Levi - new thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Levi - new thread

You might want to double check the carb percentages of some kibble vs canned. And remember, carbs are needed, and carbs are good. So don't choose the food based on the lowest carbs. Look for good carbs in a food, with moderate protein and fiber content, and lower fat.

While it seems overwhelming, it really comes down to consistent feeding schedule, a dose of insulin, tweaking the insulin dose as needed each week, and eventually you find the right combo and it becomes routine.
    And as long as you can check blood sugar, that guides you on what's going on.
    Go buy some Humulin N at Shoppers. $30 a vial.
    Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

He is still on Lantus. I switched him to a senior kibble to try to get some weight off. Hes on 14u twice a day, every 12 hours, He doesnt go for walks that much anymore as its hard on him but when he asks we go for 10 mins. i read humulin N isnt that great either. what is nph? i test in his mouth under the lip. its the only spot he allows and i have to treat after or i wont get it next time. The bet recommended the vet brand of insulin to which i sed no because i cant afford it and was not going to put him down. Lantus was the next choice. they wanted him on 7u. it did not work. He continuously peed in the house every hour. i got nothing from them, no advice no nothing so i stepped up by myself also being diabetic. i dont know what Somogyi Rebound is.

dj
      Levi is a 71 lb Smooth Coat Border Collie X, born Apr 26, 2006. Retired Service Dog. Diabetes: Feb 2018
      Insulin: Lantus - Meter: Bayer Contour uSB

Comment

Hi again.

Glad you are now able to test. Have you been able to do a 12 hour curve or do you have some test BG readings that you can share?

NPH is an intermediate duration type of human insulin. Humulin N is an NPH insulin.

Rebound is the body’s natural response to blood glucose going too low, too fast. It is caused by a dog's insulin dose being too high. You can read about it here...

http://www.caninediabetes.org/pdorg/somogyi.htm
        Last edited by MikeMurphy; 10-10-2018, 05:19 AM.
        Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
        Diabetes: Aug 2013
        Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
        Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

I think the definition may not be complete in rebound . For me looking at jesse is big swings in sugar going lower is problematic for the body and she doesnt need to get to low sugar for it to occur

I can almost tell by symptoms as she will get lethargic and her inner lips will get reddish in color . At first i thought she was spiking but i would catch it on a drop that has been stopped in path by some force and was going up which i believe is the bodies stored sugar

this has been are primary conflict in jesses 8 years of being diabetic . Now this is just theoretical as most of this stuff is ( an educated guess ) . There may also be other factors that the body may spike sugar . Jesse had epilepsy and anxiety to load noises and that spiked her sugar probably from flooding the body with cortisol

the key to regulation for the body is stable sugar no big swings and i have seen where the body did not like any sugar below 150 . Probably do to the body becoming more accustomed to higher sugar
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I don't think many have good results with Lantus. It's not the usual recommended insulin. Lantus is too flat too control post eating sugar spikes. For us human diabetics, Lantus works in combination with fast insulin {tight control strategy).
            Hard to do with a dog, as you can't count on them to eat numerous times and at the right times. Humulin N {NPH) is the typical insulin.

I was surprised a vet recommended Lantus.
            Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Levi stopped eating and his organs started to shut down Thursday. He was 3 weeks shy of his 13th birthday. We took him to the vet who made him comfortable and we helped him to the bridge. Thank you for all of your support.
              Levi is a 71 lb Smooth Coat Border Collie X, born Apr 26, 2006. Retired Service Dog. Diabetes: Feb 2018
              Insulin: Lantus - Meter: Bayer Contour uSB

Comment

Levi sounds like he had a wonderful long life and well cared for . he was very fortunate to have had you to care for him
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

My sincere condolescences, from a fellow Ontarian.

Comment

My deepest sympathies at the loss of Levi.
                    Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

Working...
                    X