Teeth Cleaning for Diabetic Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teeth Cleaning for Diabetic Dog

Yukon's last teeth cleaning was 2017, when he was Cushing & Diabetes free.

I have been told by the vet and also from my observation that his teeth are really dirty. I am so torn on whether or not to make an appointment to have his teeth cleaned.

I called the vet that I usually go to clean his teeth and asked if they clean diabetic dogs teeth. She said they do after putting me on hold and checking with the lab girls.

I asked her how it would work as far as the insulin/food the day of the procedure and she said I would need to give him 1/2 the insulin dosage and just a small amount of food that day. They would run blood work when I bring him in to make sure it is safe to put him under for the teeth cleaning.

I know his teeth are dirty and I read that it contributes to high blood sugars - I am just torn whether or not I should do it.
    15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Re: Teeth Cleaning for Diabetic Dog

members have had there diabetic dogs teeth cleaned and i think for the most part it went well . Your vets plan sounds good . Now zymox puts out a good product for dogs teeth that is diabetic dog friendly . Of course it wont be immediate results but over time could make a difference . My jesse has not ever had her teeth cleaned she may have some plaque but has no gum problems and now she is older and for me i dont want to put her under at her senior age
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Jenny had hers done twice after her diagnosis. Our vet was very nervous but monitored my girl closely and it was fine. It's always a risk but infections can lead to higher blood sugar also.

I think after the 2nd one the vet told me no more. Jenny was probably 14 then so we thanked her and agreed.
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thanks. I am really torn. I made th appointment for May 20th, that's the soonest I could get in. I will have to sit on it and decide later. I just wonder if that is what is causing him to be high in BG. I wiped his teeth with dentacetic wipes every other day, but that doesn't take the thick plaque off.
        15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

Unless you are seeing inflamed gums or evidence of gum disease there may not be a problem. just because you see plaque doesnt mean you have a problem .
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

If it was just done in 2017, I always thought it was only needed once or twice in a lifetime, unless there was gum disease. My dog has some slight discolouration at the top of his teeth, but the vet said his gums are pink and moist, so let it go.

I think it’s a stretch to think a bit of tartar is causing high sugar.
            Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Thank you.

I am going to have my vet look and assess. I don't mind the tartar, I just don't want it to interfere with his regulation.

Comment

Working...
              X