Daisy has Cushings and now diabetes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Daisy has Cushings and now diabetes

After talking with my vet, she intentionally increased the dose by one unit. The great thing about the animal hospital that Daisy goes to is that she has a primary veterinary, but also has 3 other vets with years of experience. My vet is humble enough to ask for input or advice when needed. In this case, she had not doubts that it was the best course of action.

Comment

Oh my. First attempt at using a lancet is an epic fail. I tried to test Daisy tonight. I was attempting to test at the base of the tail, like in the youtube video with Tiggy. I tried the lancet device that comes with the Alpha Trak 2 and set it to 2 figuring I didn't want to overdo it. Nothing. Then 4. Nothing. Then tried freehand. Nothing. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. I think her skin is too thick or something. I quit as soon as she seemed annoyed, since I want it to be as stress free as possible for her so she doesn't resist in the future.

Any ideas?

My cat was much easier.

Comment

I use to test just to the right and left of the tail. I shaved the area then rubbed it with a warm cloth. Then quick 2 or 3 jabs in the same spot with the needle not the lancet device. The squeezed abit to bring up the blood.

You could try the inside of the lip one poke then squeeze it abit.

Takes abit of practice eh, testing is fun
        Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

I also test at the base of the tail. Lately I have been having trouble getting blood and I blame the cold weather. I need to rub the area or keep my hand on it for awhile prior to testing. If Teddy has been outside just before I try - forget getting a decent drop of blood. I have had trouble with the alpha track lancet too and have had the best luck with the relion lancet device from Walmart - 26 gauge lancets. Don't forget to shave as close to the skin as possible. Takes practice! You will get there!
          Margaret; Teddy is a 10 year old 40 lb. cockapoo; relion-Novolin-N 2x - 17 units; Natural balance fish and sweet potato; blind from cataracts and glaucoma

Comment

This morning when I went to give Daisy her insulin, she was very anxious. She knows what's coming and doesn't like it. She flinched again, and I'm not sure she got the whole dose. Not much I can do about that. My concern is how to make it less stressful. She heads the other way if she suspects that it is time for the injection. I am by myself so I have no one to restrain her. I am warming up the syringe and insulin a bit before the injection. Help. She needs her insulin and I'm not sure how to help her tolerate the injections.

Comment

how are you standing? I put Jenny on a bathroom counter and when I had to I could hold her against my chest with my left hand and stick her with the right. She is better now so I only do that for testing blood sugar but she just knows that when she is on the counter she has to behave.

that is where I do her ear stuff too.

are you bribing her?
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Have you tried giving treats at the same time as the injection - something like a tiny piece of dried meat? Or if she eats reliably you can inject while she eats. This is what we do and he doesn't notice the injection most times. It doesn't work if you can't be confident that they will eat all their food otherwise there is a risk of overdosing.
                Apart from that, Amy's suggestion of pretend injections (using a pencil or similar and giving treats) just to build the association between injections and treats is probably the best idea.
                You can try different places on her body in case she is sensitive in some particular areas. We started on Eddie's shoulders but have gradually moved along his flanks. Also make sure you are not holding the syringe at too big an angle - we aim for 45 degrees rather than say 90 degrees to his body (if that makes sense!).
                Have you been told to draw back the syringe before injecting? Some vets recommend this but most people seem to do fine without it, and it can prolong the injection process.
                It can help to "tent" the skin in several places before actually picking a spot to inject - might desensitise them a bit.
                Finally, try to be as relaxed as possible when doing it - some people sing or hum to try to make sure they themselves are not too tense.
                It will get easier......it just takes a time with some of them.
                Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

The "trick" to stress free injections is to have the patient totally focused on something other than you.

With Otis, it was a simple as getting him interested in his "treats" while he got his shot. Once it became a routine, he was looking for his "treats" after he finished his meal.

I'd get him started gobbling up a couple of his favorite treats and he wouldn't even notice me giving him his shot.

On the other hand, if he wasn't focused on his treats ... he was focused on me. If I tried to "invade" his personal space to give him his shot, it was WAR! He'd resist as best he could.

I always won, only because I was a lot bigger. He got his shot, and I was left with an angry pug glaring at me. He got over it pretty quick, but it was a much smoother operation having him distracted.
                  Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

In the winter I have to really warm the shaved area on tiggy to get a good drop. Put some rice in a sock and pop it in the microwave for a while to get it really warm. Hold that in the shaved spot for a few seconds. Work wonders!!!

Sandy

Comment

Score. Peanut butter on the nose worked tonight.

Comment

yay for peanut butter!
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Does anyone use the ReliOn lancet device with success? I may pick one up tomorrow. I still cant get a drop of blood from Daisy.

Comment

I use the relion lancet with success!
                            Margaret; Teddy is a 10 year old 40 lb. cockapoo; relion-Novolin-N 2x - 17 units; Natural balance fish and sweet potato; blind from cataracts and glaucoma

Comment

I didn't like the Relion lancing device. The spring in the ones I got seemed weak or something, because the lancet would just bounce off without even penetrating (on the deepest setting). I know other people have used them with success, I just didn't have any success, even when I tried it on my own finger. I just hand poke with the 26g Relion lancets.
                              Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

I used a alpha trak 28 gauge lancet (because the reliOn device came with something like 30). I got a good drop. Daisy's first reading was 433! That was at 5:30, right before dinner and her insulin. Is that way too high? I did test her urine the other day and it was negative for ketones.

I gave her 5 units at 5:45 pm after her meal. It's 8 pm. She's now up to 600! Does that make sense?
                                Last edited by DaisysMom; 12-22-2013, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X