Rusty's Journey Sugarversary March 10!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rusty's Journey

Some people use the Inject Ease product. I never have but it can make a real difference for dogs who move around or might be difficult to inject. Are you warming up the insulin a bit? I used to let the insulin sit out for a half hour or hold the syringe between my lips. Looks silly but works! Also, are you using small gauge needles like 31?
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

We also inject while our dog eats. He usually doesn't even pause in his chewing. If yours is less greedy, then maybe try adding something really delicious to his usual food so that he is distracted by that. Also make sure you push it in quite quickly so it is all a very quick process.

Perhaps also try a different injection site. Our vet said it didn't much matter where we injected so long as we got it into him. My husband tends to use the shoulder but I prefer to use his flank near the end of his ribs. You might find that some places are less sensitive then others.

Just checking - some vets tell people to pull back the syringe plunger before pushing it in. It doesn't really seem to be necessary - but I just wanted to check you weren't doing that, which would prolong the whole process quite a bit.

(And remember that even if he does the odd yelp and wriggle, the injections are non-negotiable and he just has to put up with them. Remind yourself that with each injection you are in effect saving his life which is a bigger deal than him having momentary discomfort, however bad he makes you feel!).

Antonia
      Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Charlie is too food greedy to notice when I give his injections, but he believes in 'dancing with the Stars' for my husband
        Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I sing and dance for Rusty and am trying to make it a playful and joyful experience when it is time for his insulin injections.
          Seems to be working hope it continues but for now whatever works is good enough for me.
          Rusty 28lb male mixed breed. 7 1/2 units Humulin N 2x a day,Purina EN Fiber Balance, string beans and 2 cubes of chicken breast as a treat after injection. Afternoon snack of his kibble,string beans and a cube of chicken breast. AlphaTrak 2. Diagnosed with diabetes March 2015.

Comment

Rusty is doing really well these days and on 41/2 units of insulin. Wanted to share
            Rusty 28lb male mixed breed. 7 1/2 units Humulin N 2x a day,Purina EN Fiber Balance, string beans and 2 cubes of chicken breast as a treat after injection. Afternoon snack of his kibble,string beans and a cube of chicken breast. AlphaTrak 2. Diagnosed with diabetes March 2015.

Comment

thats great my jesse is on 3.5 to 4 units at 26 pounds so rusty is close to what jesse gets. its actually a dose thats lower than you would start for a dog at that weight and it doesn't seem that unusual

keep up the good work
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Yay! Glad to hear it!
                Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Yay!!! Very happy to hear it!

Natalie

Comment

Hi Everyone
                    Rusty has a vet appointment tomorrow and since he is responding so well to everything I just wanted to ask all of you if there is anything specific I should be asking the vet at this point.
                    Would really appreciate any input you might have. Thanks

Comment

Update on Rusty's appointment. Rusty is doing really well and the vet is very happy with his progress and so am I. Hard to believe that I am getting better adjusted with his day to day care...never thought I would make it.
                      I owe a lot of it to all of you here on this forum I have learned so much in the past couple of weeks. Thank you all!

Comment

yes the new normal glad things are going well
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Yay - glad he is doing good.
                          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Hi Everyone. Quick question for you guys will there ever be a time when Rusty can have something other than a string bean as a treat after his shot?
                            I only give him a baby carrot with his night time shot.
                            He weighs 35 lbs now and is eating Purina DCO 2 cups a day and 41/2 units of insulin
                            2x a day.

Comment

broccoli and cold green beans are good treats. carrots rnt cause there sugar. glad he,s doing well
                              Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                              20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty (Bobba) mom View Post
                                Quick question for you guys will there ever be a time when Rusty can have something other than a string bean as a treat after his shot?
                                Sure. I give Annie a tiny doggie style treat after her meal + injection, I just give it after just about every meal and consider it a part of the meal (consistently counts).

Just compare a few days blood glucose readings with, and without, the treat (desert) and see if it affects Rusty.

Craig
                                Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Working...
                                X