No announcement yet.

Angel Mochi December 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just got one high number after weeks of being regulated...

More than likely the skin condition is pushing the numbers up. You just have to do the best you can with it. I always felt Maggie had to have a decent quality of life so I was constantly treating those allergies with shots, apoquel, Zyrtec. A cone if needed and baths. It can be a struggle.
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I'm just so confused as to why it just spiked up out of nowhere after over a month and a half of having consistent good numbers..he's been always wearing the cone and always itchy. So I'm just confused to why it got high..last time I tested him was two days ago and it was at 190.

I don't understand this at all..and it's stressing me out so bad..
      Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
      Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
      Had cataract surgery June 2016.
      On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

there will probably be many times numbers could be higher and lower than what you are comfortable in your diabetic dogs life . this happens when you test sugar and catch these events . over time you will accept the things you cant really control

you just kind of role with it and usually things get back to normal . jesse has been a a good run for the last 3 month but before that she was running kind of hi for a period but thats the nature of the disease. blood sugar is not static ts constantly changing with what the body encounters
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Ok I've done three blood sugar checks and it seems to be dropping.

6pm (right before meal time) -427 (took another one just incase and it was at 393)
          6:30pm-fed and gave 4 units of insulin
          8:30pm-308
          10:30pm-266

Hopefully it will continue to drop back to his normal 100-200 range.

Is that a good drop between every two hours? Or should it be more?
          On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

large drops 100 points or more in a couple hours can be problematic and the body may respond to that dumping sugar into the system causing higher numbers

you like to see a slow steady drop in sugar but it depends on the individual dog

the drop you are seeing looks ok but if you see a big spike back up it can point to a dose being to much

seeing some high trends from time to time is ok its when you see a change over a period of time within a curve is when you may need a change or adjustment to the routine
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Thanks for letting me know. I went to sleep after that last curve and just took it again around 630 before his meal.
              It went back up to 289..is that not good to have it go back up?

I'm just desperately trying to get it back down to 200 and less...
              On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

i would not worry about it many would be very happy to have numbers in the high 200s some dont even get close to that

its easy to get a little uptight over numbers you dont like to see thats the burden of home testing . you will be surprised down the road you wont care much about stuff like this and take it in stride

Comment

Thank you Jesse girl for helping me calm down.
                  I just always feel like there could be a big problem and that's why his sugar just spikes out of nowhere...

right now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was because of his crazy bloody chewing of his feet yesterday a few times that got his sugars high.
                  On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

Skin condition could be causing stress, and that's enough to mess up sugars. Even with humans, I speak from experience as a diabetic. And don't expect good regulation to be consistent for the rest of his life. Expectations in diabetes will always surprise you. Happens to me all the time. You ask yourself why, but too many things are out of our control. But if numbers get out of whack for a while, then dig a little deeper.
                    History can be a poor predictor of future sugars. It's not black and white.
                    But just get back to your routine and things usually turn around.
                    Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Thank you Raysaint I'll try not to panic every time this happens..I'm just worried about his clumpy hair. How can I tell the difference between if he has hyperthyroid or cushings? I have a vet appointment next week but I'm just going crazy right now searching online for symptoms for both. The only symptom I'm getting from Mochi is his clumpy fur..but the vet told me not to worry about that when his fur became clumpy when he had pancreatitis and liver disease last year in February. I was asking him why his fur became so clumpy and my vet said that should be the last thing to worry about. But now since he's back to his normal energetic self I'm starting to freak out since his furs not growing back to the way it use to be.
                      On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

my dogs hair was aweful when first diagnosed. took 6 to 8 months on a good diet and insulin to bring his curly locks back for a nice shiny coat. it,l come back not to worry
                        Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Thank you Riley and Mo that actually gave me a huge relief knowing that it can just happen when a dog gets sick and newly diagnosed.
                          But it's been over a year and his hair is exactly the same...The worst is my dad shaving his bum hair so poop doesn't get stuck to it...and now it won't grow back properly and he looks like a baboon...
                          On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

I did the same thing and still get crazy over this.

Daisy's numbers were in the 500-600's daily and it scared me. Her curves were disheartening and I never thought I'd see the numbers comes down. She was just diagnosed at the end of January and we've been doing pretty well for a little over a month now. I had to learn to be patient. I did get pretty scared when I gave a fur shot last night, but everything worked out well.

I understand about the dingleberries. I had a long haired Chihuahua.
                            Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

i did change his food. he got more protein and amino acid like they say for a nice coat.

what food r u feeding and how much?
                              Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                              20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Riliey, does the Alphatrak work reliably with freestyle strips? I have a freestyle meter kit (pharmacist gave it to me) but have never used it, prefer my Accuchek. But it looks identical to the Alpha.
                                My insurance would cover freestyle strips.
                                Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Working...
                                X