - taking a shower was quite a struggle. Thankfully they support her enough to walk around the block when her blood sugar allows - but standing is a different story (weird). She has a good sniffer to find us given she cannot see/hear. Last Monday was 5 months since we lost Sydney and it really really really affected me. It's so odd, human emotions, one day/week you are fine - the next day - BAM - it's like reliving it all over again.

We miss Syd and are SO very thankful that Soaphie is doing as well as she is...

T
                        Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Nice to hear what people are up to. Sonny, the diabetic rescue pug, is doing fine. Has to visit his doc this week for his annual shots. He goes for his 6 month post surgery eye exam on the 25th. I've been astounded he's had absolutely no post op issues with his eyes, ... grateful too.

He was a scrawny 18.4 lbs. when he arrived here, ... could visually count his ribs, 23.6 lbs. now. Looks much better.
                          Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post
                            Nice to hear what people are up to. Sonny, the diabetic rescue pug, is doing fine. Has to visit his doc this week for his annual shots. He goes for his 6 month post surgery eye exam on the 25th. I've been astounded he's had absolutely no post op issues with his eyes, ... grateful too.

He was a scrawny 18.4 lbs. when he arrived here, ... could visually count his ribs, 23.6 lbs. now. Looks much better.
                            Can we see some pictures of Sonnyboy?
                            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom View Post
                              Can we see some pictures of Sonnyboy?
                              Sure, ... took some Saturday and was wondering why they were so lousy. Turns out I had the macro setting on.

I'll get some tomorrow when he's in one his sun spots. Too late today, his sun spots are almost gone for the day.
                              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Working...
                              X