Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Annie & Craig - Getting too smart!

Craig, words can't describe the time when our most loyal and true friend has to move on. Doesn't seem fair.
But we need to think about everything we learned from their companionship, and be very thankful and grateful to have had the opportunity to own a dog, and remember the positive influences it had on your lives.
Heartfelt condolences.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Founding Member

I'm so sorry Annie's time has come. She lived a blessed life with you guys and I know there will be an empty hole in your family. Godspeed Annie. No baths in heaven! Love, your k9 diabetes family
Old 09-05-2017, 10:14 AM
Founding Member

annie may have lived with diabetes longer than any other dog . its a testament to the care you gave her and her zest for life

you guys make a GREAT pair . always enjoyed her antics and how you rolled with them

me and jesse will be thinking of annie and you craig for a peaceful and a smooth transition to the other side surrounded by the ones that love her
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 09-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse girl View Post
annie may have lived with diabetes longer than any other dog . its a testament to the care you gave her and her zest for life

you guys make a GREAT pair . always enjoyed her antics and how you rolled with them

me and jesse will be thinking of annie and you craig for a peaceful and a smooth transition to the other side surrounded by the ones that love her
Annie was one month short of being 16 years old and diabetic for over 9Ĺ years.

What am I going to do at 4am without Annie to take outside?

Craig
Old 09-05-2017, 12:41 PM

Oh Craig, my heart hurts for you. It's so very hard, even when we know it's "time". I recently lost my oldest schnauzer, Bailey, (non-diabetic) 5 weeks ago. He was 15.5 yrs old. I heart aches so bad for him and I am still having hard time realizing he's gone. He and my Gus were buddies. And, with him being older, I had to care for him with his senior problems, as well, as take care of my Gus with his diabetic routine. We had a special bond, as I know you and your Annie did. Hold on to your precious memories, and it's okay to grieve. You had your precious Annie for 16 long years and the bond you two shared was pretty special. "Hugs" to you, Craig.
10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016
Old 09-05-2017, 01:37 PM

Craig,
I am so sorry to hear the news about Annie. The two of you were a true inspiration to those of us with senior pets. I'm keeping you in my thought and prayers.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:05 PM

So sorry to hear this, Craig. You've taken great care of Annie's diabetic needs for the last 9 years, providing your buddy with a great quality of life, despite this disease. They're smart little beings, and she knows how much you've done to care for her and how much she's loved as a cherished member of your family..

Again, Craig, I'm very saddened to learn this and offer my deepest condolences to you and yours, ... and Godspeed to Annie.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Last edited by farrwf; 09-06-2017 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:49 PM

Craig, I am so sorry and my heart hurts. Annie had the best of care and you did such a wonderful job. Through Annie's journey you both have helped so many and inspired me to know it can be done.
Daisy 11 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 5.5 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily
Old 09-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Craig... I knew this day was not far off but hoped against hope that she could stay longer. I suspect the seizures were a symptom of the thing you couldn't get past and it was only a matter of time. It seems to me that your decision-making was exactly right.

I'm just so sad. I think Annie must hold some kind of a record for living with diabetes, with much of the responsibility for that down to you and your incredibly dedicated care for her.

Sending her a kiss skyward and a hug to your and yours.

Natalie
Old 09-05-2017, 07:50 PM

Craig I can't think of any words to describe How bad I feel knowing You to had to make the decision to let Annie go. I have been there a few times in my life also and I always have a hard time understanding why our Furry Friends can't stay with us longer.
Our Hearts go out to You and your Family My Friend .
Dogg
My Pal of 12 years 83.5 lbs Spayed Lab Mix Coco (Coke) Diagnosed 7/24/17--22 units (Relion)Novolin N twice a day.Feeding 1cup Whole Earth (grain free) Kibble/ 7oz's Vital Beef/BisonRaw/ 1 cube pumpkin and 1 cube black bean 2 X day